Thread: ls9x clutch

2000 trans am ws6

ls9x clutch

Im in need of a new clutch and i was looking at the all these forums recommending all types of clutches and i was leaning towards the zo6 clutches because everyone said it was dependable and very streetable so i googled it and i stumbled upon i website that is selling an aftermarket clutch for the zo6 and was wondering if that would also fit my 2000 trans am. its a little pricey but it i think it would be worth it in the long run. My trans am is mostly stock but i plan on modifying the crap out of it when i get back from a six month deployment. I plan on taking it up to 600 hp with a couple of turbos so im going to eventually need the clamping power this clutch provides. I hope you guys can help me out and steer me in the right direction. thanks

oh and here is the link you guys can know what the hell im talking about
    http://katechengines.com/katech_inc/...-ls2ls3ls7.htm

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

You can pick up a LS7 Clutch with everything you need i think for fairly cheap.

http://kentucky-speed.com/gm-gm-ls7-...c0707936cdc79e

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by karpetcm View Post
    You can pick up a LS7 Clutch with everything you need i think for fairly cheap.

http://kentucky-speed.com/gm-gm-ls7-...c0707936cdc79e
    ls7 clutches dont last much over stock( so i have herd) ...505fly.......you put TTs on it will be more than that.

2000 trans am ws6

yea thats why i was looking at this clutch because it is rated up too 700 hp

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    ls7 clutches dont last much over stock( so i have herd) ...505fly.......you put TTs on it will be more than that.
    LS7 is a very strong and durable OEM clutch. How people drive their cars is a totally different matter. An LS7 clutch will last indefinitely on your average street car thats stock or has bolt ons. Hot lapping with 6K launches on DR's at the track is a different story, obviously you will need a more race oriented clutch. All depends on what you want to do with the car.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    LS7 is a very strong and durable OEM clutch. How people drive their cars is a totally different matter. An LS7 clutch will last indefinitely on your average street car thats stock or has bolt ons. Hot lapping with 6K launches on DR's at the track is a different story, obviously you will need a more race oriented clutch. All depends on what you want to do with the car.
    none of which matters ..as the op has TTs so it is far from a bolt on.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Yep. Agree with Shady. A LS7 clutch is a nice piece, but surely won't hold real long with 600HP. I'm also guessing that with 600HP the OP WILL be taking it to the track. If not often, on occasion...which could possibly mean high RPM clutch dumps.

OP - Have you checked out Monster clutches? They have a level 3 which would handle your intended HP rating. For more cushion they go all the way up to level 6 which handle 900HP/TQ. I've heard a lot of good things about Monster clutches.

2000 trans am ws6

my TA is my daily driver and will be when the turbos are done. I do plan on taking it to the track every once in awhile but it will mostly be a daily driver. I want a clutch that will hold that much power but isnt to rough to drive thats why i was thinking of the ls9x clutch. if it can be used for the zo6 corvette it should be good for mine

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by jslvserka View Post
    my TA is my daily driver and will be when the turbos are done. I do plan on taking it to the track every once in awhile but it will mostly be a daily driver. I want a clutch that will hold that much power but isnt to rough to drive thats why i was thinking of the ls9x clutch. if it can be used for the zo6 corvette it should be good for mine
    it isnt..it is used on the zr1s

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I wouldn't bet on it. The Z06 is about 500lbs lighter than your car. It's clutch won't hold as good in your car as the Z06.

2000 trans am ws6

would it fit my car. what would i have to do to make it fit

98' trans am

would it fit my car. what would i have to do to make it fit
    no it will fit...you just have to remember what the clutch does and such...what he was saying is a clutch made for a zr1 is designed for a car that is 500lbs lighter...so it will not have the same life and wear characteristics in your car as in a zr1

2000 trans am ws6

thanks guys for the help. I looked into the monster clutches and they seem like a good way to go.

Thread Information