Black
    2002 Trans Am

T-56 Hard To Get In Gear

Tranny has always been somewhat difficult to get in gear. What's weird is when car is off, M6 shifts into gears effortlessly. But when first cranked, it's nearly impossible to get in any of the six gears including reverse. Once you start driving car, it does find.

I recently had forged internals installed by D & D Performance in Detroit, but still the same issues. Also, I've installed a Spec Stage 2 Clutch.

But here again, it acted this way when it was bone stock. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by rockojugs View Post
    Tranny has always been somewhat difficult to get in gear. What's weird is when car is off, M6 shifts into gears effortlessly. But when first cranked, it's nearly impossible to get in any of the six gears including reverse. Once you start driving car, it does find.

I recently had forged internals installed by D & D Performance in Detroit, but still the same issues. Also, I've installed a Spec Stage 2 Clutch.

But here again, it acted this way when it was bone stock. Does anyone have any thoughts?
    I have an 01 M6 and have a similar problem does the car sit on where its cold?

Black
    2002 Trans Am

Generally sits in climate controlled garage. When your car is turned off, will shifter go into the gears easily?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

you have a clutch problem. For some reason the clutch (or bad pilot bearing) is grabbing/spinning the input shaft with the clutch pedal on the floor. The synchros are fighting against the clutch to match the speed of the gears. It could be a hydraulics issue

Black
    2002 Trans Am

Thanks. Clutch hasn't been in very long. Less than a 1,000 miles on it. What's so weird is when the car is being driven it shifts into gear just fine. It's only when it's cranked initially does it have a hard time going into gear. Should I go back to Square One and pull tranny out and check clutch?

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by rockojugs View Post
    Thanks. Clutch hasn't been in very long. Less than a 1,000 miles on it. What's so weird is when the car is being driven it shifts into gear just fine. It's only when it's cranked initially does it have a hard time going into gear. Should I go back to Square One and pull tranny out and check clutch?
    Definitely. As always, Cutlass is dead on the money. If the car shifts effortlessly into the gears with the engine off, but is very difficult to engage gears when running, then the clutch is dragging or your pilot bearing is bad.

As mentioned, this could be caused by bad hydraulics (or air in the line), improper throwout bearing to pressure plate clearance (shims needed behind slave), or a bad pilot bearing.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 SGM
    Lid, Pro 5.0, WS6 Short Stick, LS7 Clutch, TB Bypass, Detroit TrueTrac, Poly Mounts, Bilstein Shocks, LS6 Intake, SFCs, CTS-V Brake Upgrade, STB, Nitto 555's. SS Longtube Headers and True Duals w/ H pipe and Magnaflows. Tuned by Harris Speed Works. 341.4WHP/346.1 lb/ft.

Thread Information