Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

LS7 Clutch Junk or Good????

This is a discussion on LS7 Clutch Junk or Good???? within the Manual Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; would the monster stage 4 premium be too aggressive for DD?...

Impounded
    would the monster stage 4 premium be too aggressive for DD?

Black
    69 Camaro, 99 Camaro SS

what monster did u get tater??? I just bought the monster stage 3. I already had a ls7 sitting in my garage but in the end i didnt want to put in a clutch and having issues at the track again. so i might as well do it right the first time

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Camaro69Mac View Post
    what monster did u get tater??? I just bought the monster stage 3. I already had a ls7 sitting in my garage but in the end i didnt want to put in a clutch and having issues at the track again. so i might as well do it right the first time
    stage 3, doesn't seem too bad as a daily imo

Impounded
    still chattering?

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by BashamWS6 View Post
    still chattering?
    It has its moments, i've been putting a little on it every day. Was crazy when i first got it, i thought something was wrong with it

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

A clutch could also chatter if the spacing is not set-up properly. It always does not have to do with the manufacturer, but the install, as with anything.

NBM
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    A clutch could also chatter if the spacing is not set-up properly. It always does not have to do with the manufacturer, but the install, as with anything.
    On the Monster clutches once you get above the Level 2 set-up its been verified by SNL themselves its the nature of the clutch, not the install. It just needs to be driven & broken in then its all good.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005 View Post
    Yep & the awsome thing some of these shops are not telling people is how that adjustable plate can screw them in the future. Honestly I dont think they really care as long as they can sell the units.
    Please explain your reasoning behind claiming that the self adjusting mechanism can "screw them in the future".

These are OEM clutches that are designed to last the life of the car, there are no features that are going to cause premature failure.

What kills OEM GM clutches is abuse, they are not designed for hot lapping the strip or holding more power than they are rated for. Other than that, with the LS7 setup you get an affordable, high quality, smooth engaging, light pedal effort replacement clutch that will easily hold 400WHP.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    What kills OEM GM clutches is abuse, they are not designed for hot lapping the strip or holding more power than they are rated for.
    Same can be said for the 10 bolt. This exactly why you should go with a better clutch.
    Other than that, with the LS7 setup you get an affordable, high quality, smooth engaging, light pedal effort replacement clutch that will easily hold 400WHP.
    Maybe, in a 3000lb car.

I can hotlap the track launching at 6,500 on slicks in my 3500lb F body with my Mcleod kevlar as many times as I want. Never had any chatter.
    Last edited by INMY01TA; 03-16-2011 at 08:24 PM.

NBM
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Please explain your reasoning behind claiming that the self adjusting mechanism can "screw them in the future".

These are OEM clutches that are designed to last the life of the car, there are no features that are going to cause premature failure.

What kills OEM GM clutches is abuse, they are not designed for hot lapping the strip or holding more power than they are rated for. Other than that, with the LS7 setup you get an affordable, high quality, smooth engaging, light pedal effort replacement clutch that will easily hold 400WHP.
    My reasoning isnt reasoning at all, its fact. I have a LS7 set-up currently & am experiencing this exact problem. Im not the only one, but I'm also not suprised this hasnt already been covered on this site.

Why dont you call Tick or TDP & ask them. They will verify what I have said. There is a reason 99% of clutches on the market do NOT have a adjustable pressure plate. When you compare the cost of the LS7 clutch set-up & then factor in that once you swap to the LS2 flywheel your stuck from then on out with a LS7 plate/disc its not a logical buy, sorry. I made the same mistake & jumped on one 3yrs ago. To believe a OEM clutch will last the life of a vechicle is ignorance. It might be true if you only drive 50 miles on the weekend & keep it garaged the rest of its life, but for a daily drive your gonna be doin a clutch about every 60-70k miles or so. Again this is on cars that actually get driven.

Everyone is so fast to defend the almighty LS7 clutch, especially if they havent encountered this issue. But once you do you discover its a huge PITA to correct it. And options are limited. There are enough non-adjustable aftermarket clutches on the market & close to the same price there is really no reason to buy a OEM LS7 clutch. In the long run its worth it to spend a extra $100-200 on a good clutch set-up that has flexibility when considering future upgrades to hydrolic components. Then as long as your flywheel is in good shape you can use pretty much any non-adjustable plate/disc made to work with a stock style flywheel when you need to replace a clutch.

