Mechanic Can't find the problem

This is a discussion on Mechanic Can't find the problem within the Manual Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; I took my 99 Z28 M6 to a mechanic because it was having problems that I thought were due to ...

Navy Blue Metalic
    1999 Z28 Convertible

Mechanic Can't find the problem

I took my 99 Z28 M6 to a mechanic because it was having problems that I thought were due to 1) Dirty Clutch Fluid 2) Leaking Slave Cylinder or 3) bad Master Cylinder. The problem is it regularly will not go into gear (any gear) without being forced, and sometimes I can't even force it into gear. Also, with the clutch petal pushed all the way to the floor, it was still rolling forward like the transmission was partially engaged.

I took it to a mechanic that my friend recommended - Family owned shop, the owner ran an AAMCO Transmission shop previously.

He has had it for almost a week, has removed the entire transmission twice, and bench tested it, and insists the clutch is fine. He just put the tranny back into the car and test drove it again and still has the problem.

I'm really starting to worry, but I can't just have it towed somewhere else because I'll owe him $1,000 for the bench testing the Tranny. I have to have him do the repair.
    Last edited by Neil; 05-27-2010 at 01:13 PM.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

has he checked for air bubbles in the clutch fluid???

Navy Blue Metalic
    1999 Z28 Convertible

He's actually getting a little pissed off when I suggest things. I've seen a lot of posts on this board about the same type of problem and it seems to always be the hydrolics. The first time I talked to him I asked him to just flush the clutch fluid and he said there's nothing worng with it, but he would do that anyway. I don;t know if he has done it yet.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    He's actually getting a little pissed off when I suggest things. I've seen a lot of posts on this board about the same type of problem and it seems to always be the hydrolics. The first time I talked to him I asked him to just flush the clutch fluid and he said there's nothing worng with it, but he would do that anyway. I don;t know if he has done it yet.
    could be your slave cyl taking a shit... i'd have him replace both the slave and master if he has the tranny out...
    Last edited by Spaz; 05-27-2010 at 01:48 PM.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I think 35th-anv-ss had a similer problem a while back and it was something like broken keys inside the trans itself. Has you machanic opened up the tranny too or just removing it for testing?
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Also, with the clutch petal pushed all the way to the floor, it was still rolling forward like the transmission was partially engaged.
    This points to hydraulic problems or a messed up pilot bearing. If you replace the master cylinder, slave cylinder, and the pilot bearing then there a very high chance you'll fix your problem.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    I think 35th-anv-ss had a similer problem a while back and it was something like broken keys inside the trans itself. Has you machanic opened up the tranny too or just removing it for testing?
    If I remember correctly, 35th's problem was the trans got stuck in gear and he couldn't get it out.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    If I remember correctly, 35th's problem was the trans got stuck in gear and he couldn't get it out.
    You're prolly right, it just has that internal feel to it. Call it my gut lol..

competition yellow
    1999 camaro m6

you might try pumping the clutch and build up pressure mine did that and see if you can put it in gear you might have a bad master id check that cuz fairly cheap not that hard to change and u dont have to pull the trans again. also if he knows trannys have him check the syncros. also when i did my clutch mine wanted to creep forward when in gear so i bleed the shit out of it and works great
    Last edited by 99yellowz28; 05-27-2010 at 08:33 PM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Correct Cutlass. My 3-4 synchronizer key broke and I was stuck in 4th gear.

As some added info:

The pilot bearing is pressed into the crankshaft. It’s function is to support the forward end of the transmission input shaft, keep the clutch disc centered on the flywheel, and allow the input shaft and flywheel to rotate independently of each other when the clutch is disengaged.

When a pilot bushing/bearing gets worn oversize or disintegrates, you may experience erratic clutch performance and/or shifting problems because the front of the transmission input shaft is essentially free floating. With a failed pilot, your transmission input shaft is no longer held in rigid alignment with the mainshaft and counter shaft.The gear on the input shaft transmits full engine power to the countershaft in all gears so any misalignment will cause that power to be transferred from gear to gear with inadequate tooth contact. Given time, metal fatigue will weaken the gears until a catastrophic failure occurs. Noise may also come from a worn or dry pilot bearing. Such a bearing tends to “whine” when it is out of grease. This noise usually occurs when the vehicle is stationary, with the engine running, the transmission in gear, and the clutch disengaged.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by 99z-28 View Post
    you might try pumping the clutch and build up pressure mine did that and see if you can put it in gear you might have a bad master id check that cuz fairly cheap not that hard to change and u dont have to pull the trans again. also if he knows trannys have him check the syncros. also when i did my clutch mine wanted to creep forward when in gear so i bleed the shit out of it and works great
    Thats a good idea...if pumping the pedal temporarily fixes the issue then that definitely points to hydraulic issues

