Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spec clutches

2002 CETA m6

Spec clutches

On the verge of buying a spec clutch and was just wanting to know if other people have them and how they perform.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Hold your horses . they seem to be hit or miss. Wouldn't be my first choice.

Silver
    1998 hardtop SS

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Hold your horses . they seem to be hit or miss. Wouldn't be my first choice.
    Agree'd I saw my buddy go through a few spec stage 3 and 3+ clutches in the matter of a few seasons. The first clutch was a few years old and seemed to be the best of the bunch... held up to 2 years of his abuse at the track running sub 12 second passes on spray, but eventually started to slip. The second one installed started slipping after only a few thousand miles and a couple trips to the track. They sent him another and that one seemed to have disengagement problems right out of the box. Lets just say we got real good at replacing clutches lol. Nothing against Spec, just my first hand experience.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

i'm one of the ones who had a hit with mine... i had the stage 3+... felt like stock and held like there was no tomorrow... unfortunatly i didn't feel like installing it myself and had someone else do it... they lef ta piece of debris in the bell houseing and my clutch ended up welding it self to my fly wheel...

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    i'm one of the ones who had a hit with mine... i had the stage 3+... felt like stock and held like there was no tomorrow... unfortunatly i didn't feel like installing it myself and had someone else do it... they lef ta piece of debris in the bell houseing and my clutch ended up welding it self to my fly wheel...
    That sounds more like a normal SPEC problem than an install mistake to me...

I would not put one in my car.

sunset orange
    2002 Camaro Z28

what mods do you have? your power and do you plan on making serious power soon?

2002 CETA m6

The car will ultimately be just a H\C car, I'm still on the stock clutch and feel its time for an upgrade. You guys know anything about monster clutches?

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Just gotta throw my two cents in, and say you need to upgrade the clutch master.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I have 10K miles on my Spec Stage 3+. No issues with it. Beat on it for 2 years with 330 to the wheels and now I'm beating on it with 500 to the wheels. Still holding strong.

Impounded
    monster 3 here.... and major problems... possible warped flywheel or bad spring with 3k miles
    im thinkng textraillia?

2002 CETA m6

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I have 10K miles on my Spec Stage 3+. No issues with it. Beat on it for 2 years with 330 to the wheels and now I'm beating on it with 500 to the wheels. Still holding strong.
    My car currently puts 355 to the rear, and it will be getting an ms4 cam within the next two months. If I buy the spec stage 3, I will be buying the master\slave cylinders and the aluminum flywheel with it, all of that comes to around $900. I don't want to pay that kind of money for a clutch that will just be a big headache!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

The only thing I didn't like with mine was the chatter initially. It was there for about 1000 miles. I found the more I abused it, the less it chattered, until finally it was just non-existent.

I'm running the stock slave and stock MC. I've found though with now having 500rwhp, it isn't dis-engaging as smoothly as I'd like shifting into 3rd at WOT. I plan on upgrading to the Tick MC.

Just note, there is a Spec Stage 3 and a Spec Stage 3+. I have the 3+, which has a higher torque rating. I'm also running a steel flywheel. I strayed away from the AL one after speaking to some people. From what I was informed, the steel is a) stronger and b) the weight of the flywheel is specific to help keep things balanced correctly.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

You may want to look at RAM clutches also. If you plan on staying under 450, the LS7 is also a great choice.

Black
    1998 Trans Am Ws6

Quote Originally Posted by BashamWS6 View Post
    monster 3 here.... and major problems... possible warped flywheel or bad spring with 3k miles
    im thinkng textraillia?
    Same had a spring explode in mine after 800 mi. If your buying a spec go stage 3 or higher. The problems I have seen are usually in 1 and 2 but if you dont take it to the track and wont be launching it on drag radials ever then go ls7. If it is gonna see the strip id buy a McLeod if you have the wallet for it.

Impounded
    Ls7s have peoblems too ive heard. I havemt heard any bad on
    Mcleod or textraillia tho

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

You probably haven't heard as many bad things about those because they don't sell nearly as much as the other manufacturers. Spec probably sells 1000:1 to either one of those, so naturally you're going to hear more bad things about the top sellers. Most people don't say anything about something that works flawlessly, only complain when something goes wrong.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

I'm running a Spec. A twin disc setup though. No issues at all....except I kept destroying the stock rear afterwards. I'd recommend them.

Impounded
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    I'm running a Spec. A twin disc setup though. No issues at all....except I kept destroying the stock rear afterwards. I'd recommend them.
    my rear has been whining more now with my NEW clutch too!!!

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    That sounds more like a normal SPEC problem than an install mistake to me...

I would not put one in my car.
    i've never heard of any clutch on the market having a problem with the flywheel welding it self to the clutch... don't believe all the bull shit you hear because these days everyone likes to bad mouth stuff and not give proper dues to the good...

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Guy in my club had one blow up on him. Almost took his legs out. Not internet folklore, been the consensus for at least 10 years or so. NOBODY here used them cause they suck. Mcleod and Text work, that's why you don't here shit about em.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information