Red
    2000 WS6

Question New member in AZ. Flywheel question

I have a 2000 WS6 T/A. About 29k on the clock. The stock clutch is junk. I managed to snag a new pressure plate and disc from a 2001 Formula with about 42 miles on it. The question that I have is, when I machine my existing flywheel will that cause a vibration problem. I ask this because most of the replacement clutch kits for these cars come with a new flywheel. All of the clutches that I have replaced in older cars don't come with a flywheel, so it makes wonder if the flywheel needs to be replaced or if it can be machined.

Bright Rally Red
    01 Camaro SS M6

No, you can have the stock flywheel turned atleast once..some do it twice. I did not have any vibration problems when I had mine turned and reused it with a spec 3 setup.

Red
    2000 WS6

Re: flywheel vibration

Hey man,
    Thanks for the info. Do you know why they sell so many new flywheels for these cars? Makes me wonder if it's just to get more money on the sale of a new clutch assy. I have read quite a few posts on here and there seems to be alot of complaints about vibration after clutch replacement. I'm wondering if the flywheel needs to be phased with the crankshaft the way it came from the factory. There's just too much data on here about "vibration". Iv'e installed quite a few clutches and have worked on these cars old and current gen and to be honest this flywheel thing bugs me. I don't want to r&r this clutch pack and have a vibration after. Now I do have some first hand knowledge about the clutch pack r&r on 4th gens because I used to build Mecham T/A's and Z29's. We used to get these cars brand new and do all the Mecham mods then give the car to the customer. But we never replaced the flywheels, just the clutches, mostly centerforce d/f's. Did you have your existing factory flywheel re-balanced after it was machined and did you install it exactly as it was from the factory? What I mean is before you removed the flywheel, did you mark the end of the crank and put a mark on the flywheel and realign these upon install? I'm sorry if I'm being too specific, but sometimes it's best to ask all the questions before you build a problem. Thanks for your response and for the info, have a good one , Rich.

Bright Rally Red
    01 Camaro SS M6

[QUOTE=Red WS6;1316333]Hey man,
    Did you have your existing factory flywheel re-balanced after it was machined and did you install it exactly as it was from the factory? What I mean is before you removed the flywheel, did you mark the end of the crank and put a mark on the flywheel and realign these upon install? I'm sorry if I'm being too specific, but sometimes it's best to ask all the questions before you build a problem. QUOTE]

Yes, I did mark the flywheel so I could put it back on exactly as it was from the factory. Besides that, I just droped the flywheel of to a trans shop to have it turned. I am not sure if they re-balanced it, they didn't tell me if they did.

I hear you on wanting to do it right the 1st time!! I have changed and reshimed a few of my clutchs out on the garage floor

Red
    2000 WS6

Flywheel deal

Dude,
    Thanks for the reply. I betcha that's the catch. If the flywheel isn't phased properly with the crank, I think that might be the problem that everyone is having. Also, if the machine shop that turned your flywheel had to balance it they probably would have charged you for it and you would have known. I think it's about 45.00 to have one turned out here. Thanks for the info, have a good one.

Thread Information