Thread: Slop in Tranny

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS

Is it the mounts?

I recently purchased a 99 SS with 80k miles. Everything is great about the car. It seems like it was well taken care of. The M6 Tranny however is sloppy. It has the normal release bearing grumble, but it also seems to have extra play. The gears shift fine and tight, but it has a whine. If I take the shifter nob off I don't hear it as much. If I am in first gear giving just a little gas less than 10mph. The car sometimes gets a torque bounce. Like a loose chain on a motorcycle. Any ideas on what may be causing this and if it is something I need to have fixed before it hoses the transmission?
    Last edited by Inoashortcut; 03-20-2006 at 04:53 PM.

"In first gear giving it a little gas" Is this a launch? If so you are getting a launch rattle = typical. Try releasing the clutch quicker. it lessens the severity and duration. The noise you site may be due to an aftermarkest shifter or shifter handle. These devices defeat the production isolation that addresses the issue.

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS

No this is just normal driving (going under 10mph in a parking lot). There must be something wrong I'm just trying to determine what it is. Thanks for the response though. I have owned a couple fbody's in the past but they were all auto's. I have owned other manual cars and trucks and they didn't have this much slack in the drivetrain. Would the mounts cause this?

Mounts would certainly be a good place to start. Besides the rear cross member mount, be sure to check the torque arm mounts. These seem to decay with age( rubber)and hard use. I don't know what to say about your noise going away with eth knob removed. If it has an aftermarket stick & knob I would be sure theya are secure. I have also seen the threaded incerts in knobs loosten and be a rattle source.Good luck.

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS

Replaced the mounts

Well I replaced the Transmission mount and the Torque arm bracket mount with poly mounts. The torque arm mount is terrible. It didn't fit right. I am going to order a new oem soon. The problem has changed a bit now. I get a cu klunk when I push the clutch in sometimes if the drive train is under a load. The whining is still there. I'm not real concerned with the whining but the clunk can be anoying when in traffic.

Thread Information