Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

T56- How bad are they?

This is a discussion on T56- How bad are they? within the Manual Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; Originally Posted by Mr. Luos The Viper gets a stronger T56 than the F-Body got. i know, but he was ...

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    The Viper gets a stronger T56 than the F-Body got.
    i know, but he was talking about the T-56 in general, he didnt say anything about body specific

Black on black.
    2001 WS6 M6 (stock)

Quote Originally Posted by FormulaFiend View Post
    Sweet I figured as much... He said something about really weak syncros or some gay shit like that LoL Note to self: Don't trust a dude with David Hasselhoff's hairstyle. lmao
    The syncro's are kinda weak and if you powershift/beat on it you will take 3rd gear's syncros out fast. It is FAR from bullet-proof when it comes to the shift-forks and syncros.

Usually what happens is the clutch hydraulics go out, the clutch doesnt disenguage all the way, the owner doesnt notice or assumes the harder shifts are "ok" and the syncros get chewed up.

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

if you powershift any transmission its bound to have problems. its not exactly the safe thing to do to maintain a tranny, power shifting is terrible on it and the rest of the drive train....

Black on black.
    2001 WS6 M6 (stock)

Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    if you powershift any transmission its bound to have problems. its not exactly the safe thing to do to maintain a tranny, power shifting is terrible on it and the rest of the drive train....
    Some take it better than others though. The syncros are the weak-part of a T56, that and shift forks.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    The Viper gets a stronger T56 than the F-Body got.

Although that isn't meant to say the F-Body version is weak.
    I am still 100% stock when it comes to my tranny. Shifts great, holds great.
    Soon to see what kind of abuse it will take though.
    yeah... vipers don't have paper in thiers like we do... wtf were you thinking gm?!

Black on black.
    2001 WS6 M6 (stock)

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    yeah... vipers don't have paper in thiers like we do... wtf were you thinking gm?!
    Old mustang T5's had paper syncros and there are PLENTY of OEM tranny equipped 5.0's rolling around that have had replaced motors, wrecked bodies, ect. That T5 keeps on going. Paper syncros arent that bad. The Viper even had em' when it first came out.

If it makes you feel any better your internal engine (if you have an LS1) has a good bit of plastic in it in critical areas too

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by stanger88 View Post
    Old mustang T5's had paper syncros and there are PLENTY of OEM tranny equipped 5.0's rolling around that have had replaced motors, wrecked bodies, ect. That T5 keeps on going. Paper syncros arent that bad. The Viper even had em' when it first came out.

If it makes you feel any better your internal engine (if you have an LS1) has a good bit of plastic in it in critical areas too
    Don't know what kind of power you're putting on the 5.0 you played with but I break them ALL the time. But then again I'm hooking and blowing big bottle.
    The World Class is a Little better but NOT much. Tremecs TKO600 have held up great for use.
    Another reason why you might of had good luck with them is using a regular street tire.
    If you want some T-5 parts let me know we have 5-8 them junkers broke laying around.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Black on black.
    2001 WS6 M6 (stock)

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    Don't know what kind of power you're putting on the 5.0 you played with but I break them ALL the time. But then again I'm hooking and blowing big bottle.
    The World Class is a Little better but NOT much. Tremecs TKO600 have held up great for use.
    Another reason why you might of had good luck with them is using a regular street tire.
    If you want some T-5 parts let me know we have 5-8 them junkers broke laying around.
    The TKo500 in my GT is just fine, no need for T5 parts. That being said my friend has run 12.2@109mph for a couple of seasons on his STOCK, NON-WC T5. Tell me 12.2@109 isn't hooking...

My point is this: When a T5 breaks, its 3rd gear. NOT THE SYNCROS. and the Paper syncro was what was being dogged. We all know a Ford T5 isnt the most robust, but I dont hear much complaining about the syncros. Even in 20 year-old GT's. I think paper is just fine. Sure, CF is better, but then again, an LS6 is better than an LS1. I am not going to say my LS1 is junk though.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

The TKo500 in my GT is just fine, no need for T5 parts. That being said my friend has run 12.2@109mph for a couple of seasons on his STOCK, NON-WC T5. Tell me 12.2@109 isn't hooking...

