Results 1 to 11 of 11

M6 Shifter Buzz

This is a discussion on M6 Shifter Buzz within the Manual Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; I'm hearing some significant buzzing coming from my shifter starting at approx 5k to redline. Anyone heard of this problem ...

  1. #1
    Junior Member Tickwomp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Plano Texas
    Posts
    44

    NBM
    2000 Z28 M6 Vert

    M6 Shifter Buzz

    I'm hearing some significant buzzing coming from my shifter starting at approx 5k to redline. Anyone heard of this problem before? Shifts fine, just very annoying.

    TIA,

    Ken

  2. #2
    Member side2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    md
    Posts
    861

    red
    2000 camaro ss

    never happens any other time? engage/disengage clutch? could be throwout bearing. how many miles are on tranny? ever blow a shift? (3rd to 2nd when you meant to go to 4th etc)

  3. #3
    Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    21,719

    My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

    sure it's the shifter and not the console? i know my console buzzes a lot at that RPM

  4. #4
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Have your recently installed an aftermarket shifter??? The factory shifters have an isolator on the shaft to cut down on vibration and noise.
    Aftermarket shifters do away with the isolator so they inherantly transmit more noise due to design.
    Anything else changed on the car recently,,,torque arm, transmount bushing etc or any bushings switched to poly instead of rubber???

  5. #5
    Junior Member Tickwomp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Plano Texas
    Posts
    44

    NBM
    2000 Z28 M6 Vert

    It's definetely coming from the shifter. I made my wife stick hear head down there and listen a couple of times.

    At first I thought it was pinging and took it the shop and they hooked it up to a laptop and took 'em for a ride. No timing is being pulled when the noise is happening.

    AFAIK, this is the stock (and original) shifter. Car has 60K miles on it, and I've had it since 52K and it has been doing it all this time.

    I've missed 3rd before hitting 5th instead of 3rd. Shifter is not nearly as nice as was on my '96 WS6 Formula.

    Thanks for the input!

    Ken

  6. #6
    Member side2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    md
    Posts
    861

    red
    2000 camaro ss

    Quote Originally Posted by Tickwomp View Post
    It's definetely coming from the shifter. I made my wife stick hear head down there and listen a couple of times. At first I thought it was pinging and took it the shop and they hooked it up to a laptop and took 'em for a ride. No timing is being pulled when the noise is happening.

    AFAIK, this is the stock (and original) shifter. Car has 60K miles on it, and I've had it since 52K and it has been doing it all this time.

    I've missed 3rd before hitting 5th instead of 3rd. Shifter is not nearly as nice as was on my '96 WS6 Formula.

    Thanks for the input!

    Ken

    sure she wasnt the first one to notice it? . . . . .

    hard to say, can take it apart and take a peek. if it's not getting louder i'd say youll be ok.

  7. #7
    Member NavdeepWS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Sacramento
    Posts
    221

    Black
    2002 Trans Am

    i got the same problem when im punching it and getting high into the rpms it makes a bussing noise it just vibrations from the tranny you can try to see if the tranny mounts are broke cause i know mine are and ill be getting poly motor and tranny mounts soon hopefully

  8. #8
    Junior Member Tickwomp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Plano Texas
    Posts
    44

    NBM
    2000 Z28 M6 Vert

    Quote Originally Posted by NavdeepWS6 View Post
    i got the same problem when im punching it and getting high into the rpms it makes a bussing noise it just vibrations from the tranny you can try to see if the tranny mounts are broke cause i know mine are and ill be getting poly motor and tranny mounts soon hopefully
    Change in the little ashtray really makes a noise. I was thinking of replacing the shifter, but now I'm concerned about tranny mounts. Is this something you can see if you crawl under the car?

    On the other hand, shifting would be improved by replacing the shift, even if it didn't stop the noise.

  9. #9
    Member side2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    md
    Posts
    861

    red
    2000 camaro ss

    yea tranny mount is right at back of tranny, in between trans itself and crossmember. it is easy to see if its bad, usually you can just look at it and see it's crackd up and mushy. if it looks good give it a good jerkin with your hands at back while youre lookin at it. wont hurt to replace it w/ poly. some people dont like poly but i recommend it 100%.

  10. #10
    Member Corey1987's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Greenville, NC
    Age
    30
    Posts
    231

    Black
    1998 Z/28

    Quote Originally Posted by side2000 View Post
    ....if it looks good give it a good jerkin with your hands at back while youre lookin at it......
    hahahaahah, off topic but funny as hell

  11. #11
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Since you bought it with 50,000 on the clock already and the noise has been there since day 1,,,crawl under there and see if someone hasn't changed to a poly mount previously. They tend to transmit a little more noise and/or vibration.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Help: speakers buzz
    By transamgirl89 in forum Stereo and Electronics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-24-2011, 10:23 AM
  2. Help: Rado Buzz
    By donkill in forum Stereo and Electronics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-17-2011, 02:43 PM
  3. SEMA Buzz Website
    By Ed Blown Vert in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-05-2010, 03:40 AM
  4. New Camaro, No Buzz?
    By wantsumuscle11 in forum Camaro / SS
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-30-2007, 10:26 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •