Black
    1998 Camaro

T56 - Lost 5th and 6th gear

This is my first post in this forum.

Wifey took my 98 Camaro SS out one night and asked when I lost 5th and 6th gear. They were working fine and then both were gone at the same time. It feel like it can shift into 5th and 6th, but then the engine just revs like it's in neutral.

I did notice that 5th gear buzzed me out 2 times over the past month, but other than that it's been smooth. I have no issues shifting into 1, 2, 3, 4, and R.

Other than both synchros going out at the same time, is there something I should focus on that's common between 5th and 6th gear.

My clutch, fly wheel, master and slave cylinders are all a year old.

Thanks,

silver
    2002 ws6 ta convertible

Same exact thing happened to me and it was the bearing in the case that the 5th 6th shaft rides in it melted and cocked the shaft in the case cost me like 500 to fix it check the fluid level that will tell you alot

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    2002 WS6 TA VERT M6 HOOKER SUPER COMPS ORY AND CAT BACK TUNE DONE BY CHARLES AT GREAD TUNNING!!

2007 Z71 EXTENDED CAB PROGRAMMER COLD AIR
    TRUE DUALS

Fairly common problem with T56's. You either sheared the teeth off the cluster gear and main shaft for 5th and 6th, or you have a broken shift fork/shift pads.

Since you didn't loose reverse, it sounds like the mainshaft. Time for a teardown and rebuild.

black
    2000 camaro ss

hmm i had mine "buzz" a few times too. more like a resonation through the whole car tho. still have not ripped it down to figure it out but am very interested to see what you find. mine has under 26k on it too

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Mileage really plays no factor. It comes down to how you beat on your car and how you shift it

My T56 broke at 12K miles (3-4 synchro keys busted) and my car is a garage queen

Having an aftermarket shifter with solid stops helps so you don't overshift.

black
    2000 camaro ss

wow 12k? thats crazy! hope it was under warranty. i drive my car hard at times but for the most part just cruising around. i dont mind taking the trans apart because i wanna do some of the common upgrades to it (billet keys, upgraded forks etc..) but my last ss had 70k on it and never had any probs. like you say it's how its driven but i guess sometimes you just get one thats not put together as good as the rest.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

It wasn't under warranty because the car was 7 years old when it happened

black
    2000 camaro ss

that stinks but im looking at the manual and it seems like doing anything with 5th or 6th gear is not very hard since they are on a shaft at the back of the trans. if i didnt wanna do upgrades i would fix it in the car and just pull the tailshaft housing off.

Quote Originally Posted by black2kSS View Post
    that stinks but im looking at the manual and it seems like doing anything with 5th or 6th gear is not very hard since they are on a shaft at the back of the trans. if i didnt wanna do upgrades i would fix it in the car and just pull the tailshaft housing off.
    That is correct, you can access 5th and 6th gears through the tailshaft. But if it's shaved teeth off the mainshaft, which is common with these T56's, then it'll all come apart anyway.
    If you lost reverse too, then the cluster gear is probably also toast.

Either way, with all the trash that is floating around now, I'd be inclined to tear the whole thing down anyway.

black
    2000 camaro ss

good point on the damage and parts floating around. i have not drained the fluid yet so ill see when i do if there is any metal flakes or chunks of what used to be expensive parts in there. i hope the main shaft is good still but if 5th gear is bad that means at least 2 gears that need to be replaced. i also am hoping that the shaft 5 and 6 are on is good. ill find out when i get back from this deployment. it will be a good winter project

Thread Information