Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Stock Clutch Durability

This is a discussion on Stock Clutch Durability within the Manual Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; i went to the track last night and on my second run my spec clutch ( 2001 spec...not sure which ...

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

i went to the track last night and on my second run my spec clutch ( 2001 spec...not sure which model ..2 or 3 prolly) stuck to the floor pretty bad when i grabbed second...after the run we left and as im speeding up i can hear a slight rubbing/metal noise and it gets louder as i go faster...push the clutch in and it goes away..im assuming somthing is rubbing up agaisnt my flywheel..i was told my newera that the older spec clutchs are junk.especialy the older spec 3s.....so whats wrong with my car? im asssuming im gonnna need a new clutch/prolly flywheel as well come spring.....my car only has 20k miles on it....oh and it wasnt grabbing hardly at all after leaving the track...once it cooled down it grabbed normal again but the noise is STILL there.....def dosnt sound healthy

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by tonyjnjz View Post
    i went to the track last night and on my second run my spec clutch ( 2001 spec...not sure which model ..2 or 3 prolly) stuck to the floor pretty bad when i grabbed second...after the run we left and as im speeding up i can hear a slight rubbing/metal noise and it gets louder as i go faster...push the clutch in and it goes away..im assuming somthing is rubbing up agaisnt my flywheel..i was told my newera that the older spec clutchs are junk.especialy the older spec 3s.....so whats wrong with my car? im asssuming im gonnna need a new clutch/prolly flywheel as well come spring.....my car only has 20k miles on it....oh and it wasnt grabbing hardly at all after leaving the track...once it cooled down it grabbed normal again but the noise is STILL there.....def dosnt sound healthy
    Sounds like the pop rivets in the clutch disc are making contact with the flywheel. Meaning the clutch is badly worn. Take it apart and check it out, chnces are the disc is causing the rubbing/metal noise.

Black
    1999 Z28

Clutch noises

I have install a new Clutch LS6 Kit. I but new Master cylinder of Ram and Slave Cylinder of Rams and a Kevlar pilot bearing It make a lot of noise. When you press the clutch in, the noise go away. What can be the problem?? What is the best clutch kit to handle 500 to 600 rhp??

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

the clutch needs to break in..like 500 miles or so i hear..the sound will go away.
    mods- suncoast creations hood with functional lt1 style airbox, ls6 intake, QTP longtube headers, QTP ORY, UMI SFC, Adj. LCA with relo brackets, UMI adj. panhard bar, Koni SA and strano springs,Torq Thrust M 17s 9.5 and 10.5 with nitto 555Rs, tuned by Frost
    Quote Originally Posted by Modulistic View Post
    sometimes you get owned, sometimes you own.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information