t56 issue?

This is a discussion on t56 issue? within the Manual Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; Ok here goes. I have notice for a while that when shifting at low rpm, i get a clunk, did ...

red
    2002 35th LE SS

t56 issue?

Ok here goes.
    I have notice for a while that when shifting at low rpm, i get a clunk, did some investigating on this site and chalked it up to drive line slop. During my last fluids change i decided to give everything a once over and notice my drive shaft had some play and in twisting it my rear end was making a similar clunk to what i had been hearing. So i jacked the car up today to pull the cover and have a look inside the rear, and just for fun i start the car with the wheels off the ground and let off the clutch in first and i hear the same sound coming from what seems like the trans. (its like the drive shaft is rocking back and forth quickly) like a clunk clunk clunk really quickly. and i get lots of jumping around from the drive line. My tail shaft is leaking but very very little. My car is a bone stock camaro ss 35th LE and i just rolled over 80,000. could this be a bad mount i looked but everything seems fine, i can wiggle the input shaft of the driveshaft in the trans tail shaft ever so slightly seems normal to me. Anybody have any thoughts?

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

U-joints and suspension components are the first thing to check before assuming the worst, especially with the age and mileage of your car. Some degree of driveline slop is normal and it is best if you can compare yours against a known good setup before drawing conclusions. The front torque arm mount is another likely culprit. Let us know what you find.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I would think it is a U-Joint.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

red
    2002 35th LE SS

Changed the u-joints and its still not any better. However i pulled the cover on my rear to see if maybe i lost a bearing. From that angle {looking straight down the drive line) it is a mount issue of some kind. The entire driveline rocks back and forth, not just the driveshaft. Ill be changing motor mounts and trans mounts and the like. I will let you guys know about my progress. Thanks for your help. you guys were a huge help!

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Transmission mount is also a known issue on our cars. Take note that some members, myself included, have had issues with increased vibration after installing a poly trans mount. I left mine in for a few days and then swapped the stock piece back in its place. Poly engine mounts are fine and it could be that yours are worn or ripped out.

Thread Information