maroon
    95 z28

problem with my t56

having problem with my tranny. hard to shift into gears from stop, gets worse when warmed up sometimes can't get into reverse. clutch doesn't slip it grabs about half way up on pedal. it shifts into gears fine while moving.
    any help please. driving me nuts

Black
    1999 SS

I just had the same problem happen to me today. I was coming up on a redlight and it was hard to shift out of 6th gear. When i went to put it into first, it was rather hard as well. But driving it seemed fine. 6th was the only gear that remained hard to put it into or take it out of. When i went to leave the store, it was nearly impossible to put it into reverse. But when i got home, it was going in almost like normal, still a bit tougher than it should have been though. Any help would be great.

maroon
    95 z28

can anybody out there help me out.
    just changed tranny fluid and still does the samething. shift very hard into gear from stop especially in reverse but when moving shifts good.
    any help apreciated

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by inssane45
    can anybody out there help me out.
    just changed tranny fluid and still does the samething. shift very hard into gear from stop especially in reverse but when moving shifts good.
    any help apreciated
    Check out the shift linkage going into the transmission. Perhaps it is binding up or needs to be lubricated. If the boots are ripped, dirt could have gotten inside and messed it up. Start with that and see what you can come up with, good luck.

Silver
    98 WS6

i believe i've also had the same problem. my shifts have been getting a little clunky and after i've warmed up the clutch with some stop and go traffick it bccomes almost impossible to shift into any of the gears. I have my transmission at the shop right now in pieces. Haven't found the cause of my frustration by I'll let you know what I find, or maybe you guys could give me some help it what it could possibly be.

On the upside, I think I'll be installing a better clutch while the tranny is out.

maroon
    95 z28

sounds like we have the same problem. I have changed tranny fluid and took my hurst shifter off to clean it and grease it but it still does the same thing.I think it may have something to do with the hydrolics. will bring to tranny shop this weekend hopefully can figure it out. if you find anything out please let me know i don't want to pull tranny if i don't have to, thanks
    anybody else have any ideas.

Black
    1999 SS

I had a little bit of tranny fluid around the base of my shifter. Is it normal for it to come up through there?

maroon
    95 z28

yes i had it in mine also there is a passage wich allows fluid to come up to shifter linkage to keep it oiled. you can even fill tranny with fluid from there.

Black
    1999 SS

Well, after pulling the shifter, everything from that side looked ok. I'm guessing it is either the synchros or the forks are bent. Anyone know a good place to get some Viper shift forks?!

Do yourself a favor and first check the clutch release system. What you describe is a dragging clutch.

Black
    1999 SS

Will do, thanks man!

Ryan

Black
    1999 SS

Insane, did you ever figure out what was wrong with yours? Now mine seems to be doing fine, except for 3rd gear. It wants to pop out everytime unless i hold the shifter up into 3rd gear. I can feel something hit at least once, if not twice in the shifter wanting to knock it out of 3rd. This is the only gear doing this. Any suggestions? Also, i think i can hear a sometimes roaring sound coming from the tranny, and every now and then the sound of something rattling around in there. THis really sucks.

maroon
    95 z28

30thBird how do you check clutch release, I do think my clutch is not fully disingaging.
    cocheese, I tried to bleed clutch with mighty vac through clutch res. and it has gotten alot better. will try again tomorrow to see if i can get it any better.
    As for your shifter popping out of 3rd it sounds like its not fully engaging in gear and it will kick it out of gear.
    will let you know tomorrow what happens after i try bleeding it again

Black
    2002 Trans Am "WS6"

I am having the same problem, but I can be driving in thrid and it still pops out. Its doing it all most everytime now. Today the trans M6 got stuck in forth. I wasn't able to use that gear again. I at a lost. People have told be numorus things could be wrong. Help Please

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by thomasnewcome View Post
    I am having the same problem, but I can be driving in thrid and it still pops out. Its doing it all most everytime now. Today the trans M6 got stuck in forth. I wasn't able to use that gear again. I at a lost. People have told be numorus things could be wrong. Help Please
    Sounds like a bent 3-4 shift fork. That would explain why it would pop out of 3rd (bent backwards) andget stuck in fourth (shift fork is overextended). Have a shop check it out and replace the damaged internals.

Thread Information