Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

M6 Tranny Help Asap!!

I got a 1999 ws6 hurst 6 speed. Anyways, I can't get into reverse. I push and push and it will not go, it feels a lot like skip shift did before I did the resistor mod. I was wondering if the reverse lock out solinoid can go bad? I've never felt a manual transmission that would not shift before so I do not know if it is like a bent fork or not. Sitting still I push and push, I hear a clunk sound like one thing pushing another, not a grind or anything just one clunk when I initially push on it. I can't get into sixth sitting still either, once I get going I can get into sixth easy though. After a lot of effort, I did get into reverse, no grinding or anything. But I've tried on five seperate occassions since and it will not go. I just spent a lot of money on something and now have a 1500 credit card bill looming over me, please tell me this isn't a horrible transmission fix I am looking at!

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

Unfortunately, since 6th is involved as well, it sounds like something has failed in that extension housing area. Not an uncommon occurrence.

On the slightly plus side, if you're relatively mechanically inclined, it's a very easy transmission to work on and repair. It's a bear getting it in and out of the car, but you could save money by working on it yourself. Many of the vendors on this site that cater to the T-56 are very helpful with DIYers, since you'll be buying parts from them anyway.

Wish I had better news, but there's no magic bullet for this one.

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

How much money if I do it myself are we talking here? As long as it is all dropped...if it is quite a bit I would upgrade to ls7 clutch and new flywheel.

If it was the reverse lockout solenoid wouldn't it go into reverse fine, just be hard to push over to the right? If it's just hard to push over I'd check the ENG SEN fuse for the heck of it.

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

Going to the shop on saturday...I simply don't have the capabilities to drop a tranny. I have a huge tool box and so many tools I got tools to fix tools. But I am not going to drop a tranny using jack stands. I really hope this isn't that expensive. I priced the housing at 280 dollars. Now just hope he doesn't charge me 1000 in labor. I've always done my own work, same with my dad, so I've never used a mechanic, I am just going to find myself a little self owned place and hope he is not a quak and a theif.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Smkn_TA View Post
    How much money if I do it myself are we talking here? ...
    It really depends on what has quit. If it's just some synchros and fork pads, it could be a couple hundred bucks. If the 6th gear issue is the 5/6 drive gear and mainshaft problem (since they are half-splined), those two pieces would run around $400. Unfortunately, you'll need to take it apart to figure out the cost.

I looked on this website and I couldn't find some of the name vendors for T56s as sponsors. If you want to know who they are, PM me and I'll send the links. They are very helpful and a lot more knowledgeable.

It could be as simple as the solenoid being unplugged. Also if they reversed the skip and reverse solenoids, neither would work right. Of course no one complains when the skip doesn't work. Simplest thing you can do is chech the fuse- it is common for these to blow and cause this.

Thread Information