Navy Blue Metalic
    1999 Z28 Convertible

Well, after two weeks they 'found' the problem and say they have fixed it. Amazingly it was the Slave Cylinder! Who could have predicted that??? (Sarcasm)

I said they 'say' they have fixed the problem because when I went to pick up the car both front fenders were sticking out - they jacked the car up in the wrong spot. I didn't even start it up. I showed the guy how they screwed it up, and how the place where the fenders attach to the car are now bent sideways, making the fender bow out. Looks like another gorgeous weekend without my convertible - still driving my Civic Hybrid (feel the power!).

Anyway, the bill isn't too bad (I think).

$124 for the new Slave
    $538 for the new clutch including Flywheel (Don't know why he replaced the flywheel)
    $593 Labor

Total was a little over $1,300 including tax. Is $1,200 a reasonable price for a new clutch replacement (minus the $128 for the Slave)?

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Well, after two weeks they 'found' the problem and say they have fixed it. Amazingly it was the Slave Cylinder! Who could have predicted that??? (Sarcasm)

I said they 'say' they have fixed the problem because when I went to pick up the car both front fenders were sticking out - they jacked the car up in the wrong spot. I didn't even start it up. I showed the guy how they screwed it up, and how the place where the fenders attach to the car are now bent sideways, making the fender bow out. Looks like another gorgeous weekend without my convertible - still driving my Civic Hybrid (feel the power!).

$124 for the new Slave
    $538 for the new clutch including Flywheel (Don't know why he replaced the flywheel)
    $593 Labor

Total was a little over $1,300 including tax. Is $1,200 a reasonable price for a new clutch replacement (minus the $128 for the Slave)?
    Not if they damaged the car imho.. I'd be bitchin' and they would be knocking off some of the labor too.. Ask me how I know ....

Alot of guys think every car is like the next. So they jack the car like they would any front wheel drive.. Then the tabs bend and the bulge.. I'd be upset. This could cause the fender tab to break seperating the fender from the mount ruining a once good fender...
    Last edited by Smittro; 06-04-2010 at 05:29 PM.

Red
    2001 ws6

glad you got ur problem fixed but id be pissed off if they damaged my car in doing so

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

$124 for the new Slave
    $593 Labor
    the flywheel isn't machinable so whenever you need a clutch you also need a new flywheel.
    The bill sounds reasonable.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

Note to self:
    Never bring the car to that mechanic again - he's an idiot.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Not necessarily, its impossible for every mechanic to know everything about every different vehicle system on every single vehicle. Thats why they make service manuals. But even those aren't as comprehensive as they should be sometimes.

Navy Blue Metalic
    1999 Z28 Convertible

Not necessarily, its impossible for every mechanic to know everything about every different vehicle system on every single vehicle. Thats why they make service manuals. But even those aren't as comprehensive as they should be sometimes.
    That's ture. I guess the main issue I have is that when I dropped off the car initially I described the symptoms and then added that it may be the Master or a leaky slave cylinder. After a week of 'bench testing' my transmission, I again suggested that it may be the master or slave, and he got down right biligerant saying it wasn't the clutch, and he ran an AAmco Transmission for 15 years and he knew it wasn't the clutch so I should quit saying that.

But he could of scewed me on price, or even said that I needed a new transmission and he didn;t, so at least he's honest.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

That's ture. I guess the main issue I have is that when I dropped off the car initially I described the symptoms and then added that it may be the Master or a leaky slave cylinder. After a week of 'bench testing' my transmission, I again suggested that it may be the master or slave, and he got down right biligerant saying it wasn't the clutch, and he ran an AAmco Transmission for 15 years and he knew it wasn't the clutch so I should quit saying that.

But he could of scewed me on price, or even said that I needed a new transmission and he didn;t, so at least he's honest.
    Yeah, I see your point there. Those are good reasons to consider going else where. I like the honest billing though...that one good reason to go back to him if you have something more straight forward for him to fix.

Thread Information