Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

ls7 clutch on a ls1?

This is a discussion on ls7 clutch on a ls1? within the Manual Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; For track use I'd look elsewhere....

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

For track use I'd look elsewhere.

SOM
    2002 firebird formula

just got my car back a couple days ago, im glad i went with the ls7 clutch, shifts like butter

RED, BLACK
    2001 WS6, 1998 TA

Nice. I hope to be able to put a few more miles on mine this summer. I've been really happy with it.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

I'am getting ready to order the kit from SD and also the new master, from my understanding doesn't the master come with the bearing??

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Ordered mine on friday from Fred Beans. I'm having it put in this week because I got a phenominal deal on the labor. Mine went prematurely...I believe one of the springs on the clutch disk came loose and is hitting bouncing around between the flywheel and pressure plate. I'll see if the mecahinc doin the work can take a couple of pics of the install to confirm if that was the cause. Good luck to everyone else (and me lol)!

SOM
    2002 firebird formula

Quote Originally Posted by 01ws6er View Post
    Ordered mine on friday from Fred Beans. I'm having it put in this week because I got a phenominal deal on the labor. Mine went prematurely...I believe one of the springs on the clutch disk came loose and is hitting bouncing around between the flywheel and pressure plate. I'll see if the mecahinc doin the work can take a couple of pics of the install to confirm if that was the cause. Good luck to everyone else (and me lol)!
    how much did you pay for it if you dont mind me asking?

RED, BLACK
    2001 WS6, 1998 TA

I got my master at my local gm dealer and it did not come with the bearing.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen WS6 View Post
    I got my master at my local gm dealer and it did not come with the bearing.
    That's because the throwout bearing comes with the slave cylinder. Pilot bearing comes with ls7 clutch kit

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

What Master and Slave cylinders are ya'll using?? The stock '01+ hydraulics or aftermarket setups??

RED 35TH ANIVERSARY PKG
    2002 CAMARO SS 35th LE

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Exactly. Its too much effort and time to do the whole jon and not change the slave cylinder, especially considering that aren't all that expensive.
    What kind of Slave should you go with..? The LS1/LS6 or LS7?

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by WARP211 View Post
    What kind of Slave should you go with..? The LS1/LS6 or LS7?
    I went with the GM replacement for the ls1. I dunno if they make an ls6/7 and/ or if it would fit...? I know Ram clutches makes an aftermarket slave, but I haven't heard anything about it.

I get my car back this weekend and I can't wait!!!

Black
    2001 Trans Am Ws6

My freakin clutch went last night! My TO bearing was spinning for a while and making a whining noise and last night something happened while disengaging the clutch and I heard a couple of metal clunks, it sounded like what happened above. I have a friend who is a mechanic that is checking it out and am thinking about just buying a whole new ls7 setup and having him install (total $350 labor ) Question: What all do I need to buy in order to have this done?

LS7 kit
    http://www.sdparts.com/product/SDLS7...cFlywheel.aspx

and what else? Do I need a new master or slave? obviously I am not very mechanically savvy.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Nosws6 View Post
    My freakin clutch went last night! My TO bearing was spinning for a while and making a whining noise and last night something happened while disengaging the clutch and I heard a couple of metal clunks, it sounded like what happened above. I have a friend who is a mechanic that is checking it out and am thinking about just buying a whole new ls7 setup and having him install (total $350 labor ) Question: What all do I need to buy in order to have this done?

LS7 kit
    http://www.sdparts.com/product/SDLS7...cFlywheel.aspx

and what else? Do I need a new master or slave? obviously I am not very mechanically savvy.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Definitely replace the master and slave cylinders when you change the clutch out. They are wear and tear items, and if either one was to fail, both have the potential to destroy your new clutch very quickly.

Black
    2001 Trans Am Ws6

Where is the best and cheapest place to buy a master, i can buy the slave from sdpc for $135.

Now in Summit LT1 Flavor! Y2KArcticSS's Avatar

Summit White
    2016 Camaro SS

When my slave and master simultaneously bit the dust, I got the LS7 kit, with 01+ slave, and stock master...only paid 200 for labor, but you get what you pay for....my cruise control hasn't worked since i got it back, and it's throwing a clutch switch malfunction code...bastard mechanic. Oh well, lesson learned. I'll do it myself or pay the extra to have it done right...............................

On a lighter note, the clutch system works great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2016 Summit White 1SS - The DD
    2001 NBM Trans Am WS6 - Wifey's Grocery Getter
    2000 Arctic White SS #1667 - Sold

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Well my clutch went in today, and good thing too cause my disk was in pieces, and my slave cylinder had leaked all over the place. Now on to the bad news... I've still got a tap coming from the bottom end and it sounds like a rod bearing....Fuck my life

RED, BLACK
    2001 WS6, 1998 TA

As far as I know, and have read they all seem to have some sort of ticking or slight knock in the engines. Mine does and it has 63,000 miles on it. Also after my install I had the clutch/bellhousing inspection cover slightly out of place and it was up against the flywheel making a knocking type sound and I thought a rod also. But I was relieved when I found the inspection cover loose. I readjusted it and tightened the bolt and all was good again.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

As far as I know, and have read they all seem to have some sort of ticking or slight knock in the engines. Mine does and it has 63,000 miles on it. Also after my install I had the clutch/bellhousing inspection cover slightly out of place and it was up against the flywheel making a knocking type sound and I thought a rod also. But I was relieved when I found the inspection cover loose. I readjusted it and tightened the bolt and all was good again.
    I know what you mean about a "ticking" sound. If you want to be particular I guess you can hear every engine "ticking", but what my mechanic said is that it sounds like it's coming from the bottom end...I'm going to get it this morning so I'll have to let you know what it is.

I'll definately check out hte inspection plate. Hopefully it's something as easy as that.

RED, BLACK
    2001 WS6, 1998 TA

Hope it's nothing serious. I was so relieved when I found mine was as simple as snugging up a bolt.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Hope it's nothing serious. I was so relieved when I found mine was as simple as snugging up a bolt.
    Thanks, I hope so too lol. I got the car yesterday, but my mechanic had somewhere to go and the car was already off the lift...so I'm taking it to another mechanic friends garage today to do some troubleshooting...that will be my first step.

It's really weird..the ticking sounds like its coming from the valvetrain, and at idle, it doesn't tap, under rpm's it gets a little louder but when I press in the clutch or pump my brakes it gets loud immediately.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 01-03-2012, 04:48 PM

Thread Information