Thread: Shifter rattle?

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

Shifter rattle?

A couple of weeks ago I installed a factory Hurst and a short stick in my Formy. Works great and is much better than stock. I had a Hurst "H" leather knob on it. Yesterday I switched to a speed inc black ball shift knob. Now under accelaration the shifter rattles like a bitch. Is it because I got rid of the rubber dmpener in the handle by switching to a short stick and now the black ball being hard plastic or whatever the heck it is, is actually amplifying every noise in the tranny? I also get a slight noise when shifting just before it goes into gear. Not a grind but a metal on metal type noise. I also noticed it with the Hurst knob as well but the windows have to be up with the radio all the way down to hear it. It is not very loud at all. It is normal or are my synchros starting to go? The tranny shifts and goes into gear perfectly fine, allthough the clutch is slipping some but really only if I rev it and dump the clutch in third.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Its normal for the tranmission to have some vibrations and noises. If you can only hear the noise when everything else is quiet, its probably normal. Only worry if it gets loud.

Question: Did you use RTV gasket maker between the tranmission shifter housing and the shifter plate when you installed the Hurst?? If you didn't, then thats where the majority of the vibrations are going to be coming from. That will also allow fluid to possibly escape and dirt to get in if there is no sealer.

And for future reference...don't rev it up and drop the clutch in 3rd. Thats a good way to kill your clutch and possibly break something. Not a good idea at all.

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

Yeah I used RTV on the shifter. As for revving it up in third and dropping the clutch I basically mean just giving it some gas before letting the cluch out it third. Not powershifting but getting on the throttle and dropping the clutch. Should chirp third but all it does is slip. I didn't mean I was doing it from a stop or anything. The clutch is pretty much gone anyway. I will be installing a LS7 in a couple of months at the most so I just have to take it easy until then.

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

Well I just pulled it all apart and everything was tight, no leaks, etc. I put the Hurst knob back and it barely makes a sound. I guess the hard plastic ball just resonates all the tranny noise through it. Too bad b/c I like the knob.

BLACK
    2002, CAMARO Z28

Try wrapping the shifter handle treads in ducktape and then reinstalling the knob. That will cut down on the metal to metal contact.

Thread Information