Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Spec clutches

This is a discussion on Spec clutches within the Manual Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; I seriously don't understand people with pretty much stock motors putting spec mecloud or anything else unless tour jon and ...

silver
    2002 ws6 ta convertible

I seriously don't understand people with pretty much stock motors putting spec mecloud or anything else unless tour jon and running 500rwhp you don't need it and I haven't heard anything bad about a ls7 clutch I think a clutch that holds 500 hp and last 100000 miles is good thing.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    2002 WS6 TA VERT M6 HOOKER SUPER COMPS ORY AND CAT BACK TUNE DONE BY CHARLES AT GREAD TUNNING!!

2007 Z71 EXTENDED CAB PROGRAMMER COLD AIR
    TRUE DUALS

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by REVNORR82 View Post
    I seriously don't understand people with pretty much stock motors putting spec mecloud or anything else unless tour jon and running 500rwhp you don't need it and I haven't heard anything bad about a ls7 clutch I think a clutch that holds 500 hp and last 100000 miles is good thing.

I put the Mcleod in my car when it was just a stock internal bolt on car. My car would then leave rubber on the road in 4th. Different car. If it sees track time on sticky tires you'll need it. An LS7 may hold 500hp, on a 3000lb Vette.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

My argument with the LS7 clutch has always been that while it's a great DD clutch and for some street playing every now and again, it isn't designed to take the abuse that the aftermarket clutches are designed to. I personally don't think it's the right clutch for the drag strip.

I just can't see a LS7 clutch taking multiple aggressive clutch disengagements at the track over an extended period of time.

Granted it is rated for around 450, but that doesn't mean it will hold 450 all day long when you're beating on it every day.

All flywheels and pucks will wear eventually, driving aggressive or not. The aftermarket ones though are meant to hold and take the abuse and will last longer if installed correctly with the correct shims and using a good MC/Slave IMO.

If you don't plan on beating the living shit out of your car all the time and if you don't plan on tracking your car a lot, then I think the LS7 is a great choice for a bolt-on LS1.

Impounded
    Quote Originally Posted by REVNORR82 View Post

well i talked to steve at Monster about my problems... when i asked about it being too aggressive he said not at all... he has had many people even run stage 4 in stock DDs

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I ran the Spec Stage 3+ for 2 years on a basically stock motor. All I had done was LT's, exhaust, and a lid.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Guy in my club had one blow up on him. Almost took his legs out. Not internet folklore, been the consensus for at least 10 years or so. NOBODY here used them cause they suck. Mcleod and Text work, that's why you don't here shit about em.

"i'll never eat chocolate ice cream cause a guy in my neighborhood had an allergic reaction and almost lost his face..."

of course there are brands like mcleod that cost an arm and a leg... and yes there has been "shit" written up about them just like every product on the market... if spec clutches were as bad as you say they are they'd already be out of business...

ps... you haven't been on here for 10 years... i have...

Impounded
    lemons are everywhere
    turns out my clunking was my exhaust hitting and the whine was my throw out bearing (thought it was a pulley)
    let me see how the car runs after that and then i may take back my "shit" about monster

but good analogy spaz... makes me smile

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    My argument with the LS7 clutch has always been that while it's a great DD clutch and for some street playing every now and again, it isn't designed to take the abuse that the aftermarket clutches are designed to. I personally don't think it's the right clutch for the drag strip.

I just can't see a LS7 clutch taking multiple aggressive clutch disengagements at the track over an extended period of time.

Granted it is rated for around 450, but that doesn't mean it will hold 450 all day long when you're beating on it every day.

All flywheels and pucks will wear eventually, driving aggressive or not. The aftermarket ones though are meant to hold and take the abuse and will last longer if installed correctly with the correct shims and using a good MC/Slave IMO.

If you don't plan on beating the living shit out of your car all the time and if you don't plan on tracking your car a lot, then I think the LS7 is a great choice for a bolt-on LS1.
    THIS!!! my LS7 will start to glaze over if i'm beating on my car...

