no 1st or reverse

This is a discussion on no 1st or reverse within the Manual Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; My 02 Z28 has no first or reverse, well its there but really hard to engage almost like theres no ...

red
    02 z28

no 1st or reverse

My 02 Z28 has no first or reverse, well its there but really hard to engage almost like theres no hydrolic, when I try to force it the car will inch forward but usually after a few tries of almost everything it won't be easy but will go into gear, its intermitten cause some days are better than others and won't give me too much of a fight. When the car is moving I can slip it into 1st w/no prob. If I come to a complete stop in neutral, first or Reverse is H.E double tooth picks. can anyone help.

Black
    1993 Trans Am 300rwhp

Same Deal with my TA

I'm in your boat with the same problem, a friend told me that it is prob. the Slave Cylinder, but because I have been told you have to drop the tranny to get at it I have yet to fix the problem. My Mr2 had an external Slave so replacing it was easy. I have been just starting it in reverse when I need to back up and dealing with the whole not having 1st problem by starting off in 2nd. Genius-I know! Until I blow my clutch! A few days ago I found that if I pump the clutch pedal 3-4 times then immediately put it in first it will go in effortlessly. Try this to see if it will work for you. (Did not work for reverse.) It seem that by pumping it you're build up hydraulic fluid pressure which leads me to believe it's one or all of the following: Master Cyl., Slave Cyl. air in the lines. Tell me what you think or if you have made any headway.
    Best,
    Derek

red
    02 z28

Thanks for the reply! I have a 02 Z28 w/about 62k, the clutch was replace almost 2yrs ago, we rarely drive the car but a little out of waranty the problem getting it into 1st and Reverse almost started simotaniously, so we thought that we might of bought a defective master and or slave so we just replaced both 3 days ago, well it worked fine for a couple of days but when the car gets hot, 1st starts giving you problems and doesn't want to engage & reverse today was just plain refuse, no go, so now we are back to square one and out $300.

Black
    1996 Camaro Z28 vert

Mine used to need a little extra effort going into first but not as bad as you describe. I had the fluid changed and it did make it a little smoother.

Silver & Black
    99 Camaro SS

See if you can pull the clutch up more with your foot before pressing it. If you get it to pull up some and you can get it into gear much easier, it is the slave cyl.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

im not sure about getting it into first, but I know the manual says you should put it in 2nd gear before putting it in reverse, I always do this now, and it goes in easier.

is you problem with getting it into the gear, or getting the shifter all the way to the right, because there is a reverse lockout solenoid , which prevents the driver from shifting into reverse instead of 5th when the car is moving, i had a short in my wiring harness for the solenoid and it would short out and not let me put it in reverse every so often.

just a few thoughts!

jeff

Silver & Black
    99 Camaro SS

ss~zoso~ss

You should see if you could get a yellow/gold colored rag-top. That would look like...Almost Heaven!

Go Eers!

red
    02 z28

Thanks for your reply, and no pumping did nothing but tire my leg! anyhow we did fix the problem, she works like a dream now...so please let everyone know to do this if they have a problelm. We have racing headers (hooker) and they were putting out so much heat that it boiled the fluid in the clutch line, it went rite past the headers within inches so we built a shield inbetween the headers and the line and also insulated the line double, meaning we put the line through an insulating sleeve and another sleeve around that. She has never given us a problem since. Hope this helps you or someone you know. Just check your lines and make sure it isn't gettin too hot, it will cook the fluid break it down so much that in turn cook the master & slave.

Thread Information