Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Junior Member 00blackfirebirdform's Avatar

black
    2000 firebird formula

need recommendations on what clutch kit to buy

I have a stock 2000 firebird formula with Ls1 & 6 spd manual transmission my clutch is starting to wear out. I'm pretty hard on my car and I am looking to put a clutch kit in it that will handle my abuse and taking it to the drag strip. not sure what i might do to the car or what power gains i might acheive in the near future but nothing too extreme. any recomendations on what clutch kit to buy?? I honestly have no idea

Pewter, and Black
    2001 Firebird, 2002 TA

I would also like to know, subscribed.

Yellow
    2002 CETA

i dont know a whole lot about diff. clutches..but have done a little research on the spec clutches and from what i know..the stage 1 is pretty much like the stock clutch, stage 2 can handle a lot more power and isnt too bad for daily driving which is probably what you would want to go with..and the stage 3 kit is for hard core horsepower and abuse..so i would say something like a stage 2 kit...hopefully someone with a little more understanding on the topic can reassure me on this.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I would recommend the LS7 clutch kit from KYSPEED who is a Sponsor on this site. It can handle up to around 450rwhp and feels like the stock OEM clutch. If you don't plan on putting more than that down and doing 5500-6000K RPM clutch dumps, this is the clutch for you.

I have a Spec Stage 3+ which is rated at 850 lb-ft of torque. I hate it. It chatters on take-off almost every time regardless of how I let it out. Many other users of the Spec clutches will tell you the same. I would recommend the LS7 or a Monster clutch before I would consider a Spec.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

I have spec stage 2, and no chatter here. I resurfaced the flywheel. I need to try that drill mod.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

heard good things about the ram powergrip. Heard a few complaints about slight chatter but its supposed to be a very nice clutch

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Spec clutches suck. Plain and simple. LS7 is not much better than a stock LS6. I've had a Mcleod kevlar in mine for about 38,000 miles. Still holds 6,000+ dumps on slicks and leaves rubber on the road in 4th. Never had any chatter. I've also heard good things about RAM clutches too.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Mcleod has had very good reviews as well

Pewter, and Black
    2001 Firebird, 2002 TA

Can I get price ranges for these clutches?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by innerchi89 View Post
    Can I get price ranges for these clutches?
    Check KYSpeed for prices.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Check KYSpeed for prices.

Click for full size
    After browsing that site I just remembered Textrailia. Spposed to be awesome stuff.

Pewter, and Black
    2001 Firebird, 2002 TA

Thanks!

215 heads,ms4cam,102 fast 2000ls1tranz's Avatar

White
    2000 trans am

the monster 3 seems to be a damn good clutch one of my buddys have it think thats what im going with no chatter an holds good.. another on of my buddy have the spec 3 an it chatters

Black
    2000 trans am ws6

spec is typically a hit or miss and mine was a miss lmao i had the spec 3+ and it crapped the bed, it does kinda depend on your final goals of the vehicle cuz ive spent too must on clutches that would get me by. Now i wish i would of bought a nice one right away, and i hear good things about Monster and McLoud as well!!!

sunset orange/ black
    two 2001 ws6 m6

i just put the ls7 setup in mine,i had the spec 3 and i did not like it at all.love the ls7 setup though.
    Last edited by WS6S; 06-03-2010 at 05:56 PM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

When my Spec takes a shit..and I know it probably will...I'm getting a Textralia.

Junior Member 00blackfirebirdform's Avatar

black
    2000 firebird formula

thanks for the input guys, i'm gonna check prices and research the clutches you all have suggested

Red
    1998 WS6

I've had my WS6 since it was new in 1998. I think my stock clutch was made with cardboard paper. It was total toast after 8,000 miles. I poured over all the after-market brands that werel reviewed here on this forum and all of them seemed to have shortcomings. Of all the reviews, the 2000 Vette Clutch with the master cylinder from a truck was the most favorable. I've been using this same clutch and have had absolutely no regrets. I have 57,000 hard torturous miles on the odometer.

To give an idea of what this clutch has been put through, I've had my 6-speed rebuilt once and I trashed 2 sets of 4.10 gears with it before I moved up to A MOSER 9-inch setup with Richmond 4.11 on a Detroit Locker. With my other mods, I turn mid 12's on street tires. My best 60-footer has been 1.95 during which that clutch never uttered a wimper.

I haven't heard of some of these newer clutch setups mentioned here today so I have no reference for comparison. But I'm pretty certain I would stay with my original choice if I needed to change clutches today.
    Last edited by midnitejam; 06-03-2010 at 10:04 AM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by midnitejam View Post
    I've had my WS6 since it was new in 1998. I think my stock clutch was made with cardboard paper. It was total toast after 8,000 miles. I poured over all the after-market brands that werel reviewed here on this forum and all of them seemed to have shortcomings. Of all the reviews, the 2000 Vette Clutch with the master cylinder from a truck was the most favorable. I've been using this same clutch and have had absolutely no regrets. I have 57,000 hard torturous miles on the odometer.

To give an idea of what this clutch has been put through, I've had my 6-speed rebuilt once and I trashed 2 sets of 4.10 gears with it before I moved up to A MOSER 9-inch setup with Richmond 4.11 on a Detroit Locker. With my other mods, I turn mid 12's on street tires. My best 60-footer has been 1.95 during which that clutch never uttered a wimper.

I haven't heard of some of these newer clutch setups mentioned here today so I have no reference for comparison. But I'm pretty certain I would stay with my original choice if I needed to change clutches today.
    Are you going to put that 9" to use and get some DR's or Slicks and then see how well that clutch holds up at 6K clutch dumps?

Red
    1998 WS6

I've thought lots about DR's. The sticky point for me has always been circumference and overall drive ratio. I am now running 4.11 gears with stock tires (stock circumference) I'm under the asumption that the DRs are taller tires than stock tires. I have a set of 16 x 8 rims with snow tires from when I drove the car in the winter. If I mounted DR's on the 16-inchers I could probably keep the same overall drive ratio. But the 16-inch rims don't match the stock WS6 rims. I've already trashed the transmission once and haven't much faith left in its ability to survive DR's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information