Monster stage 2 clutch

This is a discussion on Monster stage 2 clutch within the Manual Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; Hi all, I have a Monster stage 2 clutch and the lightweight 15lb flywheel on order. Any users of this ...

Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

Monster stage 2 clutch

Hi all,

I have a Monster stage 2 clutch and the lightweight 15lb flywheel on order. Any users of this clutch/flywheel out there and any experiences/feedback on it???

Tick Performance in NC is installing it for me hopefully in the next week. The LS7 was backordered forever and ever, so I ordered this one instead.

Millienum Yellow
    2003 Corvette Z06

They put the STG 3 in for me in May. Got to get about 700 miles on it or so and would have to say Im not dissapointed in it. I had teh LS7 in my TA and between the two it was like night and day... I do not think you will regret the purchase!
    Shawn
    Daily: 2003 MY Z06 D1SC | Toy: 2006 Hayabusa Garrett T-3 | Hauler: 2007 Nissan Titan LE CC
    I like being Blown!!

Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

Quote Originally Posted by MYSCZ06 View Post
    They put the STG 3 in for me in May. Got to get about 700 miles on it or so and would have to say Im not dissapointed in it. I had teh LS7 in my TA and between the two it was like night and day... I do not think you will regret the purchase!
    Glad to hear you like it better than the LS7 since that is the change I had to make in my plans.

Did you get the stock weight flywheel or the super lightweight one (15lb)?

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

I just put the stage 3 in my TA and I love it. I got the light weight flywheel as well. It grabs like a mother and it grabs right at the floor. You wont regret it

Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

Quote Originally Posted by One_Bad_TA View Post
    I just put the stage 3 in my TA and I love it. I got the light weight flywheel as well. It grabs like a mother and it grabs right at the floor. You wont regret it
    Awesome! It is at Tick Performance getting installed as we post, hope to get it back tomorrow.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

Got it back today, and WOW.

The Monster clutch grabs very nicely, and with the Tick master cylinder, the pedal travel feels like it is half what it used to be and it engages RIGHT NOW. You have to gas it or it will stall. It took a few minutes to get used to it, but what a difference having a nice clutch setup finally!!

I had tick install the monster 2.5 with chrome moly flywheel. After I got a good tune I really like it. It grabs good and is smooth. Also had tick do their clutch upgrade stuff

Black
    2002 Camaro

What kind of power are you pushing black? What turned you on the stage 2 instead of the 3???

Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

Basically my goals are 450 RWHP (380 right now), and the stage 2 is what Tick recommended to me for that power level.

I really like the clutch. It grabs hard and holds great and pretty smooth engagement.

In hindsight, I would have gotten the stock weight flywheel instead of the lightweight one...she really stalls easy unless you give it plenty of gas and ride the clutch for the first few seconds to get it going... just not enough rotating mass to launch easily without bogging.

Millienum Yellow
    2003 Corvette Z06

yea I figured you would be saying that about the flywheel... After reading here and there on the net, I educated myself on flywheels there is no need to swap to a lighter one unless your tracking it alot the billet works best for street application. Im sure you can work around it

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSS1 View Post
    Basically my goals are 450 RWHP (380 right now), and the stage 2 is what Tick recommended to me for that power level.

I really like the clutch. It grabs hard and holds great and pretty smooth engagement.

In hindsight, I would have gotten the stock weight flywheel instead of the lightweight one...she really stalls easy unless you give it plenty of gas and ride the clutch for the first few seconds to get it going... just not enough rotating mass to launch easily without bogging.
    Actually I had that issue with my 2.5 monster clutch. I have roughly 450rwhp too. The first tuner did a terrible job and my car ran like total shit , stalling all the time and had to ride the clutch to get it going. I took it to another tuner (Mike S out of Concord) and he found my butterflies where closed too much and dialed my tune in perfectly with better customer services too. I really like the clutch now, nice and smooth easy to use. My RPMs drop quickly, much faster than stock, and idles great, no more stalling issues. I wouldnt change my setup now, but before good tune I was extremely unhappy with my ride

I called Monster and ask which one they suggested. Then I had Tick do their magic of course with all their clutch upgrades too. Big thanks to Tick Performance and Mike Sulski. If you need Mike's # PM me sounds like he could really help you out
    Last edited by cmb570; 08-15-2009 at 05:42 AM.

Thread Information