Black
    1985 Iroc-Z

Question TA and Camaro T-56 Six Speed Question

I have a question about the six speed transmissions that were pit into the 98-02 F bodies. I have been looking to purchase an F body car so I have been test driving quite a few. I test drove one that was a 98 TA non WS6, and it was supposively all original and it had the factory looking hurst shifter that said hurst down the side of it, and I have looked at other 99 and 00 TA WS6 and non WS6 and I have noticed that they do not have that knob or shifter, are the ones with the Hurst shifter real hurst transmissions? Did they put hurst transmissions in the TA's and Camaros? If so, what cars did they put them in? How do I tell if the one I am going to be purchasing has a real hurst tranny? I havent seen any in the Camaros...did they have it? Let me know if you know anything, Thanks!

Arctic White
    2001 WS.6

They all have the same 6 speed. There was a factory short shifter option which included a Hurst shifter, but you are better off with a aftermarket piece.

Orig Regist: 9/98

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6 'Vert

Quote Originally Posted by TRIROCZ View Post
    I have a question about the six speed transmissions that were pit into the 98-02 F bodies. I have been looking to purchase an F body car so I have been test driving quite a few. I test drove one that was a 98 TA non WS6, and it was supposively all original and it had the factory looking hurst shifter that said hurst down the side of it, and I have looked at other 99 and 00 TA WS6 and non WS6 and I have noticed that they do not have that knob or shifter, are the ones with the Hurst shifter real hurst transmissions? Did they put hurst transmissions in the TA's and Camaros? If so, what cars did they put them in? How do I tell if the one I am going to be purchasing has a real hurst tranny? I havent seen any in the Camaros...did they have it? Let me know if you know anything, Thanks!
    The factory Hurst shifter option was not available until the '99 MY, and it did not say "Hurst" down the side of the shift rod, only said Hurst on the leather handle IIRC. That '98 you drove had an aftermarket shifter.

Firebirds and Camaros had the same options available to them WRT the transmissions. WS6s didn't include anything special about the shifter either, the Hurst shifter was available as an option from '99-'02 whether it was a WS6 or not.

Like was said, the Hurst shifter had nothing to do w/ the transmission underneath, they all had the Tremec T56 (although I believe the earlier LT1 cars had a Borg-Warner T56, same trans design, different mfr. no?).

Johnny B - '98 "Triple Black" WS6 Convert, M6, All Options, ASC #3030 (1 of 50)
    KBDDSFC, DGM C/F Tonneau, MTI C/F Lid, K&N, HPP-III, 160 T-stat, Pro 5.0
    Link to Firebird Production Breakdowns

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag View Post
    The factory Hurst shifter option was not available until the '99 MY, and it did not say "Hurst" down the side of the shift rod, only said Hurst on the leather handle IIRC. That '98 you drove had an aftermarket shifter.

Firebirds and Camaros had the same options available to them WRT the transmissions. WS6s didn't include anything special about the shifter either, the Hurst shifter was available as an option from '99-'02 whether it was a WS6 or not.

Like was said, the Hurst shifter had nothing to do w/ the transmission underneath, they all had the Tremec T56 (although I believe the earlier LT1 cars had a Borg-Warner T56, same trans design, different mfr. no?).
    I've never heard that the Hurst wasn't available until '99, are you positive about that??

The LT1 4th gens used the T56 also, but it was a different version, with different gearing and a different bellhousing. Earlier transmissions (up to '98) were stamped Borg Warner on the side, later models (99+) were stamped Tremec on the side. Tremec bought out Borg Warner, so its the same transmission, only difference is the stamping.

The Hurst shifter was available before but only with the SLP SS cars.
    Th factory -installed Hurst shifter was available on any 6 speed car after '97 MY.

Thread Information