black
    1999 ss m6

is an ls7 clutch going to work here?

whats up guys!

so my stock clutch is fubar'd i think, and looking at ls7 clutch, my car is basically stock (3.73gears/FTRA/lid/pulley) with a 100 wet shot of nitrous now, but i'd like to put in a clutch that could take full boltons/228cam/150shot

i dont really ever take the car to the track and i rarely spray the nitrous, i also commute in my car and its my only car, so i need something that will last a long time.

the problem is that i dont want to spend a ton of money, i know thats the classic speed question, but my clutch budget is in the 600$ range since with all the other parts i need to install that basically puts me at my 1000$ budget

so that basically leaves me with SPEC clutches (heard too much bad stuff and dont want to shim it) and the ls7 clutch, i like the ls7 clutch because its OEM so its reliable and the fact that it bolts in with no issues (and its cheap! ahah)

so my question is: will the ls7 clutch put up with boltons/228cam/150 shot every now and then? i know thats more then the clutch is rated for but my stock clutch holds 320rwhp+100shot just fine!
    Last edited by allforspeed; 12-30-2008 at 07:19 PM.

black
    1999 ss m6

FYI the most traction the car will ever have is nitto drag radials and its only a street car, i'm open for suggestions too! also, i really rarely use the nitrous, mostly just use it to scare my buddies and lay the occasional smack down on a turbo honda...hahaha..
    Last edited by allforspeed; 12-30-2008 at 09:05 PM.

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

i have a full bolt on car with the ls7 clutch and it works great. i believe, and someone correct me if im wrong, the ls7 clutch can handle 500hp.

black
    1999 ss m6

thanks man! i know the clutch is rated for 505hp but i'm just hoping/wondering if it would be able to take more than that for short periods of time in a street car that is on relatively non-sticky tires with 3.73 gears too

from what i can gather so far, that basically its only weakness is that it doesn't like to get hot too much so you just need to give it time to cool down. seems like lots of heads/cam cars on here putting down 450+ rwhp use the ls7 clutch without issues which would be 500+ hp at the flywheel.

did you install it? anything special i should know about installing this clutch that is different than any other clutch? did you just use the stock flywheel?

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by allforspeed View Post
    thanks man! i know the clutch is rated for 505hp but i'm just hoping/wondering if it would be able to take more than that for short periods of time in a street car that is on relatively non-sticky tires with 3.73 gears too

from what i can gather so far, that basically its only weakness is that it doesn't like to get hot too much so you just need to give it time to cool down. seems like lots of heads/cam cars on here putting down 450+ rwhp use the ls7 clutch without issues which would be 500+ hp at the flywheel.

did you install it? anything special i should know about installing this clutch that is different than any other clutch? did you just use the stock flywheel?
    yea im sure if you dont abuse it, it will be fine. nothing special with it, just like a normal clutch. i purchased the ls7 kit that came with the flywheel, clutch disc, and pressure plate.

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

Look into RAM clutches that is what I have in mine right now, and it has been great for me so far. It does chatter a little bit, though that is rather rare now, holds great, and the parts only cost me 450ish.

You should be fine with an LS7 as long as you don't hit it to hard and to often with hard shocks. Just remember the 500 hp rating is flywheel hp and for a much lighter car.

black
    1999 ss m6

bottesini, how much rwhp are you pushing? where did you get your RAM clutch and did you have to shim it? how many miles do you have on it so far?

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

Quote Originally Posted by allforspeed View Post
    bottesini, how much rwhp are you pushing? where did you get your RAM clutch and did you have to shim it? how many miles do you have on it so far?

When I had the stock 10 bolt I was just under 400 RWHP think it was 396. I actually did not install my clutch, but I am fairly certain there was no shim used. I bought and had RPM in Lewisville Texas install my clutch it was a special mix of RAM products, which I don't have the part numbers here, but if you want I can gather them up once I am home. The total cost for parts was right around 450 for the pressure plate and clutch.

As for how many miles I have on the car with the new clutch I think it is around 15K maybe 20K. It is my daily so it sees lots of normal street type situations like traffic and the highway. Still grabs great and now that I have a Moser 9" can not wait to put some stickies on and drop the clutch at 5k RPM.

silver
    1998 SS Z28

ls7 clutch

Looks like here we have peole running LS7 clutchs!!!! I was bone'n up on it and it has a clutch adjustment on the pressure plate. which can be done on the vett ....... I'm wondering how you can do it in th F body?? Any one look at this? wondering before I buy my clutch.......Thanks

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

Mine holds fine with 458 rwhp on a blown 98 Z28. I have no idea how you would or why you would adjust the LS7 clutch. This will stay till I build a motor and aim for 700+hp, and will go twin disc at that point.....
    Mike
    1998 Z28 Procharger and stuff
    2007 Chevy Avalanche

Thread Information