Thread: New Clutch help

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6

New Clutch help

I have a quick question for anyone that can give me some info. My clutch went out last week and I just picked up my car from having a new one put in. I don't have a lot of cash so I just got a stock replacement. It's a Zoom multi-friction clutch. Anyhow, my the travel distance in the new clutch seems far less than the old stock one. Now when I engage the clutch, it's like my shifts have to be much faster and i have to be quick on the gas as the clutch disengages sooner than the old stock one. I'm just wondering if this is normal. I've never had a clutch replaced before and not sure if what I'm feeling is normal or not. I do have some chatter, i think. Thought I heard something, but everytime I turn down the radio and start to really listen, I can't hear anything. When I engage the clutch around 2500 rpm it feels like it's almost grinding, but I think that is the chattering I'm feeling and it has to go through it's break in period. Like I said, I just picked up my car today and maybe put 15 or 20 mile on it. just some insite is greatly appreciated.

Red
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

I'm stuggling with the same issues with a Zoom Clutch. My clutch disengages about 1/8th of an inch off the floor and is definately dragging. Put your rear up on jack stands and with the car off, put the car in 1st. You should not be able to turn the rear wheels by hand. Push in your clutch to the floor and you should be able to turn the wheels just like the car was in neutral. If not, you aren't getting full engagement.

I installed a McLeod adjustable master, which corrected the travel and engagement for a couple of weeks. But, after only 50 miles or so, my pedal sticks to the floor! I swapped the McLeod with the OEM CMC and now I'm back to the crappy disengagement. So, not sure if an adjustable master will help you or not.

Thread Information