My point is this: When a T5 breaks, its 3rd gear. NOT THE SYNCROS. and the Paper syncro was what was being dogged. We all know a Ford T5 isnt the most robust, but I dont hear much complaining about the syncros. Even in 20 year-old GT's. I think paper is just fine. Sure, CF is better, but then again, an LS6 is better than an LS1. I am not going to say my LS1 is junk though.
    Yeah 12.20 could be hooking up but in are area that is not fast!! We do that with stock motors with bolt-ons. I was going 11.40's with a 91 stock heads,baby E Motorsport grind cam,& the bottle. Anyways.....
    Good Luck to all and keep that fluid changed it does help. And if your not sue if your shifter is adjusted properly take it to someone that knows what they are doing and can adjust the stops properly.

Some take it better than others though. The syncros are the weak-part of a T56, that and shift forks.
    If you going to have a weak link syncros and forks are ok. Atleast it doesn't grenade the whole trans.

Maybe the t 5 holds up so well because the older mustangs had like 180rwhp. How hard can that be on a trans?

Black on black.
    2001 WS6 M6 (stock)

Quote Originally Posted by blackdeath View Post
    Maybe the t 5 holds up so well because the older mustangs had like 180rwhp. How hard can that be on a trans?
    Horsepower has NOTHING to do with syncros. Not one bit. Paper/CF was the topic. The T5 is an example of a tranny that does VERY WELL with paper syncros.

Just to set the record straight ALL vipers had the carbon blockers. Also the first Fcars had carbon blockers as well. The change to paper was done as a shift quality improvement. It may also have been done for $ save.
    The synchros no not see HP , as was said , they see RPM and inertia. They match speed of rotating parts. The engine is actually removed from the equation if the shift is done properly. The T56 is a larger trans than a T5 and the synchronizers NEED to have a larger capacity.
    BTW T5s behind 5.0s also had carbon 3/4 blockers because the paper would not hold up on high energy shifts.The 1/2s were paper.

Quote Originally Posted by 30thbird View Post
    Just to set the record straight ALL vipers had the carbon blockers. Also the first Fcars had carbon blockers as well. The change to paper was done as a shift quality improvement. It may also have been done for $ save.
    The synchros no not see HP , as was said , they see RPM and inertia. They match speed of rotating parts. The engine is actually removed from the equation if the shift is done properly. The T56 is a larger trans than a T5 and the synchronizers NEED to have a larger capacity.
    BTW T5s behind 5.0s also had carbon 3/4 blockers because the paper would not hold up on high energy shifts.The 1/2s were paper.
    Good to know.

black
    2002 camaro SS

mines fine and i whip the shit out of it

Black on black.
    2001 WS6 M6 (stock)

I agree on all points except that the first Vipers did have paper syncros. This according to T56rebuilds' Amber.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

That is not correct. T56 rebuilds said that they have never had a T56 from an F-Body with carbon fiber blocker rings from the factory. F-bodies only came with the paper blocker rings stock.
    Last edited by Wesman; 05-14-2007 at 01:56 PM.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    That is not correct. T56 rebuilds said that they have never had a T56 from an F-Body with carbon fiber clocker rings from the factory. F-bodies only came with the paper blocker rings stock.

Wesman:
    Again you speak of that which you do not know . All T56s had carbon rings in the first 1-2 years of production. That was with the early 3.06 and 2.97 gearsets.The rings in the Fcar were changed to paper right about the the time of the 2.66 gearset. Vipers have always had carbon , always. T56rebuilds may be a sponsor and a capable rebuilder of T56s but if that is truely what they told you( you probably didn't hear it right) they ar hardly an authority on the lineage of T56s. We all know that you are not an expert just opinionated and rude. Heck you can't even spell blocker right.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    That is not correct. T56 rebuilds said that they have never had a T56 from an F-Body with carbon fiber clocker rings from the factory. F-bodies only came with the paper blocker rings stock.
    Thats what I was under the impression of myself also.....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information