I know I'll never lock myself into a clutch set-up like this again, I have learned my lesson. And that lesson is gonna come in at about $1000 to ditch this LS7 crap, buy a new clutch/flywheel, Tick master & GM slave just so the car will go into gear & drive properly. If I hadnt gone this route I'd be out $300 for the Tick master, $120 for a GM slave & cost of a new disc. I could reuse the current pressure plate & stock flywheel. Talk about saving money & still getting to service the clutch.

I'm not just making empty claims against the LS7 clutch as I'm currently running one. Multiple shops have encountered this issue as well. I'm just tryin to inform those who do not know about the potiential issues yet before it ends up biting them.
    Last edited by BIG_MIKE2005; 03-17-2011 at 06:08 AM.

Impounded
    My reasoning isnt reasoning at all, its fact. I have a LS7 set-up currently & am experiencing this exact problem. Im not the only one, but I'm also not suprised this hasnt already been covered on this site.

Why dont you call Tick or TDP & ask them. They will verify what I have said. There is a reason 99% of clutches on the market do NOT have a adjustable pressure plate. When you compare the cost of the LS7 clutch set-up & then factor in that once you swap to the LS2 flywheel your stuck from then on out with a LS7 plate/disc its not a logical buy, sorry. I made the same mistake & jumped on one 3yrs ago. To believe a OEM clutch will last the life of a vechicle is ignorance. It might be true if you only drive 50 miles on the weekend & keep it garaged the rest of its life, but for a daily drive your gonna be doin a clutch about every 60-70k miles or so. Again this is on cars that actually get driven.

Everyone is so fast to defend the almighty LS7 clutch, especially if they havent encountered this issue. But once you do you discover its a huge PITA to correct it. And options are limited. There are enough non-adjustable aftermarket clutches on the market & close to the same price there is really no reason to buy a OEM LS7 clutch. In the long run its worth it to spend a extra $100-200 on a good clutch set-up that has flexibility when considering future upgrades to hydrolic components. Then as long as your flywheel is in good shape you can use pretty much any non-adjustable plate/disc made to work with a stock style flywheel when you need to replace a clutch.
    mine has 89K and will probably have around 95K by the time it gets replaced
    it definantly needs to be replaced

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Saying its a fact doesn't mean anything. Show proof and maybe I'll take your claim seriously. You're "exact problem" could be attributed to many things, making the pressure plate the scape goat means nothing until you prove that its the pressure plate thats the issue.

I run the LS7 in my car, and its been excellent. Even after going to the track and running every gear to redline it hasn't failed me at all. Many cars run self-adjusting pressure plates and experience no problems.

I'm not looking to make any phone calls to verify anything you have said, that's you're issue if you can't prove the things you are saying without bringing in a 3rd party.

The reason many clutches do not have an adjustable pressure plate is because its MORE expensive. And many companies do not want to spend the money to have a feature such as that on their clutches.

I know I'll never lock myself into a clutch set-up like this again, I have learned my lesson. And that lesson is gonna come in at about $1000 to ditch this LS7 crap, buy a new clutch/flywheel, Tick master & GM slave just so the car will go into gear & drive properly. If I hadnt gone this route I'd be out $300 for the Tick master, $120 for a GM slave & cost of a new disc. I could reuse the current pressure plate & stock flywheel. Talk about saving money & still getting to service the clutch.
    Good for you. For the rest of us, the LS7 provides OEM driveability and longevity with smooth engagement and the ability to hold the power of a full bolt on car without an issue. If you drive your car abusively or go to the track on a regular basis, than the LS7 is not for you. But thats been discussed extensively and should come as no surprise to anyone.

NBM
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Wow, LOL. You dont wanna do enough leg work yourself to find out the truth continue on being ignorant. I have years of experience with these cars & I have no reason to bullshit people away from certain products unless there has been proven issues by multiple people.

You go on ahead & run that almighty LS7 clutch. If you ever start having hydrolic issues with your stock master and you dont want to put another stock unit in you will see. I honestly dont care if your stuborn ass trys to argue cause you obviously lack real technical knowledge & are a internet/magazine quoter.

Fact still remains for close to the same price there are better clutch options on the market that are direct bolt in applications just like the LS7 minus the adjustable pressure plate. LOL, and to try & say aftermarket doesnt offer adjustable plates b/c of cost shows the level of your mechanical knowledge. Cause thats not the reason at all, its b/c adjustable pressure plates have tendency to shit when pushed, non-adjustable do not. Go look at EVERY Monster clutch offered, Diamond too & Tex, Spec & McLoad. We arent talkin cheap clutches & if adjustable was so awsome their top of the line models would have a adjustable plate & people would buy them. But thats not the case & there are good reasons for it.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

i've been running the LS7 clutch and don't like it as much as the spec 3+ i had... (the spec clutch was great but one of the few times i didn't do my own work the instal was screwd up and my clutch ended up welding it self to the fly wheel due to a piece of debris...)

