Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

LS7 Clutch Junk or Good????

This is a discussion on LS7 Clutch Junk or Good???? within the Manual Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; Originally Posted by Wesman The only benefit of the adjustable master is that you can adjust the clutch engagement exactly ...

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    The only benefit of the adjustable master is that you can adjust the clutch engagement exactly where you want it to be. So you could make it enagage closer to the floor or higher up on the pedal, depending on preference.
    And that is exactly why I run an adjustable master cylinder. I prefer the clutch to grab high up off the floor. Just a personal preference thing.

NBM
    1999 Trans Am WS6

You have absolutely no reason to make claims against clutches like the LS7 without having substantial evidence that the clutch itself causes problems. There are many, many people on this forum and other running the LS7 clutch with zero issues, myself included.

And lets not forget about the thousands of Corvette Z06's that have this clutch in them stock and experience no issues with it.

I am running the LS7 and have been for years. No problems.

As for technical knowledge, I'm an ASE certified professional technician and have rebuilt T56's as well as done many clutch installs on these cars. What are your credentials?? You are the internet/mag quoter here, spewing up whatever you hear from vendors that want to sell you their clutch instead of an LS7. Of course they are going to try and make theirs look better, thats a given.

Once again...show proof to back up these claims. All you're doing is repeating what someone else said.

Whether the LS7 is a good choice comes down to one's personal preference. For street cars running bolt ons, its perfect. For track cars, obviously there are much better choices. I don't see why you are coming in here bashing a clutch that is perfect for it's intended purpose.
    LOL, like I said, do what you want. Blow off what I'm saying I dont care. Its a documented problem & just b/c you havent encountered it you dont believe it, fine by me. And yes, thousands of those clutches are being ran & I'd be willing to bet at least if not more than 90% of them are still on a stock master.

I have had my LS7 clutch in for 3yrs. It worked just fine until the hydrolics started to shit. What part of this have you missed? Here is where the problem lies. Yes, the adjustable masters change pedal engaugement height, they also flow more fluid to the slave. And good luck getting it adjusted back to the identical position of the stock master. There is a reason the shop selling one of the best masters on the market advises AGAINST upgrading to their unit on a broke in LS7 set-up.

I'm passing on information I have myself had to find out the hard way. You dont wanna believe it so be it, I could care less. I do not need a ASE certificate to prove anything, those are worth about as much as toilet paper anyhow seeing how most techs gets laughed at.

And again, like I said, call some vendors & see. I'm assuming you dont want to b/c you dont wanna hear from anyone that your wrong & have no clue about the issue being talked about but by god your ASE certified how could you not know about this, LOL.

I'm done, I have shared the info that I have discovered on this topic & others have also heard the exact same thing I'm stating. Those of you who want to listen to good tech info listen to this advice, those who want to blindly believe in the LS7 set-up & refuse to believe whats been said, so be it. One day when your hydrolics shit & you want something better than stock like the Tick but cant get the clutch to engauge/disengauge after the install & hours of tryin to adjust it just right, you'll then learn the hard way as well.
    Last edited by BIG_MIKE2005; 03-18-2011 at 11:12 AM.

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Camaro SS

You don't need an adjustable master. The pressure plate self adjusts to keep the engagement point where it is supposed to be.

Meaning you can have an LS7 clutch with 5,000 miles or 50,000 miles and it should engage at the same point.

The only benefit of the adjustable master is that you can adjust the clutch engagement exactly where you want it to be. So you could make it enagage closer to the floor or higher up on the pedal, depending on preference.

What do you mean by fluid pressure?? Fluid pressure in the system is not adjustable, the pressure depends on the stiffness of the pressure plate springs.
    well compared to my stock master and my friends tick master, his shifts are a lot smoother and a lot stiffer in the clutch pedal vs. mine. Mine feels really soft over his. After he put in his tick his shifting issues went away of clutch slippage etc, I feel that the stock unit doesn't provide enough pressure sometimes.

