Need T-56 Help!

This is a discussion on Need T-56 Help! within the Manual Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; Well...the car doesnt want to go into 1st and 2nd easily. 2nd hardly at all actually. sitting still, it'll go ...

Sinister, SixGun
    2001 SS, 2002 L36 M5

Exclamation Need T-56 Help!

Well...the car doesnt want to go into 1st and 2nd easily. 2nd hardly at all actually.

sitting still, it'll go into 1, but moving its almost impossible and 2nd only works if you are moving slow...even then its hit and miss.

so, could this be due to the clutch being fukked? or does it sound more like an internal trans issue?

navy blue matallic
    2000 WS6 trans am M6

sounds like a bent fork ...how are the other gears if it was the cluch i would think it would be hard to get into gear with all them not just 1st and 2nd....

Red
    98' WS6

I would agree on the bent shift fork, but it could also be the syncros

Sinister, SixGun
    2001 SS, 2002 L36 M5

i thought synchros too, but there isnt any grinding just feels like its hitting a wall when you pull back to get 2nd

Red
    98' WS6

then i would be checking the shift fork.

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Skipshift screwing up?
    -Geno
    1983 Black WS6 "WindCharger"
    1987 Black WS6 "WS87"
    2002 Black WS6 "Silver Streak"
    Sold the other four f-bodies

Sinister, SixGun
    2001 SS, 2002 L36 M5

skipshift is turned off

It may be harder in 1st &2nd because the sync. loads are higher for those gears. Hows it going into reverse? If OK, that would indicate worn 1st&2ND blockers. If it is equally hard, I would look at the release system. BTW Have you actually looked at a 1-2 fork? Bending this part is most certainly unlikely, if not impossible.

Pewter
    2002 WS6

+1 to bent clutch fork. GL! Pull it out and see what you got.

Sinister, SixGun
    2001 SS, 2002 L36 M5

well...

the trans was rebuilt before i got it (about 7k ago) had the factory shifter and the guy did shift pretty hard. so shifter+no stops could mean overshifting.

ive already got a Z06 fork for it, new Spec3 kit, slave, master and an appt. at my buddys shop to have it gone through.

i can do all the work myself, but i just dont have the time. good thing ive got a V6 to drive in the meantime

2001 M6 SS - few mods...

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
    +1 to bent clutch fork. GL! Pull it out and see what you got.
    There is no clutch fork with a concentric slave ,as is the case with an LS1/Fcar. If you are talking about a shift fork, he states he already has an iron 3/4 fork( absolutely NOT bendable) . I have never seen a bent 1/2 fork, and I have seen many thrashed T56s.

Pewter
    2002 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 30thbird View Post
    There is no clutch fork with a concentric slave ,as is the case with an LS1/Fcar. If you are talking about a shift fork, he states he already has an iron 3/4 fork( absolutely NOT bendable) . I have never seen a bent 1/2 fork, and I have seen many thrashed T56s.
    Bent or snapped, I've seen it done. Just adding my opinion, sorry if you didn't like it. Bottom line, seems like it needs to be physically inspected to see whats going on which was really what I was getting to.

Pce,
    -Eagle

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
    Bent or snapped, I've seen it done. Just adding my opinion, sorry if you didn't like it. Bottom line, seems like it needs to be physically inspected to see whats going on which was really what I was getting to.

Pce,
    -Eagle
    Seems your the one that doesn't like to be called on BS.You'ld have to show a bent or broken T56 1/2 fork to have any credence . They simply do not bend or snap .Get over yourself. Most here want to help. If you need to toot your horn, you are in the wrong place.

Pewter
    2002 WS6

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by 30thbird View Post
    Seems your the one that doesn't like to be called on BS.You'ld have to show a bent or broken T56 1/2 fork to have any credence . They simply do not bend or snap .Get over yourself. Most here want to help. If you need to toot your horn, you are in the wrong place.
    LMAO, wow. Toot my horn? Riiight. BTW, I'm sure you post pics of every single thing that you offer advice on? I think not. I've seen one trans that did indeed break the lips off the 1-2 fork. Admittedly I'm no pro at transmissions which is why, AGAIN, I tried to tell you in my last post that I was suggesting he just take the trans down and find out whats really wrong by physically looking at it...

Finally, I'm pretty sure that the upgraded parts he mentioned are sitting at a shop waiting to be installed:

Quote Originally Posted by Fury_786 View Post
    well...

the trans was rebuilt before i got it (about 7k ago) had the factory shifter and the guy did shift pretty hard. so shifter+no stops could mean overshifting.

ive already got a Z06 fork for it, new Spec3 kit, slave, master and an appt. at my buddys shop to have it gone through.

i can do all the work myself, but i just dont have the time. good thing ive got a V6 to drive in the meantime
    Whatever though, I'm sure you've seen "many MORE thrashed T56s" than I have.

Have a good day, I have no desire to waste any more time on this thread - my apologies to the OP.

-Eagle

Thread Information