Thread: Need help m6

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Need help m6

Alright on my way home tonight in the t/a I noticed when i got off the exit to my house that it was impossible to shift into any gear until I slowed down to a slower speed. It was really stiff right after that, got to the gas station got back it and crunk her back up she was fine went threw the gears and no problems. Pulled into my neighborhood and when i shifted into second it sounded like the gear was grinding until I let off my clutch and from what I noticed it only happens in 2nd, any thoughts. And I dont have any mods except for a lid and spark ngk plugs and wires??

Red
    '68 Camaro RS, '11 Camaro

How many miles? Were you running the car hard (high rpm's)?

If you have some miles, the synchros could be gone. Lower miles will show this if the car is beat on.

If you were running high in the rpm range, these clutch hydralics will stick on you.

I assume the clutch engages smoothly, and about 1/2 to 3/4 off the floor? If higher than that, maybe a bad clutch.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by MrKid View Post
    How many miles? Were you running the car hard (high rpm's)?

If you have some miles, the synchros could be gone. Lower miles will show this if the car is beat on.

If you were running high in the rpm range, these clutch hydralics will stick on you.

I assume the clutch engages smoothly, and about 1/2 to 3/4 off the floor? If higher than that, maybe a bad clutch.
    Yea I was thinking synchros myself, but no I wasnt driving it hard at all, I actually took it out of gear and was coasting when this happend. And matter of fact last night was the first time I had even gave it 1/2 throttle in forever, it actually just rolled over to 100,000 I am hopin its only a clutch I def cant afford a new transmission.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

I have noticed after taking her down the road today, that it only makes what I can explain as a grinding or ruff rubbing noise. And you can feel it in the shifter when your making shifts I did a wot and had no problems with the shifts nor noise. But regular driving is when this happens it makes no sense.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by bluehawk2000 View Post
    I have noticed after taking her down the road today, that it only makes what I can explain as a grinding or ruff rubbing noise. And you can feel it in the shifter when your making shifts I did a wot and had no problems with the shifts nor noise. But regular driving is when this happens it makes no sense.
    Is the grinding only happening when shifting into 2nd only? Or does it happen in other gears also?

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Is the grinding only happening when shifting into 2nd only? Or does it happen in other gears also?
    It first started out in only 2nd, and today it started happening in all the gears!!

But it doesnt do it while sitting still or in reverse, I can shift into all gears without the noise happening!!
    Last edited by bluehawk2000; 11-22-2010 at 12:28 PM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

It first started out in only 2nd, and today it started happening in all the gears!!
    Sounds like a clutch issue then.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Sounds like a clutch issue then.
    Yea I was thinking the same thing but can you feel it in the shifter when its doing this!!!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

But it doesnt do it while sitting still or in reverse, I can shift into all gears without the noise happening!!
    So you are saying with the car running, and sitting still, it shifts fine??? Or by sitting still do you mean the car off? I'm confused sorry.

If the engine is running, the flywheel is spinning.

I would find it hard-pressed that all of your synchros are bad all of a sudden.

It sounds like your clutch is not fully dis-engaging. Maybe your throw-out bearing is shot making it not pull the pressure plate away from the clutch disc.
    Last edited by 35th-ANV-SS; 11-22-2010 at 12:44 PM.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

So you are saying with the car running, and sitting still, it shifts fine??? Or by sitting still do you mean the car off? I'm confused sorry.

If the engine is running, the flywheel is spinning.

I would find it hard-pressed that all of your synchros are bad all of a sudden.

It sounds like your clutch is not fully dis-engaging. Maybe your throw-out bearing is shot making it not pull the pressure plate away from the clutch disc.
    No while the car is running and sitting still it shifts into every gear fine, I think I am going to just get a new clutch and pressure plate and see if that fixs the problem, cause I was thinking the same thing about the synchros how it could all of a sudden just start this all at once.

Red
    '68 Camaro RS, '11 Camaro

If it shifts fine at a stand still, while running, your tranny itself should be fine. Your clutch should be fine as well, as long as there's no slipping. If it's only when moving, I'm going with hydralics. Upgrade to later hydralics and you should be good to go. Of course, while your in there, do the clutch anyways.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by MrKid View Post
    If it shifts fine at a stand still, while running, your tranny itself should be fine. Your clutch should be fine as well, as long as there's no slipping. If it's only when moving, I'm going with hydralics. Upgrade to later hydralics and you should be good to go. Of course, while your in there, do the clutch anyways.
    Yea I think thats the route I am going to go with the tick adjustable and the ls7 clutch set up!!!

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Yep I agree. if you do both the clutch and the clutch hydraulics, you should fix your problem.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Cool thanks for the help, I knew I should'nt jump to conclusions and think it was something worse than what it really was. I was wondering when I was going to have to do this lol, just rolling over to 100k bad thing is I have just been babyin the hell out of it the past 10k lol.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Well if you wanna save some money, you might be able to nail down a diagnosis to just one or two components that are actually causing your problems. But at that mileage there is a chance that everything is a little worn out and replacing everything is a good idea.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Well if you wanna save some money, you might be able to nail down a diagnosis to just one or two components that are actually causing your problems. But at that mileage there is a chance that everything is a little worn out and replacing everything is a good idea.
    Yea right now I am going to buy the master cylinder have that replaced first, cause I noticed that its alot easier to get in gear if I have the clutch almost all the way out to put it in gear. Depending on how it acts until next sunday will determine what happens, since this is my daily driver. How long do you think it could last me before it goes totally out?

Thread Information