Spec clutches

This is a discussion on Spec clutches within the Manual Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; Spec stage 1,anyone have any input?I work at a G.M dealership and the stock stuff is way expensive.The kit with ...

Question Spec clutches

Spec stage 1,anyone have any input?I work at a G.M dealership and the stock stuff is way expensive.The kit with throwout bearing is $269.00.Are they any good?

1989 Nissan 570SX

(see summary at bottom if you're not a reader.)

add me to the long list of SPEC haters. i bought a stage 2 from them for my last motor in this car (SR20DET). i broke it in staying religiously <3500rpm longer than instructed to (750mi) and i did it on absolutely 0 boost (wastegate actuator disconnected), which they didn't ask of me. after break-in, i upped boost to stock (7psi) for another 250mi, then picked it back up to 12psi. it grabbed great, and it engaged just like stock, as promised. and it held plenty of power all day long. however, from day 1, there was a vibration problem on decceleration at about 2500rpm. every time i slowed down, with or without brakes applied, when i'd go past 2300-2700rpm span, that whole span the car would vibrate like mad. also sometimes on acceleration, depending on hill/load applied. i talked to them about it, and they claimed no fault.

i talked to some experts on my vehicle, and they said that that exact thing happens when the sprung hub's springs are not balanced properly. it causes a resonance in the rear end in one of the pinion shaft's bearings. i talked to SPEC again at that point and told them all that i had learned, and they basically told me that not only am i an idiot, but those guys are idiots, too. i told them all i wanted was a replacement disk, which they offered me for most of the cost of a new clutch kit. on ebay i could get a new same disc for like $110, but they wanted like $220 for just the disk. i wanted it free, because it was their fault, but they wanted me to send them my clutch set and flywheel so they could test it out and such, but i told them i wasn't going to wait for 8 weeks while they farted around just to say in the end that i'm still screwed.

i bought it hoping i wasn't going to be another of SPEC's victims. like so many other things in this world, you gotta pay to play. buy the right stuff the first time and you'll save money in the long run not replacing/modifying the same thing over and over again.

SUMMARY: it's true, the only thing worse than a SPEC clutch is SPEC's customer service. buy some other brand that will fit your goals for your car, break it in right, and it will last you a long time and be money well spent.
    ~Jason
    2005 Acura RSX: Daily Driver duties
    1994 Toyota Corolla: the beater that just won't die!
    "Fast, Cheap, Reliable. You can only have two."

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Personally I think SPEC clutches suck and would never put one in my car.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Thumbs down NO

I also would have to recommend you stay away from Spec's clutches unless you have an import. Those are the only applications I know of that work good.

Welcome to the site.

You need to post or add what your car is to your profile info. That will help you get more and better fitting responses in the future.

This is for a pretty stock car? No nitrous in the future or drag radials?
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Thanks for all the input on spec clutches.I didnt hear anything good and will pony up the cash for something better.Any cheap clutches out there.I am building two cars at the same time(55 chevy,stock LS-1 6 speed and 73 Z-28 6.0 L-92 heads and 6 speed) money is tight but I need a new clutch set-up.What is a good stock replacement clutch?Thanks again for your input.

Black
    99 SS

I have s SPEC 3+ and works great no problems and im running 8lbs of boost with a 9" and plenty of hard launches on the car holds up fine.

1989 Nissan 570SX

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    I also would have to recommend you stay away from Spec's clutches unless you have an import. Those are the only applications I know of that work good.
    in my previous post, that WAS an import motor. still sucked the balls of a race horse through a straw. any time i pay 80% of what a really good part cost, if i have to describe performance by starting out "it grabs great, BUT" it's a bad purchase. slowly destroying my rear end is not okay, esp. since the rear end costs more than the stupid clutch.

spend some time in the import crowd and a lot of them say the same thing you're hearing here: if you're one of the lucky ones, they're great, but they sell a lot of products that shouldn't have passed quality control, if they had any controls.

Thanks 570sx,I am going to buy a factory LS-6 set up.I work at a G.M dealership and can buy one at cost.(still alot of money)Not one good word on spec clutches unless they are trying to sell me one!

Junior Member Acceleration Junky's Avatar

sunset metallic orange
    2002 Z28

I have nothing but good things to say about the spec clutches. Do enough searching and you will find that EVERY aftermarket clutch has good and bad feedback. There are TOO many variables involved. As far as specs customer service goes, I actually had a representative NOT recommend thier clutch to me because of my driving style and conditions, and before we got to that point, he was recommending a lower stage than I was inquiring about. Research facts about clutches, not the "he said, she said" and come up with your own opinion.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Acceleration Junky View Post
    I have nothing but good things to say about the spec clutches. Do enough searching and you will find that EVERY aftermarket clutch has good and bad feedback. There are TOO many variables involved. As far as specs customer service goes, I actually had a representative NOT recommend thier clutch to me because of my driving style and conditions, and before we got to that point, he was recommending a lower stage than I was inquiring about. Research facts about clutches, not the "he said, she said" and come up with your own opinion.
    Sorry man but Spec clutches blow up and crap out with<5000 miles on em way more than any other clutch for a 4th gen f body. Been reading these boards for many years. This is facts, not here say.

Thread Information