Results 1 to 9 of 9

Reverse gear poping out.

This is a discussion on Reverse gear poping out. within the Manual Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; When I put the gear in reverse, then while trying to reverse the gears pops out? What is wrong?...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    S.F.
    Age
    36
    Posts
    10

    Black
    99 Camaro Z28

    Reverse gear poping out.

    When I put the gear in reverse, then while trying to reverse the gears pops out? What is wrong?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    31

    Onyx Black
    2000 Berger SS #21

    Mine did the same thing. Turns out the shift pads were toast. I missed 5th once and overpowered the reverse lockout and tried to push it into reverse at about 50mph. Probably melted the plastic stock reverse fork shift pads when I did this as they were pretty much gone. stock replacement pads are $1.17 each, bronze ones from T56 Rebuilds are $30.00 a pair. 2 required. I noticed the synchro was worn becasue of this as well so I flipped it over (disassembled the center portion and assembled with the unused engagement teeth from the other side of the synchro so they would engage the gear instead of the worn side.) The reverse gear itself looked OK. I have not put the tranny back in yet but the fix was relatively simple if you have the right tools. It may be me a few weeks before I get it back in to test it, but it looks like it goes into gear a lot better with shift pads.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    S.F.
    Age
    36
    Posts
    10

    Black
    99 Camaro Z28

    Coo, right on for the info let me know how that goes you put it back on...Now that u mention it..I also miss 5th gear a couple of times it wasnt pretty.

  4. #4
    Member BKHgto04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Alabama
    Age
    37
    Posts
    100

    Black
    2004 GTO

    Quote Originally Posted by Berger21 View Post
    Mine did the same thing. Turns out the shift pads were toast. I missed 5th once and overpowered the reverse lockout and tried to push it into reverse at about 50mph. Probably melted the plastic stock reverse fork shift pads when I did this as they were pretty much gone. stock replacement pads are $1.17 each, bronze ones from T56 Rebuilds are $30.00 a pair. 2 required. I noticed the synchro was worn becasue of this as well so I flipped it over (disassembled the center portion and assembled with the unused engagement teeth from the other side of the synchro so they would engage the gear instead of the worn side.) The reverse gear itself looked OK. I have not put the tranny back in yet but the fix was relatively simple if you have the right tools. It may be me a few weeks before I get it back in to test it, but it looks like it goes into gear a lot better with shift pads.
    Mine is doing the same thing. How difficult is this to fix on your own? I really dont want to pay the $600 in labor that was quoted.

  5. #5
    Member TACE02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    41
    Posts
    568

    ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

    Yeah $600 is steep when you can throw another $200 and have it upgraded to handle 600+ TQ. Then you don't have to worry about it again...

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    31

    Onyx Black
    2000 Berger SS #21

    Quote Originally Posted by BKHgto04 View Post
    Mine is doing the same thing. How difficult is this to fix on your own? I really dont want to pay the $600 in labor that was quoted.
    I've never done anything like this before, but it was easy as long as you have a manual. I found one doing an internet search and downloaded it.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Navarre, Oh.
    Age
    29
    Posts
    27

    Red
    1999 Trans Am

    If your tranny mount is broke it will do the same thing. A much easier fix so I'd see if thats it first. IMO

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Navarre, Oh.
    Age
    29
    Posts
    27

    Red
    1999 Trans Am

    ^ Didnt make sense to me at first (why a mount on the outside would pop the shifter out of reverse) but when AMCO explained it to me, it made sense. When its broke not only does the tranny sit a little lower it also twists with the motor.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    31

    Onyx Black
    2000 Berger SS #21

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by SPDemon81 View Post
    Coo, right on for the info let me know how that goes you put it back on...Now that u mention it..I also miss 5th gear a couple of times it wasnt pretty.

    I got it all back together and it works like a charm.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. T56 Reverse gear/syncro replacement question
    By Bigdaddytiberius in forum Manual Transmission
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-20-2012, 03:26 PM
  2. Having an issue with Reverse gear (6sp)
    By nasmith7 in forum Manual Transmission
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-15-2010, 01:02 AM
  3. Reverse Gear Problem
    By D_OPP_99LS1 in forum Drivetrain
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-05-2008, 11:13 AM
  4. Reverse Gear
    By Blackout01 in forum Manual Transmission
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-26-2007, 05:17 PM
  5. I can't get into reverse gear!
    By romulo13 in forum General Help
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-05-2006, 01:48 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •