LSx T56 Level 3 Monster Clutch

This is a discussion on LSx T56 Level 3 Monster Clutch within the Manual Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; Has anyone tried the LSx T56 Level 3 Monster Clutch Premium 700 HP/TQ or the Spec 3 clutch, which one ...

Cammed LS1
    Trans am

LSx T56 Level 3 Monster Clutch

Has anyone tried the LSx T56 Level 3 Monster Clutch Premium 700 HP/TQ or the Spec 3 clutch, which one is better or last longer?

Thinking about:

The Premium Package includes the following:
    H.D. pressure plate, 12? cera-metallic 6 puck disc, 28.8lbs (stock weight) SFI certified billet steel flywheel, pilot bearing, release bearing, slave cylinder, and alignment tool.

Which is about $750 for all that, good deal?

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Sounds like a good deal to me.

I'd be much, much more inclined to try the Monster clutch over the spec system. Monster is a relatively new manufacturer, but they do offer a 1 year warranty, which nobody else can match. That tells you that they've done their research and they are confident in their product, because if they hadn't they would go out of business with warranty claims right away.

I've read more stories about Spec clutches burning up within 5,000 or 10,000 miles than any other manufacturer, I'd say far away from a Spec clutch with an F-body.

Cammed LS1
    Trans am

Sounds right to me, what about Monsters stage 3 to their stage 4, what's the difference in sintered iron material or cera-metallic material? I'm thinking I want the stage 3 for my setup, not going over 500HP anytime soon, but I want one that should be able to handle a little beating.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Cammed LS1 TA View Post
    Sounds right to me, what about Monsters stage 3 to their stage 4, what's the difference in sintered iron material or cera-metallic material? I'm thinking I want the stage 3 for my setup, not going over 500HP anytime soon, but I want one that should be able to handle a little beating.
    From the way they describe it on the website, the only real difference is the friction material, being that sintered iron has a higher coefficient than ceramic metallic. So basically the Stage 4 can just hold more torque than the Stage 3. The Stage 3 is 700ft/lbs though, which should be more than enough for just about any street application.

I highly doubt the Stage 4 would be very driveable on the street, I've never seen a sintered iron disc that was. The high coefficient of friction between the disc material and flywheel/pressure plate means engagement will probably be intense, more like an on/off switch than the stage 3 would be.

Right now they are both on sale for $700, buy one while you can!!

Thread Information