white
    91 Camaro

Ls6 or SPEC stage 1 clutch

I just bought a 2000 camaro ss and the clutch is slipping. I don't really want a high performance clutch but I also don't want a stock clutch. The car is a daily driver but will most likely see a day or two at the track. Both 1/4 mile and autocross. I found two clutches that seemed reasonably priced one being the LS6 clutch kit with flywheel and the other is the SPEC stage one. I was wondering which one you guys think would better fit my needs.

Every day is a gift-enjoy preston1980's Avatar

Torch Red
    1999 Corvette Hardtop

I had a 99 TA, and I put in a LS6(ZO6) clutch from SLP. I bought it from LMPerformance.com. First of all, dont ever buy anything from LMP. The owner is a liar and a cheat, it looks like a good website, but it is a one man show. He jacks his prices way up, and never answers phone calls once the sale is over. The one time I demanded to talk to him, he was an ass.

Anyway, after my 1000 mile break in time, the very first time I punch it off the line, The clutch slipped real bad and it smoked itself. After that it wouldnt go into gear and was hard to disingage. I had it taken apart and they told me the pressure plate was bad from SLP, and the clutch was toast.

I called LMP.com, they said sorry about your luck, call SLP. SLP said sorry about your luck call LMP. WE dont warranty stuff we dont sell directly. I had the clutch in my car for less than 60 days. Keep in mind that I had the best shop around her put it in and I know they are not to blame.

After all that, I ordered a SPEC stage 3 plus. It was so much better put together. My guy at the shop said it was a much better clutch than the LS6 they put in before. I loved the clutch, I put about 10 thousand miles on it, before I traded it in. It never acted up or slipped at all. A little chatter for the first 500 miles, after that perfect. easy city driving, but could take a beating when I got on it. I was very happy.

So I say LMP.com, SLP and the LS6 clutch are a rip off. I would go with the SPEC. But I would at least get a stage 2. Go to www.ws6store.com , they have all the spec stuff for a good price. Sorry this was so long, hope it helps. Dont forget to upgrade the Master cylinder and the slave cylinder while you have it appart, trust me on that one. GM improved the 2 items in 2001, people were having some issues with the 98-2000 models. They go out with no warning and they usually ruin the clutch when they go. You can get them at your local GM dealer. And do the rear main seal to, even if its not leaking, could save ya from spending in the future.
    Last edited by preston1980; 11-16-2006 at 01:48 AM.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I would never put a SPEC clutch in my car. Get a Mcleod single disc kevlar. Drives like stock and leaves rubber on the road in 3rd and 4th.

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

LS7/LS2 flywheel combo form Fred BEans for under $550. Setup drives 100% like stock and has more than enough for your needs

white
    91 Camaro

Yea I think that I have decided to go with the ls7 kit everyone seems to really like it.

Torch Red
    1999 Corvette Hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by kylez28 View Post
    Yea I think that I have decided to go with the ls7 kit everyone seems to really like it.
    It is a good clutch. One of my friends has it. I just prefer the spec units, they are built out of better materials and have a stronger clamp, but they are more agressive than a GM unit would be, for me that is what I wanted, for others, they prefer the stock clutch feel.

As long as your staying under 450 horsepower at the wheels, the GM unit will work just fine.

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS-M6 #1775

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    I would never put a SPEC clutch in my car. Get a Mcleod single disc kevlar. Drives like stock and leaves rubber on the road in 3rd and 4th.

Could you get us some more info on the Mcleod clutches? prices?
    1999 Camaro SS/ Pewter/ #1775 - LS1 6-speed - Predator 3 Custom Tune - Pro 5.0 - LS7 Clutch - 3.90's - Koni's - Strano Springs and Sway Bars - SFC's - Full UMI Chassis and Suspension - LS6 Intake PnP TB - ARH LT's and Kitty Ran Away - Magnaflow.

12.6 at 112

http://www.fquick.com/Tyler_LS1

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler_LS1 View Post
    Could you get us some more info on the Mcleod clutches? prices?
    Most all the six speed guys around here use the Mcleod single disc kevlar. I've got about 30,000 miles on mine and it still hold 5,500-6,000rpm
    dumps on ET Streets at the track. Thunder racing (sponsor) sells Mcleod clutches, but doesn't list the single on the website. Could try calling them. It typically sells for about $840-$900. Comes with it's own adjustible billet aluminum master cylinder. You could prolly find more info on LS1Tech.com, and try some of the sponsors there.

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS-M6 #1775

Most all the six speed guys around here use the Mcleod single disc kevlar. I've got about 30,000 miles on mine and it still hold 5,500-6,000rpm
    dumps on ET Streets at the track. Thunder racing (sponsor) sells Mcleod clutches, but doesn't list the single on the website. Could try calling them. It typically sells for about $840-$900. Comes with it's own adjustible billet aluminum master cylinder. You could prolly find more info on LS1Tech.com, and try some of the sponsors there.

Thanks!

Torch Red
    1999 Corvette Hardtop

It typically sells for about $840-$900.
    Sounds like a good clutch, but price wise, I wouldnt pay it, unless that includes a new flywheel?

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

That's flywheel, pressure plate, disc and master.

Cobra, Z28, GN, F250

If I were going to spend the $$$ on a Spec, it'd be AT LEAST a stage 2....

-Will

Metalic Navy Blue
    2001 Camaro Z28

well I recomend that you buy the spec stage 3 PLUS since your draging (quarter mile) and autocrossing that clutch can handle hard launches and daily drivability.

Torch Red
    1999 Corvette Hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by Dillard99 View Post
    well I recomend that you buy the spec stage 3 PLUS since your draging (quarter mile) and autocrossing that clutch can handle hard launches and daily drivability.
    I can back that up. With my experiance with the Spec 3+, it is a good clutch.

I vote boo on ALL spec clutches.... I went through 2 stage ones in my car in about a year... and I don't drive hard or drag the clutch. I also have 2 friends of mine who used the stage 3's and they chattered far past 500 miles and also didn't last for shit...

Metalic Navy Blue
    2001 Camaro Z28

your correct when I intalled mine it chattered also because I did not put
    on the spacer that came with the clutch that gos between the slave and tranny by intalling it properly with the spacer it stoped the chattering and it
    also stops you clutch pedal from getting stuck when launching hard or speed shifting. I confirmed it with they said that the spacer has to be installed.

Erroneous. I installed the spacer, and so did my friends, and the clutches still failed.....

Thread Information