Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

SOM
    2002 firebird formula

ls7 clutch on a ls1?

Anyone else have the ls7 clutch on an ls1? Im getting ready to do my cam swap and got the ls7 clutch assembly but i heard from a friend that the're no good?

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Plenty of guys on here have the LS7 clutch setup and they are more than happy with it. Since its a GM OEM part its been durability tested to their standards, which is a considerable advantage over aftermarket clutches. It will hold up to 500WHP, while maintining stock pedal feel, driveability, and reliability.

When/if it comes time for me to upgrade, thats most likely the setup I would go with.

SOM
    2002 firebird formula

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Plenty of guys on here have the LS7 clutch setup and they are more than happy with it. Since its a GM OEM part its been durability tested to their standards, which is a considerable advantage over aftermarket clutches. It will hold up to 500WHP, while maintining stock pedal feel, driveability, and reliability.

When/if it comes time for me to upgrade, thats most likely the setup I would go with.
    excellent, thank you sir

RED, BLACK
    2001 WS6, 1998 TA

I just did the Ls7 clutch and Ls2 flywheel swap last summer and the few times I got drive it, I was really happy with it. I got to put a little over 100 miles on it. I stood on it pretty hard a couple of times and it held fine. With my stock ( k/n and exhaust) car.

Blue
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am M6

I've got it also and it holds up great. I've made a few hard passes at the track and it holds strong. It's great!

06 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
    02 superchipsZ28 M6(sold)

i've considered going to this clutch also, i have heard the slave cylinder needs changed also. what else is?

RED, BLACK
    2001 WS6, 1998 TA

I've learned the hard way. I am always going to change the slave with every clutch from now on. My last clutch lasted a few 100 miles, there was a few other things the shop hadn't done, but that's another story. There not that expensive so it's just cheap insurance. I did a new master also because I wanted everything new. Since I didn't want to have to do things again this summer. Like 2 summers ago when I didn't get to drive my car because of the run around I got at a shop. So my friend and I redid it last summer right.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen WS6 View Post
    I've learned the hard way. I am always going to change the slave with every clutch from now on. My last clutch lasted a few 100 miles, there was a few other things the shop hadn't done, but that's another story. There not that expensive so it's just cheap insurance. I did a new master also because I wanted everything new. Since I didn't want to have to do things again this summer. Like 2 summers ago when I didn't get to drive my car because of the run around I got at a shop. So my friend and I redid it last summer right.
    Exactly. Its too much effort and time to do the whole jon and not change the slave cylinder, especially considering that aren't all that expensive.

Awaiting Activation
    I installed a LS7 clutch/ LS2 flywheel w/ a new slave last march. I have been to the strip twice with it and put on about 4000 miles. As already said it feels just like stock, but holds a lot more power!

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

Where's a good place to get an LS7 Clutch?

Blue
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am M6

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by chieftransam View Post
    I think thats the best price you're going to find anywhere.

Keep in mind though, it doesn't look like the kit includes the pilot bearing or the alignment tool, so you'll have to get those separetly.

RED, BLACK
    2001 WS6, 1998 TA

Yeah. That was the kit I bought. It did not come with the pilot bearing or alignment tool. I was glad my friend had one since I only had a 10 spline alignment tool.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen WS6 View Post
    Yeah. That was the kit I bought. It did not come with the pilot bearing or alignment tool. I was glad my friend had one since I only had a 10 spline alignment tool.
    What kind of pilot bearing did you use?? Stock, roller bearing, or one of those polyurethane ones??

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    I think thats the best price you're going to find anywhere.

Keep in mind though, it doesn't look like the kit includes the pilot bearing or the alignment tool, so you'll have to get those separetly.
    Thanks Chief and Wes. Mines about done for.

RED, BLACK
    2001 WS6, 1998 TA

I stayed with stock gm. I've never had any problems with them so I didn't want to mess with a good thing.

White
    91, Z/28, LT1, T-56

Ive got a lt1 with a t-56 from a 97 vette. I needed to know if the flywheels were balanced differently and would bolte up to the lt1. Im asking because i found a z06 clutch and flywheel setup for a decent price.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Hyzell View Post
    Ive got a lt1 with a t-56 from a 97 vette. I needed to know if the flywheels were balanced differently and would bolte up to the lt1. Im asking because i found a z06 clutch and flywheel setup for a decent price.
    How do you plan on bolting up a T56 from a Vette in to an F-body?? The Vette uses a rear mounted transaxle, everything is different.

White
    91, Z/28, LT1, T-56

It was all modified b4 i bought it and has the torque arm mount on it. It was installed on a 96 camaro previously. he gave me 2 bell housings one is for the lt1 style with the pull style and another w/o the opening for the clutch fork which is alot thicker but the exact bolt patern. it has the push slave w the bleeder that runs back through the cutout and down. It doesnt have the spring on the slave/throwout like i see on most setups.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

I concur with Wesman....the LS7 clutch retains stock-like driveability coupled with greater durability and substantially increased holding power. I had the typically sticking clutch pedal on my 2002 SS....installed the LS7 kit and the problem went away. I've romped on it pretty hard and it hasn't slipped or stuck to the floor yet! I'll let you guys know how it fares when I finish my head swap!
    2002 Camaro SS M6, 2.5 PRC 5.3L heads, TFS 228/230 cam, FAST 92, bolt ons + a 10 lb bottle in the back.

1989 Corvette L98, A4, Full bolt ons, etc.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information