T56 GTO interchange question

This is a discussion on T56 GTO interchange question within the Manual Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; I'm currently looking for a LS1 T56 for my LS1 swap. I found one from a 2004 GTO and wonder ...

red
    94 Z28

T56 GTO interchange question

I'm currently looking for a LS1 T56 for my LS1 swap. I found one from a 2004 GTO and wonder if it will work in an F body. I assume the tail shaft will have to be swapped and was hoping the one from my present 94 LT1 T56 would work.

Any info anyone has would be awsome.

Re'

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

You try eBay??

There is almost always tons of used and rebuilt T56's floating around on there for cheap. You could get one specifically from an LS1, no modifications necessary.

As for the GTO transmission, the gear ratios are different (doesn't matter just letting you know) and the shifter is totallt different. Its a remote-mount unit, not sure of it installs in the tranmission anywhere close to where the F-Body shifter goes in. Bellhousing and clutch should be the same, however.

The LT1 T56 has a different length input shaft, I believe. The LT1 uses a pull-style clutch, so the distance between the transmission and the motor is larger, meaning the bellhousing is longer. So after the input dhaft is seated in the crank, you'd probably still have some distance between the bellhousing and the block. So I don't believe that will work for you.

red
    94 Z28

Romote mount??? Crap... Have to get a pic of it and see.

Ones on Ebay usually run 1k+ with near 100k on them. I found this one with 20k on it for $800. I was just hoping.

Re'

The GTO trans will work in an Fcar. The gear ratio set is different ( 2.97 LGR)and the synchronizers have more elements( higher capacity). You will not have to change the mainshaft. The shifter bolt pattern is the same as an F-car so you can swap shifters. You will, however , also have the swap the offset lever as well. This is the part that attaches to the shift rail and is what the shifter fits into.

red
    94 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 30thbird View Post
    The GTO trans will work in an Fcar. The gear ratio set is different ( 2.97 LGR)and the synchronizers have more elements( higher capacity). You will not have to change the mainshaft. The shifter bolt pattern is the same as an F-car so you can swap shifters. You will, however , also have the swap the offset lever as well. This is the part that attaches to the shift rail and is what the shifter fits into.

Is that easily changed once the shifter is removed??

Re'

Easier than a mainshaft swap . Not too bad. Check a T56 manual ( they are free to download a PDF) and you will see.Good luck with your project.

Thread Information