Results 1 to 17 of 17

ram master cylnder?

This is a discussion on ram master cylnder? within the Manual Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; has any one tried on of them? i was at the track and the good old m6 issues came up ...

  1. #1
    formally 01 T/A 0verkill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    San Diego ca
    Posts
    2,253

    "Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

    ram master cylnder?

    has any one tried on of them? i was at the track and the good old m6 issues came up and i was looking for a way to fix it. the ram is $150 and all the other one's i found are around $350. i dont want to put out that kind of cash if i dont have to.

  2. #2
    formally 01 T/A 0verkill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    San Diego ca
    Posts
    2,253

    "Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

    any one?

  3. #3
    Moderator Cutlass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    6,998

    1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

    I'd say drill mod the GM one or get the Tick Performance. everything in between isn't anything too special

  4. #4
    Senior Member JonB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,458

    Black
    2005 GTO

    Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    I'd say drill mod the GM one or get the Tick Performance. everything in between isn't anything too special
    Is't the ram one just a gm renamed nothing different. I could be wrong as its been a few years since I was looking into a clutch master but i'm pretty.

  5. #5
    Moderator Cutlass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    6,998

    1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

    It could be, sure looks simular except its adjustable.

  6. #6
    Member devildogws6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Monticello MN
    Posts
    683

    Black
    2000 trans am ws6

    Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    Is't the ram one just a gm renamed nothing different. I could be wrong as its been a few years since I was looking into a clutch master but i'm pretty.
    yes it is


    AND OP get the Tick master its worth it

  7. #7
    formally 01 T/A 0verkill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    San Diego ca
    Posts
    2,253

    "Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

    thanks for the info guys. now should i go with the tick of macloued one?

  8. #8
    Senior Member JonB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,458

    Black
    2005 GTO

    Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    Is't the ram one just a gm renamed nothing different. I could be wrong as its been a few years since I was looking into a clutch master but i'm pretty.
    HA HA I finished off with I'm pretty. I think you guys understood I meant pretty sure.

    Quote Originally Posted by 01 T/A View Post
    thanks for the info guys. now should i go with the tick of macloued one?
    I remember reading about all kinds of issues with the mcleod but again it was a few years back and they may have fixed those issues. I don't remember tick being out when I was looking. So I ended up going with a new stock gm unit as I did't not want to spend $300 on a mcleod master that had all kinds of issues. From a quick search tick seems like a pretty good product, it only took what 13-14 years!

  9. #9
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    I use the ram on my wifes car along with the drill mod in the line. Works fine.

    I needed the adjustability, as the clutch in stock form was grabbing right off the floor, and my wife couldn't even drive it. (Even I had a hard time)
    The ram fixed that problem for me.

    When I bought the ram, the shop I got it from dissassembled the unit and drilled something inside, then reassembled. Said that they do that to all the adjustable Rams they install for better clutch action.

    In any event, it's been great ever since.

  10. #10
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by 01 T/A View Post
    has any one tried on of them? i was at the track and the good old m6 issues came up and i was looking for a way to fix it. the ram is $150 and all the other one's i found are around $350. i dont want to put out that kind of cash if i dont have to.
    As a matter of fact, you are in Cincinnati, and Dave (LT1 Dave) is the shop I bought the Ram from. He is the one that modified before I installed it.
    Stop in there and ask Dave, I guess he is still around. Been 3-4 years or so.

  11. #11
    formally 01 T/A 0verkill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    San Diego ca
    Posts
    2,253

    "Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    As a matter of fact, you are in Cincinnati, and Dave (LT1 Dave) is the shop I bought the Ram from. He is the one that modified before I installed it.
    Stop in there and ask Dave, I guess he is still around. Been 3-4 years or so.
    thanks for the info and as far as i know he is still around but not with a good rep.

