Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ls7 Clutch

RED, BLACK
    2001 WS6, 1998 TA

Ls7 Clutch

I was wondering if an Ls7 clutch would work with my extra Ls1 flywheel, or do I have to match it up with the Ls2 flywheel?
    I had a shop install all new oem clutch, flywheel, and pressure plate asm from gm last summer. So I still have all the old parts, and can have the flywheel turned before using again.
    I asked them to check the hydrolic system also. Well 4,000 miles later I need a new clutch again. I had/ have a bad slave cyl., so I plan on getting a new master and slave this time. I only wish I had meet someone last year that knows about these cars. It almost makes me want to offer a free trip to Alaska if someone knew alot about the clutch systems on the 01 WS6's.

Black
    2005 GTO

You need an ls2 flywheel to run the ls7 clutch. A new master and slave are a very good idea when replacing the clutch.
    05 PBM GTO
    Cold Air Inductions CAI,
    Relocated IAT with omega,
    Slp Predator tune,
    Flowmaster axle back with H pipe,
    Custom tuned TCM.
    BC Racing coil overs

Sold 01 z28

RED, BLACK
    2001 WS6, 1998 TA

Thanks. I think I'm going to order that kit that Scoggin-Dickey sells. Also a new master and slave. When I had the clutch replaced last year I asked them to check all the hydrolics, and I explained to them how it felt and they even drove it. But they said it was ok. Well I don't know if it was just starting to fail at that time, or if he knew it was going to fail and he knew I'd be back or not. I guess he doesn't realize I know a lot of people and I told them who I had put it in last year and now it's junk again. I wish my shop had that much work were I could pick and choose who my customers are and piss off the ones I don't want. The thing that bothers me is I've known them for over 10 years. Anchorage/ EagleRiver are firly small towns. Kinda one of those were almost everyone knows everyone. I'm having someone else help me do it this time. This guy owns an 02 SS and has alot of experiance with clutch failures. So he'll help me fix it right, and he's extremely picky which I like.

Black
    2005 GTO

Yes I would go ahead and order a kit. You may want to do some searching there a bunch of sites that carry the ls7 kit be sure to find the best price, it seems like every week or two someone is running a special on the ls7 kit.

Its always a good idea to replace at least the slave when doing a new clutch its just easier to do it all at once than doing it twice. The master is alot easier since the tranny does't have to be removed to replace it. I will soon be doing the same as you ls7 kit with new slave, I already have a new master so i'm good there. Good luck hope all turns out the right way this time.

RED, BLACK
    2001 WS6, 1998 TA

The main reason I was probably going to buy from SDPC was that I haven't heard any real negitive experiances with/about them.
    I hope it meets my expectations. It should since it has to hold up to the 505hp vette. My car is stock except the cat back and K&N air filter. I wish I knew as much about these hydrolic clutch systems as I do with 1955 - 1974 machanical clutches. I'm quickly learning though. There aren't many people up here that know alot about these cars. One of the guys that has some experiance, completely avoids me when he sees my car. I think he had some problems with the old owner of my car. I almost have to ship my car down to the rest of the world to get it worked on.

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

I'm looking into the ls7 clutch/ls2 flywheel combo for when I have to replace my clutch. I know that the ls2 flywheel isn't lightened and therefore the car wont rev faster but does anyone think it could be machined down to become lighter?

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Quote Originally Posted by GottaHaveLS1 View Post
    I'm looking into the ls7 clutch/ls2 flywheel combo for when I have to replace my clutch. I know that the ls2 flywheel isn't lightened and therefore the car wont rev faster but does anyone think it could be machined down to become lighter?
    why dont you just match it to an aluminum flywheel instead...?

Black
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    why dont you just match it to an aluminum flywheel instead...?
    That would be the better choice. I've been looking into the aluminum flywheel when I do the ls7 clutch in my car. I'm not really sure if its worth it though. You can score a ls7 kit for around $350-$400 and the ls2 aluminum flywheel its self is for $350.

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

I was under the impression that the ls7 clutch will only fit an f body with the ls2 flywheel...
    1999 Trans Am M6
    SLP Short Throw, Lid and CAI, Strano Springs, Koni Sport Shocks, BMR STB and SFC, UMI PHB, Pacesetter LT's and ORY, Magnaflow Catback, DMH 3" E-Cutout, LS7 Clutch, Motive 4.10, 160 T-Stat, MSD wires,, 17x9.5 Chrome C6's wrapped in Hankook 275/40/17

Tuned at Mongillo Motors in New Haven, CT - 303 RWHP and 308 RWTQ

Red
    2005 Cadillac CTS-V

Ok iv researched ls7 clutches quite a bit.......

Heres the absalute CHEAPEST kit, includes LS7 Clutch and LS7/LS2 flywheel (ls7/ls2 flywheels are the same)
    http://www.sdparts.com/product/SDLS7...ClutchKit.aspx

$420 shipped.......

I got my new master/slave cylinders at advance auto parts for $70 a piece....

I ended up getting a stage 2 spec, because a local covette speed shop that also works on f-bods said that the design on the ls7 clutch fingers was bad, that they stick or somthing, i forget......but i still belive a ls7 on a ls1 lightly modded would be alright.....

Ive seen the combo go for $300-350 on egay.......

RED, BLACK
    2001 WS6, 1998 TA

Thanks 2Much. The LS7 clutch was the way I am going to go. I'm glad sdparts has the best prices, because the freight to Alaska will be a killer. I thought there would be more write ups on this mod but I guess it still doesn't compare to a really good after market clutch when boosted, or heads, cam, and bolt on mods? Even though it has to hold up to the zo6 vette? I don't plan on drag/ street racing much so that's why I was thinking about going this route.

Red
    2005 Cadillac CTS-V

yea i think for replace the stock clutch, on a non modded car the ls7 is the way to go.

Blue
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am M6

will the ls7/ls2 setup be ok if you have over 400 (420) to the wheels?

Red
    2005 Cadillac CTS-V

yea if you arnt gonna be beating on it, dragging etc.

otherwise, get a aftermarket clutch.

Blue
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am M6

i will get on it a little bit with the occasional trip to the track. so sdpc does have the best price for the kit? i've heard specs and centerforce are bad and i don't have enough money to spend on a mcleod or textrelia (sp?) or something like that.

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by chieftransam View Post
    will the ls7/ls2 setup be ok if you have over 400 (420) to the wheels?
    seeing that it holds the 460+ rwhp that the zo6 has, I don't think it will be a problem.

RED, BLACK
    2001 WS6, 1998 TA

seeing that it holds the 460+ rwhp that the zo6 has, I don't think it will be a problem.
    Today 08:36 AM
    That was my thinking exactly.

Blue
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am M6

true...

Blue
    2001 Camaro SS

Can someone link me to a good LS2 flywheel that will work with the LS7 clutch/plate. I'd rather have something lighter than stock (billet steel?), but heard going aluminum isn't always the best idea.
    Last edited by Selride; 07-24-2007 at 05:27 PM.

RED, BLACK
    2001 WS6, 1998 TA

I just ordered the LS7 kit from scoogin-dickey, and the new master and slave from my local dealer. My dealer pricing was actually a little less then sdpc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information