Impounded
    im thinking i will go with a spec 3+ next time around

2002 CETA m6

Spec stage 3 was what I was wanting, should I buy the master and slave cylinders along with the clutch? And are you guys saying to stay away from the aluminium flywheel?

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Same ol Situation View Post
    Spec stage 3 was what I was wanting, should I buy the master and slave cylinders along with the clutch? And are you guys saying to stay away from the aluminium flywheel?
    get both master and slave cyls... might as well get a new throw out bearing as well... if you DD your car i'd stay away from aluminum fly wheels and go for a nice billet steel...

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I got the billet steel.

MC = Tick adjustable if you can swing the cost (about $300). If not, get the GM MC. Don't skimp on the MC.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post

"i'll never eat chocolate ice cream cause a guy in my neighborhood had an allergic reaction and almost lost his face..."

of course there are brands like mcleod that cost an arm and a leg... and yes there has been "shit" written up about them just like every product on the market... if spec clutches were as bad as you say they are they'd already be out of business...

ps... you haven't been on here for 10 years... i have...
    I have been here for 10 years so gtfo. Funny how mods got to keep their post count/join date after the crash. Those clutches are a gamble, play at your own risk.
    Last edited by INMY01TA; 07-20-2011 at 03:24 PM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Maybe they are...maybe they are not. Who really knows?

Does anyone have statistics on how many GOOD clutches have been sold to bad ones? I highly doubt it.

If Spec sells 20,000 clutches and you read about 20 being bad...does that make Spec suck?

In retrospect, if McLeod sells 1,000 clutches and you only read about 1 bad one...what's the difference? The statistics are the same.

Like I said, you only hear about the bad ones...not all the successful installs.

Bob at EPP (now Brute Speed) speaks VERY HIGHLY of them and has used them on most of their car builds in the past. I doubt someone who's been in the game for 20+ years would being pushing Spec Stage 3+ clutches if they were such a gamble.

My guess is most clutch failures are a result of a bad/improper installation.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Maybe they are...maybe they are not. Who really knows?

Does anyone have statistics on how many GOOD clutches have been sold to bad ones? I highly doubt it.

If Spec sells 20,000 clutches and you read about 20 being bad...does that make Spec suck?

In retrospect, if McLeod sells 1,000 clutches and you only read about 1 bad one...what's the difference? The statistics are the same.

Like I said, you only hear about the bad ones...not all the successful installs.

Bob at EPP (now Brute Speed) speaks VERY HIGHLY of them and has used them on most of their car builds in the past. I doubt someone who's been in the game for 20+ years would being pushing Spec Stage 3+ clutches if they were such a gamble.

My guess is most clutch failures are a result of a bad/improper installation.
    ^This x100000000.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

I have been here for 10 years so gtfo. Funny how mods got to keep their post count/join date after the crash. Those clutches are a gamble, play at your own risk.
    i've been here since november of 1999... i wasn't a mod back then... i've had my post count restored looooooooooooooooooooooong before i became a mod... just keep posting worthless advice on things you have no experience with...

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Wow. Guess I won't be invited to your faggoty pajama party next year. I'm pretty sure I can make a car run better than you so laugh all you want.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Wow. Guess I won't be invited to your faggoty pajama party next year. I'm pretty sure I can make a car run better than you so laugh all you want.
    don't matter to me... guess and think all you want and i'll laugh all i want... you probably can get a car to run better than me (i don't screw around with tuning)... now back on topic...

i'm speaking on a subject with first hand experience... you speak from hearsay...

Impounded
    no aluminum. and yes slave and master
    cant we all just get along
    Last edited by BashamWS6; 07-21-2011 at 08:50 AM.

2002 CETA m6

Haha sorry to interupt the wall post fighting, but I guess I'm just gonna go with the stage 3+ clutch. Like 35th previously said you only hear about the bad stuff that happens, never about successful experiences( pretty much like the news.) The car is not my DD, maybe driven 2-3 times a week, so does this mean I should still stay clear of the aluminum flywheel?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information