Testing the Master Cylinder

This is a discussion on Testing the Master Cylinder within the Manual Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; I have been having hydraulic clutch problems (see my other thread) and to sum it up I pulled the master ...

Black
    00 NHRA Formula

Testing the Master Cylinder

I have been having hydraulic clutch problems (see my other thread) and to sum it up I pulled the master cylinder out of the car and tried to test it to see if it was still functioning.

There is not a lot of info out there on testing either the slave or master other than just bleeding or replace.

Again out of car I cannot push the bar/plunger (clutch pedal side) down into the master cylinder as its rock hard. Which from the little bit of info I could find means it checks out ok.

I also used a mityvac in the reservoir and it holds the pressure/vacuum like a champ and still not able to pump the master.
    While pushing in the quick connect on the braided line I can pump the plunger/rod and fluid comes out like it should

Now it would seem to me this means the Master if fine...Does anyone else have knowledge/experience that says otherwise?

So unfortunately it looks like my slave will need to be replaced and figuring out how I will get to that

Black
    98 T/A

Deja vu.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by bryceslu View Post
    I have been having hydraulic clutch problems (see my other thread) and to sum it up I pulled the master cylinder out of the car and tried to test it to see if it was still functioning.

There is not a lot of info out there on testing either the slave or master other than just bleeding or replace.

Again out of car I cannot push the bar/plunger (clutch pedal side) down into the master cylinder as its rock hard. Which from the little bit of info I could find means it checks out ok.

I also used a mityvac in the reservoir and it holds the pressure/vacuum like a champ and still not able to pump the master.
    While pushing in the quick connect on the braided line I can pump the plunger/rod and fluid comes out like it should

Now it would seem to me this means the Master if fine...Does anyone else have knowledge/experience that says otherwise?

So unfortunately it looks like my slave will need to be replaced and figuring out how I will get to that
    That is how mine was when I had mine out for the Drill Mod. So yes, I think your Master is ok.

Black
    00 NHRA Formula

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    That is how mine was when I had mine out for the Drill Mod. So yes, I think your Master is ok.
    Thanks! That is what I have been thinking...just was hoping i could get away with not having to drop my transmission.

Black
    98 T/A

I am confused. You were NOT able to press the plunger into the M/C out of the car b/c it was too stiff? Then how would you bench bleed it? When I did mine I was able to pump my M/C fairly easy. Hell, maybe that's the problem with mine. I'll find out later tonight though. My Tick M/C will be here any minute.
    Last edited by RollOut; 03-29-2011 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Grammar

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by bryceslu View Post
    Thanks! That is what I have been thinking...just was hoping i could get away with not having to drop my transmission.
    You'll be dropping your trans to replace your slave.

Black
    00 NHRA Formula

Quote Originally Posted by RollOut View Post
    I am confused. You were NOT able to press the plunger into the M/C out of the car b/c it was too stiff? Then how would you bench bleed it? When I did mine I was able to pump my M/C fairly easy. Hell, maybe that's the problem with mine. I'll find out later tonight though. My Tick M/C will be here any minute.
    With the master unplugged from the slave you should NOT be able to push in the pedal/plunger.

Black
    98 T/A

Ok, I missed that you w weren't pushing in on the black party of the disconnect.

Thread Information