Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Awaiting Activation

Stock Clutch Durability

I am wondering how much power can the stock clutch hold? I have a lid and catback, and want lt headers and a fairly big cam. So figure around 380rwhp. Will the stock clutch hold up? Will I dammage my trans by having that much power on a stock clutch?

Black on black.
    2001 WS6 M6 (stock)

stock clutch = on barrowed time
    stock tranny= shift normally and it should handle it (just what I hear...)

black
    98 z28

i am running long tube headers and a 228/228 588/588 112 cam and have about 385 hp at the wheels. My buddy is running similar mods plus a couple extra and has 400 at the wheels, both of us are still on stock clutches. Under normal driving the stock clutch works fine, but we don't do this kind of work to our cars to drive it normal now do we. My clutch is temporaly working but I do not know for how long. If you are pushing that kind of power you probably should expect to upgrade your clutch as well.

Awaiting Activation
    So having that power will only wear out the clutch - my trans should be fine?

Navy Blue Metallic
    99 Formula M6

ya, 99bluez ur a retard.

Rodzilla Tha Cavity Filla zero_proto's Avatar

teal
    99 Z28 with an SS complex

What kind of upgrades would need to be made to the tranny if you want to push out over 400rwtq. I am scared of that because that is how i blew my 69's tranny. I don't want to experience that again.
    I am upgrading all of the hydraulics clutch and flywheel here pretty soon. Because i get that notorious clutch stickage.

Cobalt blue
    2002 WS6 Trans AM 6 speed

if your clutch is sticking when u push it in at higher RPMs, the the pressure plate fingers are getting over center and it will release when the centrifugal force drops off, and that happens when the RPMs drop off. if you have a stock clutch with a decent amount of power, and it slips (heat) at high RPMs, the disk/pressure plate assembly is quite capable of disintegrating, reads : explode! I had that happen drag racing on Forrest Lane in Dallas several years ago. destroyed the disk, pressure plate, bellhousing, dented up the bottom of the car, got to walk 3 miles and a half dozen gangers whupped up on me till they got bored. If you don't powershift-get the revs up pull the handle to the next gear while your right foot is still on the floor, drag race style, the trans should hold up. use, do not abuse...

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by zero_proto View Post
    What kind of upgrades would need to be made to the tranny if you want to push out over 400rwtq. I am scared of that because that is how i blew my 69's tranny. I don't want to experience that again.
    I am upgrading all of the hydraulics clutch and flywheel here pretty soon. Because i get that notorious clutch stickage.
    get viper t-56 parts..um a stage3 clutch package..and depending on the year of your car..you should update the master and the slave cylinders to the 01-02 model..oh..and pray to god you don't F' up a shift or miss a shift..that should give you a pretty healthy trans

teal

Yeah my clutch does stick at higher rpms.
    I bought the car and am not sure of what it has.
    This week i acctually found out i had an ls6 intake manifold.
    I already have my slave cylinder and my master should be getting here in a couple days from gm parts. I also ordered a spec 3 cltuch and flywheel kit from lmperformance. I want to change the synchros out at the forks to the viper ones. I plan on driving to houston in november so i want to get that done there proffesionally.

So i am all over the upgrades shady.
    I'm doing that before i get the engine taken care off. I'm looking at an fast lsx intake 78mm tb, patriot ls6 stage 2 heads and cam 112 lsa. It is the same build up they used back in 04 to build a 522hp 466tq ls1.
    It is in GM high tech. If you look up the article it is one one a 200 shot in the ending netting 722hp and i forgot how much tq.

98' trans am

Good man..work on the trans before the power..very wise. pshh..forget the throttle body..i believe stock tb can handle 500hp right?..but i know its pretty high..i assume you have a lid? if not jump on that and you'll need some sub frame connectors and probbally want to upgrade the torque arm...then you should be pretty set for what you want to do..but eventually you'll have to upgrade the drive shaft and such..but i'm glad to see your planning right !

teal

Yeah i have not looked up anything on the driveshaft. Oh and the kit i ordered was the 3+ clutch kit with the billet steel flywheel.
    Trust me i know about blowing transmissions out, not fun.

98' trans am

lol yea

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

The trans is fine. No reason to open it up if it's working. If you do your a moron. SPEC clutches are pieces of sh#t too.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

The stock clutch holds up just fine with bolt ons, but pushing almost 400WHP will definitely shorten its life significantly. I'd reccommend an LS6 or LS7 clutch as a replacement when yours goes, they maintain the stock pedal feel but can hold much more power.

As far as the trans goes, don't worry about it unless it starts acting up. Its rated to hold 450ft/lbs of torque stock, so as long as you don't beat the living hell out of it (powershifts, missing/grinding gears, ect) it should hold up fine.

teal

I've only heard good things about spec clutches. This is a first,why do they suck? If they do oh well i already bought it. I know a couple cobalt owners who have spec clutches, granted it is a different car they seem fine to me, if only that same quality is in the camaro's clutch.

Hopefully i never break the thing though.

And i would never open a transmission up myself, not my cup of tea. I can do everything, except transmissions, internals, and changing out a cam.

I've only heard good things about spec clutches. This is a first,why do they suck? If they do oh well i already bought it. I know a couple cobalt owners who have spec clutches, granted it is a different car they seem fine to me, if only that same quality is in the camaro's clutch.

Hopefully i never break the thing though.

And i would never open a transmission up myself, not my cup of tea. I can do everything, except transmissions, internals, and changing out a cam.
    Spec clutches are great, espically the stage 3+ being more streetable than the 3 and handling a lot more power.

teal

for 780.00 bucks it better. At least it was free shipping.
    It is gonna be the whole kit and caboodle, p. plate, billet s. flywheel, p. bearing, 3+ clutch.

I've heard a couple times thrown around on here, but what is the throw out bearing? Is it the same as the pilot bearing?

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

for 780.00 bucks it better. At least it was free shipping.
    It is gonna be the whole kit and caboodle, p. plate, billet s. flywheel, p. bearing, 3+ clutch.

I've heard a couple times thrown around on here, but what is the throw out bearing? Is it the same as the pilot bearing?
    No my friend, it is not. The Throwout bearing and pilot bearing/bushing are completely different components. The pilot bearing (or bushing, called either one) sits inside the flywheel or rear of the crankshaft, and provides a stable area for the tip of the trans input shaft to seat.

The throwout bearing, or "release" bearing, is the bearing that controls the release/engagement of the pressure plate via the clutch fork or hydraulic slave cylinder. It rides on the trans input shaft and pushes on the pressure plate fingers, which in turn releases the clutch disc. In older cars, the bearing was controlled via the clutch fork, which had a direct linkage to the clutch pedal and pivoted on a ball stud inside the bellhousing. In newer cars, such as the LS1 F-Body, the throwout bearing is controlled by hydraulics. A hydraulic slave cylinder expands and contracts on the transmission input shaft to either release or engage the pressure plate. Same purpose, newer technology

teal

Well now i know. I am a complete manual noob. I've owned auto's my whole life my 99 is the first manual i have ever owned.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Well now i know. I am a complete manual noob. I've owned auto's my whole life my 99 is the first manual i have ever owned.
    Thats alright man, hope that helped explain it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information