  12. #12
    Junior Member bluonblk99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    cincinnati
    Age
    29
    Posts
    86

    black/viper blue
    99 WS6 M6

    i have the adjustable ram. works fine

  13. #13
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by 01 T/A View Post
    thanks for the info and as far as i know he is still around but not with a good rep.
    I wouldn't know about his rep other than heresay,,,I only have bought parts from him and even sold him some stuff. But he has never actually done any work for me.

    I've heard all the stories though, and quite frankly, I can say the same thing about alot of other shops in the area or down in Kentucky. But it's all stupid anyway. The facts for me are,,,that I've known Dave long before he even started a shop. He always treated me right on prices when it came to buying parts. Pay cash, great deals etc....Even ordered parts for me cheaper than I could get anything through summit.
    So I don't have anything bad to say about Dave.

    If you need the part, I see no reason not to stop in. Dave keeps them in stock, and he modified mine right on the spot in about 2 minutes.

  14. #14
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Also keep in mind, although these Rams appear to be stock master cylinders with an adjustable rod, the modification he did makes it work just as well as the $300 master cylinders, or so they say. I don't know about you, but saving $150 by simply stopping in sounds better to me. Mention what I said here when you pick it up, and I'm sure he will do it on the spot before you take it home.

    Bad thing for me is, although mine has been working great going on 4 years now, if it ever dies, I'll probably have to go with an expensive $300 unit because I have since moved out here to AZ. There aren't any good shops I'm aware of that would do things to save you money like Dave did for me.
    Take advantage of it while you can. Sometimes we don't know a good thing until it's gone.

  15. #15
    Junior Member bluonblk99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    cincinnati
    Age
    29
    Posts
    86

    black/viper blue
    99 WS6 M6

    i always go to dave. Cant beat it he is a half mile from work on my way home. lol He does treat me well with prices and such. i have gotten damn near all my parts from him (wheels tires headers intake etc.) he is still around i was just there the other day. he modified my ram too the day i picked it up.
    Last edited by bluonblk99; 04-29-2010 at 07:23 PM.

  16. #16
    formally 01 T/A 0verkill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    San Diego ca
    Posts
    2,253

    "Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Also keep in mind, although these Rams appear to be stock master cylinders with an adjustable rod, the modification he did makes it work just as well as the $300 master cylinders, or so they say. I don't know about you, but saving $150 by simply stopping in sounds better to me. Mention what I said here when you pick it up, and I'm sure he will do it on the spot before you take it home.

    Bad thing for me is, although mine has been working great going on 4 years now, if it ever dies, I'll probably have to go with an expensive $300 unit because I have since moved out here to AZ. There aren't any good shops I'm aware of that would do things to save you money like Dave did for me.
    Take advantage of it while you can. Sometimes we don't know a good thing until it's gone.
    thanks and i was not saying he isnt a nice guy i have talked to him a few times and is nice always. and yes there are always a bad story to go with the good ones. i do most of my own work any way but i think im going to go out there and try one out thanks.

  17. #17
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by 01 T/A View Post
    thanks and i was not saying he isnt a nice guy i have talked to him a few times and is nice always. and yes there are always a bad story to go with the good ones. i do most of my own work any way but i think im going to go out there and try one out thanks.
    That's cool. I do all my own work as well. I found that buying parts from Dave got me better prices than anyone else around. Plus he was (like you said) nice to talk to, very informative, with good usefull information.
    Let me know how it works out for you.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Help: Bad Master?
    By lsgunner28 in forum Manual Transmission
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 08-02-2010, 03:02 PM
  2. What Master Cyl to get?
    By ChvyCruzen in forum Manual Transmission
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-10-2010, 07:59 PM
  3. New Master: GM or other?
    By Speed_kills_WS6 in forum Manual Transmission
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 10-14-2009, 04:04 PM
  4. Question: Master install kit
    By mglangley21 in forum Automatic Transmission
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-01-2008, 12:38 AM
  5. which master cylinder should i get
    By Z28_SS in forum Manual Transmission
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-28-2007, 10:36 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •