Results 1 to 19 of 19

missing 1-2 shift???

This is a discussion on missing 1-2 shift??? within the Manual Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; Help I am having a issue when shifting between 1st and 2nd when running hard, otherwise it shifts good. Car ...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    WATERFORD MI
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2

    PEWTER
    1999 CAMARO SS

    missing 1-2 shift???

    Help I am having a issue when shifting between 1st and 2nd when running hard, otherwise it shifts good. Car is a 99 ss with a m6 and factory hurst shifter with a short stick. It seens to hang up and not go into gear. Any help would be great thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member jrc1122's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Abilene, TX
    Posts
    1,053

    Liquid Red
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

    welcome -- I haven't gotten one yet, but everyone Swears by the Pro 5.0 shift kit on this site.

    I am not sure for you though, it sounds like you may actually have a problem with the car.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Danger731's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    6,712
    ya think ?
    04 C5 A4 Torch Red

    2009 CTS4 Ice Black

    2013 1500 Silverado Z71

    02 Z/28 M6 Onyx Black All Options - Sold

  4. #4
    Member patricksd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Oceanside, CA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    141

    Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6 T-Top

    Quote Originally Posted by sslarry View Post
    Help I am having a issue when shifting between 1st and 2nd when running hard, otherwise it shifts good. Car is a 99 ss with a m6 and factory hurst shifter with a short stick. It seens to hang up and not go into gear. Any help would be great thanks.
    I'm curios to hear the answer to this question as well. Every now and then it will happen to me (usually on the 2-3 shift) where it won't go into gear, so I have to let off the clutch and do it again.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    WATERFORD MI
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2

    PEWTER
    1999 CAMARO SS

    I think it is a shifter issue I will be looking for a different shifter in the next week or two, possibly a Pro 5 , as it seems to have a good following. The trans works perfect as long as you are not hammering it.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    omaha, ne
    Age
    31
    Posts
    228

    red
    1998 camaro z28

    Quote Originally Posted by patricksd View Post
    I'm curios to hear the answer to this question as well. Every now and then it will happen to me (usually on the 2-3 shift) where it won't go into gear, so I have to let off the clutch and do it again.
    Im curious do you have the drill mod done? If not that would cause ur trouble with the 2-3rd shift b/c of the fabulous GM inline restriction. Also maybe i didnt read good enough but all posting to this have the skip shift from 1-2nd eliminated correct?

  7. #7
    Member jimmy77611's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Here
    Age
    41
    Posts
    156

    Red
    2000 Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by miller456 View Post
    Im curious do you have the drill mod done? If not that would cause ur trouble with the 2-3rd shift b/c of the fabulous GM inline restriction. Also maybe i didnt read good enough but all posting to this have the skip shift from 1-2nd eliminated correct?
    I agree, sounds like a hudraulic problem. Do the drill mod.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Georgetown Texas
    Age
    52
    Posts
    27

    black
    2001

    I havent got an answer for this problem, but i would like to eliminate the skip shift from my 2001

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    omaha, ne
    Age
    31
    Posts
    228

    red
    1998 camaro z28

    Quote Originally Posted by blackmore View Post
    I havent got an answer for this problem, but i would like to eliminate the skip shift from my 2001
    You can look up a search for a skip shift eliminator, its just a small plug in harness that u can get for pretty cheap. You just disconnect the plug on the solenoid for the 1-2 shift next to the tranny and plug in your harness and make sure before doin all this you disconnect your battery to let the computer reset when your done. Just plug n play basically.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Georgetown Texas
    Age
    52
    Posts
    27

    black
    2001

    Thanks Miller 456. I will give that a try.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    omaha, ne
    Age
    31
    Posts
    228

    red
    1998 camaro z28

    Quote Originally Posted by blackmore View Post
    Thanks Miller 456. I will give that a try.
    Sure no problem just glad i could help someone for once usually im askin questions. Let me know how it goes i know how annoying going from 1st to
    4th can be.

  12. #12
    Member John Ceta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    104

    Silver
    1999 Trans Am convertible

    Follow this: http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...adio_shack.htm

    I did it the other day and it is great. I thought about disconnecting the battery, but after double checking the install guide they didn't mention it so I didn't. It turned out fine.

    The only thing that sucks is that I subconsciously anticipate having to shift to fourth sometimes. My brain will get over that eventually though.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    omaha, ne
    Age
    31
    Posts
    228

    red
    1998 camaro z28

    Quote Originally Posted by John Ceta View Post
    Follow this: http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...adio_shack.htm

    I did it the other day and it is great. I thought about disconnecting the battery, but after double checking the install guide they didn't mention it so I didn't. It turned out fine.

    The only thing that sucks is that I subconsciously anticipate having to shift to fourth sometimes. My brain will get over that eventually though.
    i know how u feel there, yea i didnt disconnet my battery either and all was fine just recommend it cuz sometimes the computer wont reset and i didnt want to leave any steps out. Do you have the drill mod done also?

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    loyall ky
    Posts
    347

    black, and black
    04 M6

    drill mod

    whats the drill mod

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    omaha, ne
    Age
    31
    Posts
    228

    red
    1998 camaro z28

    Quote Originally Posted by kyemt View Post
    whats the drill mod
    http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm

    go to that website and search the drill mod. Basically if u notice when shifting at higher rpms from 2-3 theres a solenoid that blocks off 3rd gear to help save the tranny. Its a GM inline restriction, all you really do is take the hose connecting to ur master cylinder and drill out the inline restriction with a small bit and eliminate GMs great idea. If you go to that website you can get better details and pics and also other free mods.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    loyall ky
    Posts
    347

    black, and black
    04 M6

    link

    ok thanks for teh reply but that link doesnt work lol ive never noticed a problem doing high 2-3 rpm shifts

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    omaha, ne
    Age
    31
    Posts
    228

    red
    1998 camaro z28

    Quote Originally Posted by kyemt View Post
    ok thanks for teh reply but that link doesnt work lol ive never noticed a problem doing high 2-3 rpm shifts
    The link works, just dont add all the junk after .com just type in www.installuniversity.com and ull get to the right site.

  18. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    atlanta Ga
    Posts
    2

    tan
    99 TA

    i dont think its a hydraulic problem, it sounds more like a syncronizer in the transmission is going bad. if i had to bet on it thats what i would put my money on.

  19. #19
    Member TACE02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    41
    Posts
    568

    ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by miller456 View Post
    http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm

    go to that website and search the drill mod. Basically if u notice when shifting at higher rpms from 2-3 theres a solenoid that blocks off 3rd gear to help save the tranny. Its a GM inline restriction, all you really do is take the hose connecting to ur master cylinder and drill out the inline restriction with a small bit and eliminate GMs great idea. If you go to that website you can get better details and pics and also other free mods.

    a lot of people say that, about the high RPM shifting gets blocked by the restriction, but I would have to disagree. My mechanic is totally against it. Not to mention I shift mine at 6500 RPMs all the time 1-4 with factory hydraulics no problems.

    as far as the miss shifts; did you ensure your shifter is secure on top the tranny, had a friend that would miss 2nd all the time at the track, turns out he forgot to torque down the shifter...D'oh. could be a bad synchro, but I would think it would do it during normal driving also, at least occassionally. I would lean more toward a clutch problem or a skip shift problem. When you get on it and can't put it in 2nd can you put it in 3rd instead? But either way let us know what you find.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Automatic Shift boot and new shift handle
    By stew215 in forum Appearance Section
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 04-21-2011, 03:04 PM
  2. Vinci tuner shift firmness increase vs Shift kit ?
    By Formula in forum Automatic Transmission
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-22-2009, 09:37 AM
  3. Something is missing....
    By Mr. Luos in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 03-20-2008, 04:28 PM
  4. missing anything?
    By 96z28 in forum External Engine
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-11-2008, 01:30 PM
  5. Missing Something?????
    By predator506 in forum Camaro / SS
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 11-07-2007, 03:10 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •