pet_monk

Question Noob tranny questions

For anyone smarter than me, which in this case is most of you. I have worked on cars doin lots of different things so i am not a total idiot, but....

I drive an 01 Chevy Camaro SS with a 6 speed manual and need to know how to figure out which tranny i have (looking for rebuild parts) what type of fluid it uses, which type of short shifter is best for it, and how much of a pain it is to replace the clutch and flywheel have access to lift and all the tools required.

I appreciate anything anyone can tell me on this subject.

You have a T56(M6) trans. built by Tremec. You will want to use only Dexron III ATF in it. Resist the limited -knowledge idiots that site their great experiences with some mystry -goo oil. Save money (and your trans) and use what the manufacturer states in your manual( when all else fails - read the manual). You will want to replace the 3/4 shift fork(aluminum) with the new iron part. Also replace the synchronizer blocker rings - use carbor-particle lined parts( your originals may be paper composite lined). Shifet selection is a personal preference. If you searched that topic, you will find opinions like sphincters- every body has one. Same will go for the clutch ( due to feel and clamp loads). I like the factory Hurst and am still on my orig. clutch and hydraulics. You may want to consider the drill mod for your master cylinder feed line ( much info is avail - search it).

pet_monk
    How big of a deal is a tranny rebuild? I have don't quite a bit of work with cars in general, but have never split open a tranny and am not sure if I should do the work or not. I am in Germany so finding someone that knows something bout camaros over here is gonna be a trick. Don't know how hard the car was pushed before I bought it what should I look for when I have it apart in terms of replacement or upgrade?

Any good site for tranny work would be appreciated.

If you have not done manuals before I would suggest you take it /send it in. It is not too close but better than shipping to North America = Transmission Components in the UK. They service & sell Tremec .

Thread Information