Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Luk Clutch?

This is a discussion on Luk Clutch? within the Manual Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; I've got my LS7 clutch for sale and have heard many great things about them. I didnt install mine due ...

Pewter
    2000 TransAm

I've got my LS7 clutch for sale and have heard many great things about them. I didnt install mine due to possibly selling my ride :-(

Quote Originally Posted by caveblazin View Post
    I've got my LS7 clutch for sale and have heard many great things about them. I didnt install mine due to possibly selling my ride :-(
    I might be interested. What all comes with it, and what are you asking for it?

Impounded

Black as black can be
    2001 Trans Am WS6

needing a clutch

I have a 2001 WS6 with just slp lid,catback, with a 6 spd...it ran 13.08 only had the car 2 weeks and after that first run with 13.08 my 3rd gear went out then 5th and 6th, so I had the tranny built a guy put all new gears,steel shift forks, he said able to handle 800 ft lbs, I am installing headers and y pipe and not putting the cats back on, so he says I prolly had around 315RWHP to run what I did and the headers,y pipe with cat delete and tune will put me around 350RWHP and low to mid 12's.....I am deciding between centerforce dual fric,spec 2,stock LS6 LUK that came in it or i'd like the LS7 but i've heard you have to change something to make a LS7 clutch work with an LS1?....everyone on this site says spec 3 is way to go, the guy that built my tranny said spec 2 is more than most people need and will handle up too 500RWHP.......what would you guys recommend, im on a tight budget due to a layoff and I just forked out $2,900 for a tranny rebuild and still need a y pipe and clutch, and a pro 5.0 shifter he recomends me....is a LS7 clutch and press plate cheaper than the others?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by getcha01 View Post
    I have a 2001 WS6 with just slp lid,catback, with a 6 spd...it ran 13.08 only had the car 2 weeks and after that first run with 13.08 my 3rd gear went out then 5th and 6th, so I had the tranny built a guy put all new gears,steel shift forks, he said able to handle 800 ft lbs, I am installing headers and y pipe and not putting the cats back on, so he says I prolly had around 315RWHP to run what I did and the headers,y pipe with cat delete and tune will put me around 350RWHP and low to mid 12's.....I am deciding between centerforce dual fric,spec 2,stock LS6 LUK that came in it or i'd like the LS7 but i've heard you have to change something to make a LS7 clutch work with an LS1?....everyone on this site says spec 3 is way to go, the guy that built my tranny said spec 2 is more than most people need and will handle up too 500RWHP.......what would you guys recommend, im on a tight budget due to a layoff and I just forked out $2,900 for a tranny rebuild and still need a y pipe and clutch, and a pro 5.0 shifter he recomends me....is a LS7 clutch and press plate cheaper than the others?
    I'd get the LS7 clutch, LS2 flywheel, and a MGW shifter.

Impounded

Black as black can be
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by squee View Post
    I'd get the LS7 clutch, LS2 flywheel, and a MGW shifter.
    I already had flywheel resurfaced $50, Im on a very tight budget, pay $400 a month for T/A have a Z71 truck 1996 paid off, but just forked out $2900 for tranny and I took it out myself and am putting it back in, thats parts and labor...its built now and all new D&D synchro's,gears billet dawgs,hardened steel forks, and I just ordered headers and Y pipe and I still need clutch and got laid off from my welding job and it aint lookin good...I weld for the railroad business and if cars and sellin then we got no business, our trains transport new cars....I need cheapest best clutch and get this car going so I can sell my truck the WS6 will not leave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...the guy said get a new slave cylinder but get an autozone good one cause the rams and gm's are way overpriced since they do nothing.....

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Why put a GM clutch in your car (LS6/LS7)? SPEC clutches are doo doo. Look to the Mcleod from Summitt (Sponsor) http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku I've had the Mcleod single disc kevlar in my car for 6ish years and at least 35,000 miles. Still holds 6,500rpm dumps on ET Streets. Leaves rubber on the road in 4th. No chatter in mine ever. I believe this clutch replaced my discontinued kevlar one.

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Why put a GM clutch in your car (LS6/LS7)? SPEC clutches are doo doo. Look to the Mcleod from Summitt (Sponsor) http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku I've had the Mcleod single disc kevlar in my car for 6ish years and at least 35,000 miles. Still holds 6,500rpm dumps on ET Streets. Leaves rubber on the road in 4th. No chatter in mine ever. I believe this clutch replaced my discontinued kevlar one.
    Spec clutches work just fine when installed right, yes i realize there was a bad batch of them that left the factory, but i have 32k miles on a spec 3 and have yet to have a problem...

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by suede View Post
    Spec clutches work just fine when installed right, yes i realize there was a bad batch of them that left the factory, but i have 32k miles on a spec 3 and have yet to have a problem...
    Glad you had success with yours. Many others not so lucky. Quick to blame the install of prolly 100+ horror stories I've heard over the last 9 years and as recently as today.

Mystic Teal
    2000 Z28

My SPEC didn't last but mabye 10k miles and its now time for a new one. I rarely ever put any strain on it either. Just ordered the LUK kit thats selling on eBay. I hope i have better luck with it.

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by snake_skinner00 View Post
    My SPEC didn't last but mabye 10k miles and its now time for a new one. I rarely ever put any strain on it either. Just ordered the LUK kit thats selling on eBay. I hope i have better luck with it.
    I spun the center out of a Luc, and havent had a prob with a Spec 3, but i am not a fan of Luc's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information