Silver
    2002 35th Ann Z28

Prothane Mount Installed....

Just installed a few weeks ago and I love this thing.....there is a little more vibration but with the true duals it doesn't matter.....the shifts are precise and firm which is what I was looking for.....best 20.00 mod I have spent

John
    Click for full size

Too many mods too list......

Silver
    99 Z-28

Prothane mount.

I also replaced the stock mount on my 6 Spd 99 Z-28. Normal driving seems about the same (a bit more vibration).

But when you stand on it, it really sends the noice level up in the car and more vibration. It almost sounds like a new exhaust system.

I read if you also install the motor mounts it helps quiet it a bit, any thoughts???

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

putting a new tranny mount on gave you more sound?

Ermine White
    1964 Chevelle

transfers more driveline noise thru the shifter to the interior...most aftermarket poly mounts are slightly taller than stock inducing more vibration..fix is to trim mount or reset driveline angle

Silver
    99 Z-28

Yes, I agree with him, the noise level increased significantly (full throttle) in the car. Almost sounds like you have a new muffler.

I also thought it was weird, but one exhaust hanger does hang off the trans tail-houisng (It has rubber for isolation). I may go back to a new stock mount. I bought the Prothane motor mounts, but instructions state you have to burn the old rubber inserts out. I hate to do that much work just to add more noise and vibration.

Silver
    99 Z-28

By the way, I have heard the Energy Suspension mount is a bit softer, any users of this mount to validate this?

Ermine White
    1964 Chevelle

Quote Originally Posted by thende2617 View Post
    Yes, I agree with him, the noise level increased significantly (full throttle) in the car. Almost sounds like you have a new muffler.

I also thought it was weird, but one exhaust hanger does hang off the trans tail-houisng (It has rubber for isolation). I may go back to a new stock mount. I bought the Prothane motor mounts, but instructions state you have to burn the old rubber inserts out. I hate to do that much work just to add more noise and vibration.
    you dont have to burn them out, my pass side fell out when i took it apart, it is a huge pain in the ass to that job with long tubes installed, if you have manifolds it shouldnt be too bad, the down side to poly motor mounts, is if your motor shakes a little before, the whole car will shake after...if i were you i would only do the pass side (easiest), drive it for awhile and see how you like it, you still should be able to tell a difference with just one...good luck

Silver
    99 Z-28

I went ahead and removed the prothane trans mount, replaced with new stock mount yesterday. Much smoother, the car feels much nicer to drive. One thing I noticed between the old stock mount and the new GM mount is the rubber had become really stiff and dried out. It was starting to tear at the points were it mounts to the steel brackets (top and bottom). Just too much noise and vibration with the prothane for a daily driver.

The motor mounts look fine, so I will stick with stock setup, and send the others back to Summit. Thanks for the help and ideas.

White
    98' T/A WS6 Conv.

Wonderin if i could get a little advice? My 6speed trans in my T/A keeps poppin out of reverse, i have to hold the damn stick in reverse with a hell of alot of force jst to back up! If i let the clutch in and out i can get reverse to catch and hold but it depends on how the damn car feels if it will catch or not! What the hell is goin on? Help me please!

Thread Information