Our new Adjustable Master Cylinder successfully flows more fluid than the stock unit, makes clutch disengagement issues a thing of the past, uses a simple turnbuckle adjustment system and installs in 60-90 minutes.
    Seems to be legit to me. I'd like a much more firm pedal, it seems that my clutch master does not feel like it provides enough pressure for the throw out bearing to fully disengage the clutch at very high rpms and I will get some notchy shifts into third gear sometimes or even 4th. There have been times where 5th gear was impossible to get into at high rpm shifts. So tell me why wouldn't you want more hydraulic pressure behind your pedal to release the clutch between shifts? I don't have these issues all the time but it does happen once in a while.
    Last edited by Demon_Z28; 03-18-2011 at 11:27 AM.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005 View Post
    LOL, like I said, do what you want. Blow off what I'm saying I dont care. Its a documented problem & just b/c you havent encountered it you dont believe it, fine by me. And yes, thousands of those clutches are being ran & I'd be willing to bet at least if not more than 90% of them are still on a stock master.

I have had my LS7 clutch in for 3yrs. It worked just fine until the hydrolics started to shit. What part of this have you missed? Here is where the problem lies. Yes, the adjustable masters change pedal engaugement height, they also flow more fluid to the slave. And good luck getting it adjusted back to the identical position of the stock master. There is a reason the shop selling one of the best masters on the market advises AGAINST upgrading to their unit on a broke in LS7 set-up.

I'm passing on information I have myself had to find out the hard way. You dont wanna believe it so be it, I could care less. I do not need a ASE certificate to prove anything, those are worth about as much as toilet paper anyhow seeing how most techs gets laughed at.

And again, like I said, call some vendors & see. I'm assuming you dont want to b/c you dont wanna hear from anyone that your wrong & have no clue about the issue being talked about but by god your ASE certified how could you not know about this, LOL.

I'm done, I have shared the info that I have discovered on this topic & others have also heard the exact same thing I'm stating. Those of you who want to listen to good tech info listen to this advice, those who want to blindly believe in the LS7 set-up & refuse to believe whats been said, so be it. One day when your hydrolics shit & you want something better than stock like the Tick but cant get the clutch to engauge/disengauge after the install & hours of tryin to adjust it just right, you'll then learn the hard way as well.
    So if I'm reading this correctly, there is a specific incompatibility between a Tick master cylinder and the adjustable LS7 pressure plate only after the stock master cylinder has failed.

Now, I'm not saying your wrong here, I just need a better explanation.

The adjustable pressure plate is supposed to compensate for a worn clutch disc. As the clutch disc wears, the diaphragm spring fingers move forward forcing the release bearing and slave piston to move. This movement forces the slave cylinder piston to move forward in its bore, consuming hydraulic fluid from the master cylinder reservoir. The adjustable pressure plate tries to keep the "fingers" in the same location in relation to the slave cylinder. the adjustment bumps the plate part of the pressure plate closer to the worn disc. So I don't see how a bad master or an adjustable master could possibly affect that.

In contrast to that, with any aftermarket non adjustable pressure plate, the hydraulic system provides the only self adjustment to compensate for a worn clutch disc. As the disc wears, the slave fills up with more fluid. Problem is, there isn't much reserve fluid , so you need to keep an eye on topping it off

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by Demon_Z28 View Post
    well compared to my stock master and my friends tick master, his shifts are a lot smoother and a lot stiffer in the clutch pedal vs. mine. Mine feels really soft over his. After he put in his tick his shifting issues went away of clutch slippage etc, I feel that the stock unit doesn't provide enough pressure sometimes.
    The Tick has a bigger bore I believe. So it pumps more volume. In hydraulics, as volume goes up, pressure go down. So it requires more pedal pressure to make up for less hydraulic pressure....follow me?? I'm not sure my explanation is easy to follow.

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Camaro SS

I am not retarded... I get what your saying but you can have higher pressure through a larger diameter bore... But realize the clutch line to the slave and the slave of varible space does not change therefor pressure would not be decreased in the amount of space it takes up. Squeezing larger volume through the same or smaller area will increase pressure. So yeah I just don't think your answer Applies to this issue.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

umm no. But I knew that I did screw up my previous explanation.
    I said hydraulic pressure but I meant to say the pressure the slave cylinder applies to the clutch is reduced with a bigger master cylinder...which requires more pedal effort to make up for it.

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Camaro SS

Makes sense

Black
    1998 z28

Does the ls7 clutch need to be shimmed?Im thinking about installing an ls7 .
    http://www.gmhightechperformance.com.../photo_20.html

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

It does not need to be shimmed.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread Information