Problemm with the T56

This is a discussion on Problemm with the T56 within the Manual Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; Recently when I get on the thortle in 1st and shit in to second anywhere above 4k the gears have ...

White
    2000 Trans Am Ws6

Unhappy Problemm with the T56

Recently when I get on the thortle in 1st and shit in to second anywhere above 4k the gears have been grinding, This also happens sometimes going from 4th to 5th but that happends at lower rpms and it is not as common as the 1st to 2nd which occurs pretty much everytime i shift in high rpm levels... any advice at all??

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Sounds to me like your synchros are shot. The synchros are what allow you to shift smoothly without double clutching, unlike older (1940's) vehicles, which were unsynchronized.

It could also be your clutch not disengaging, but in that case it would probably do it on every shift, not just 1-2 and 4-5.

Try double clutching, and if it doesn't grind, you'll know its the synchros. To do that, what you want to do is start off in 1st, take the RPM's up to where you would usually shift, put the clutch in, pop the trans into neutral, let the clutch back out, match revs for the next gear (as best you can figure), then put the clutch back in, shift to 2nd, and go from there. It should be a perfectly smooth shift (no grinding) if the problem is in fact the synchronizers, which it most likely is.

Good luck, hope you can figure it out.

White
    2000 Trans Am Ws6

If it is the synchros how much do you think that would cost to fix?? I lovee my WS6 and hate to see her hurting

Thread Information