If you ever start having hydrolic issues with your stock master and you dont want to put another stock unit in you will see. .
    And this is exactly the issues I've been hearing about. For those that like to run the adjustable master cylinders like Tick, this self adjusting pressure plate becomes a problem.

I myself prefer the adjustable master cylinders, which is the main reason why I stay away from the LS7 adjustable pressure plates.

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Camaro SS

I have a friend running a LS7 clutch/ Tick master combo... no issues with 535 wtq. You can just readjust your tick if you were having issues with pressure plate adjustments right?

The adjustment for the tick is mostly for the fluid pressure if what I read is correct about tick masters.

I run a LS7 clutch kit w/ lightweight flywheel. I have probably 6,000 miles on this clutch w/ no issues.

NBM
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Demon_Z28 View Post
    I have a friend running a LS7 clutch/ Tick master combo... no issues with 535 wtq. You can just readjust your tick if you were having issues with pressure plate adjustments right?
    Nope & his Tick unit must have been installed at the time the clutch was as well which is fine. What screws people is when our POS stock master goes out & we want to upgrade to a aftermarket master. Since the adjustable plate already adjusted to the stock master it will not engauge/disenguage properly. I even talked to Joey at Tick about this b/c when I knew my master was messing up I wanted to buy the Tick unit to solve the issue for good. Told Joey I already had a broke in LS7 set-up & he told me not to install their master without either tryin to reset the pressure plate to brand new out of the box specs or get a new pressure plate.

This problem only shows up when tryin to switch masters. Hence why alot of people havent encountered it & try to call BS when the issue is mentioned.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Wow, LOL. You dont wanna do enough leg work yourself to find out the truth continue on being ignorant. I have years of experience with these cars & I have no reason to bullshit people away from certain products unless there has been proven issues by multiple people.
    You have absolutely no reason to make claims against clutches like the LS7 without having substantial evidence that the clutch itself causes problems. There are many, many people on this forum and other running the LS7 clutch with zero issues, myself included.

And lets not forget about the thousands of Corvette Z06's that have this clutch in them stock and experience no issues with it.

You go on ahead & run that almighty LS7 clutch. If you ever start having hydrolic issues with your stock master and you dont want to put another stock unit in you will see. I honestly dont care if your stuborn ass trys to argue cause you obviously lack real technical knowledge & are a internet/magazine quoter.
    I am running the LS7 and have been for years. No problems.

As for technical knowledge, I'm an ASE certified professional technician and have rebuilt T56's as well as done many clutch installs on these cars. What are your credentials?? You are the internet/mag quoter here, spewing up whatever you hear from vendors that want to sell you their clutch instead of an LS7. Of course they are going to try and make theirs look better, thats a given.

Fact still remains for close to the same price there are better clutch options on the market that are direct bolt in applications just like the LS7 minus the adjustable pressure plate. LOL, and to try & say aftermarket doesnt offer adjustable plates b/c of cost shows the level of your mechanical knowledge. Cause thats not the reason at all, its b/c adjustable pressure plates have tendency to shit when pushed, non-adjustable do not. Go look at EVERY Monster clutch offered, Diamond too & Tex, Spec & McLoad. We arent talkin cheap clutches & if adjustable was so awsome their top of the line models would have a adjustable plate & people would buy them. But thats not the case & there are good reasons for it.
    Once again...show proof to back up these claims. All you're doing is repeating what someone else said.

Whether the LS7 is a good choice comes down to one's personal preference. For street cars running bolt ons, its perfect. For track cars, obviously there are much better choices. I don't see why you are coming in here bashing a clutch that is perfect for it's intended purpose.

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Camaro SS

So what if I went to a non adjustable master that is suppose to provide for fluid pressure. Would this work? Because you have me wary of buying a tick master now.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Demon_Z28 View Post
    So what if I went to a non adjustable master that is suppose to provide for fluid pressure. Would this work? Because you have me wary of buying a tick master now.
    You don't need an adjustable master. The pressure plate self adjusts to keep the engagement point where it is supposed to be.

Meaning you can have an LS7 clutch with 5,000 miles or 50,000 miles and it should engage at the same point.

The only benefit of the adjustable master is that you can adjust the clutch engagement exactly where you want it to be. So you could make it enagage closer to the floor or higher up on the pedal, depending on preference.

What do you mean by fluid pressure?? Fluid pressure in the system is not adjustable, the pressure depends on the stiffness of the pressure plate springs.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information