question about slave cylinder bolts...

This is a discussion on question about slave cylinder bolts... within the Manual Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; I just had my tranny built cost me $3000 and im laid off right now, so I didnt go with ...

Impounded

Black as black can be
    2001 Trans Am WS6

question about slave cylinder bolts...

I just had my tranny built cost me $3000 and im laid off right now, so I didnt go with a new slave cylinder, I header 01-02 slaves were pretty good, but my spec clutch did come with a new throw out bearing that I installed, and a spacer that goes between the slave and the tranny to make up difference for the flywheel resurface....well when I was bolting it on the spacer doesnt fit exactly snug and I tightened the top bolt down, then the bottom and it went in crooked because the spacer was forcing the bolt into the trannys threads at the wrong angle, so now it wont tighten it gets to the point where it should tighten and just spins....I JB welded the spacer on my slave so its perfectly center...now I was going to put jb weld on the bottom bolt after I have the top one tightened and hopefully it should all stay good right?

MRM
    2002 T/A M6

Yikes! Normally you should replace the flywheel when changing the clutch. My slave cylinder is strange. Sometimes it has lots of play in the pedal then other times its normal. It does have 150,xxx miles on it but I can tell its time is soon. Sorry bout the job, but you really should have bought the FW and SC when you did your tranny.

Impounded

Black as black can be
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Fearls1 View Post
    Yikes! Normally you should replace the flywheel when changing the clutch. My slave cylinder is strange. Sometimes it has lots of play in the pedal then other times its normal. It does have 150,xxx miles on it but I can tell its time is soon. Sorry bout the job, but you really should have bought the FW and SC when you did your tranny.
    no,no, I had all that checked, the 01-02 WS6 has a Z06 flywheel and their was only 8 thousanths taken off the flywheel, if its any over 15 thousanths then you need a new flywheel, the guy that built my tranny builts them and installs clutches and everything for celebrities, he's very good....my stock flywheel had been replaced with a new Z06 flywheel according to the carfax from the gm dealer, only 1 driver owned my car....and the stock flywheel for my car is as strong as billet steel....., and I had a new slave cyl and took it back after I had it tested and it was fine, I think it was changed when the clutch and flywheel was changed by original owner at 75,000mi....it now has 110,000mi...the slave is good im sure, I called the guy and he said once the tranny is bolted up and everythings together the pressure will keep it good as long as that bolt just stays in that hole, he said theres hardly any pressure on them bolts

Navy Blue
    ls1 trans am

Im not sure if I would trust JB weld to hold a bolt in place. Also it will make it hard to replace the slave in the future. It sounds like the threads got stripped either on the bolt or the other end. I would either use a tap and re thread the hole or find a bolt that is slightly bigger that you can force in there to re-thread the hole. Not a 100% sure if this will fix it.. but thats what we do when an oil pan drain plug is stripped and keeps turning.

Thread Information