Thread: T56 Upgrades?

Black
    2002 Camaro SS

T56 Upgrades?

I was having shifting issues last summer and dropped the tranny and found the 3-4 synchro keys were broken and giving me trouble. We replaced the 3-4 keys with billet keys, and I figured while we're in there I'd replace the 3-4 shift fork with a steel one.

Well, we put the tranny back together and got it in the car and I don't have 6th gear, so it's going to be coming back out in the next month or so.

So what are some necessary upgrades? I'm running pretty much stock, although over time that will hopefully change. Should I buy billet keys for all the synchos? There are also bronze fork pads and bronze shifter bushings. I just don't know what's worth it...

Thanks for the help!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

If you are doing all the work yourself, and already have it apart, I personally would upgrade to the bronze bushings and fork pads and replace all of the keys with solid ones. The parts aren't that expensive and it would reduce your risk of ever having to pull it out again in the event one did break or wear out.

With that being said, the two things that are prone to breaking in the T56 are synchronizer keys and the 3-4 fork. I know 3-4 keys break during power shifting (don't ask how I know). The only other piece worth replacing I believe in the main input shaft, which is more geared for higher HP applications.

Thread Information