• Hate it

4 19.05%
  • I'm indifferent

7 33.33%
    Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Love or hate your Spec Clutch?

When i still had the batmobile, everyone i knew with an fbody told me "GET A SPEC 3 MAN!" so i did. At the time [spring 2005], there was a sponsor on here that sold them for REDICULOUS cheap and I literally bought one for $10 more than a spec 1. After the "break in period" I learned to love it-it held great and never gave me any problems. After about 10k miles on it, i could even slip it into first where as before, i had to almost "launch" it from a stop during normal street driving.

Then I heard this story:

My friend zbizkit bought a spec 3 after me in Summer 2005 from a different dealer. He had so many issues with that thing and after about 15k miles had to replace it AND the flywheel; the whole set up was mangled and fried.

From what i've heard, a lot of people had issues with the spec 3s from that era...what are your thoughts?

Current best: 10.60/126.8
    1998 Pontiac TA WS6

When I had one I liked it. It didn't chatter like everyone said it would, it pressure required to engage the clutch was not bad at all. The only thing I can complain about is it only lasted 2k miles. But that was probably my fault for beating the crap out of it. I went ahead and voted "loved it".

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Ran a SPEC 5. Fried it. But it was my fault. I tried to use the stock flywheel. Well...when it got machined, I failed to tell the shop to take off as little as possible. Too much came off and caused the clutch to barely make contact. In turn overheating and burning up the pressure plate, flywheel, and disc.

Running a SPEC 4 this time. So far so good. Holds great. Engagement is harsh, but not terrible. Decent street manners for a SPEC clutch that holds 700 ft/pounds. No chatter since it has been broken in.

I don't think I would try the SPEC 3 though. From what I understand there were all kinds of problems with them. SPEC supposedly fixed them, but I am not sure on that.

Le Mans Blue
    2004 Z16

Heh. I have a SPEC 3 and couldn't be happier so far. I've put about 2000mi on it and have beat the snot out of it with my juiced 383. The engagement is is getting better with more miles as it was on/off like a light-switch when it was first installed...

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

I had a Spec 3 in my 00 SS and it was ok but had the chatter to it. Found out later that the flywheel wasn't resurfaced when replaced. SO I had bought a new Spec 3 Plus with new flywheel, slave and master. Never installed it but sold with along with the car. Was really wanting to see what kind of difference a new set up would have made in it. I would run another spec for sure.

SlamminGears

Black
    01 TransAm WS6

I just posted the same question. I didn't see yours.
    I had a III with the aluminum flywheel and it lasted 45,000 miles before it blew up. I loved it but there customer service was no good. Immediately it was "something wrong with your car that made it blow up." All I have is bolt ons with a 4.11. That was about 3 years ago. I want to put another III in but I am hesitant.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Jray67 View Post
    I just posted the same question. I didn't see yours.
    I had a III with the aluminum flywheel and it lasted 45,000 miles before it blew up. I loved it but there customer service was no good. Immediately it was "something wrong with your car that made it blow up." All I have is bolt ons with a 4.11. That was about 3 years ago. I want to put another III in but I am hesitant.
    that is a major complaint. they are quick to accuse the installer or car.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Had a couple in different cars they worked good on ALL motor but in NO way did they hold up to ANY amount of real bottle with sticky tires!!

We moved all the cars to Mcleod and have had NO Problems since!!!

http://www.mcleodind.com/index.html
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Red
    2005 Cadillac CTS-V

I think alot of the people that bitch against certain clutches didn't install them right, weather they didn't resurface the fly wheel or replace both cylinders or replace the pilot bearing.........i got a stage 2, i almost was gonna not resurface the flywheel, but a friend convinced me too, i took it to napa, the machinist said it was REALLY bad, he took about .010 off of it and it was so much better....

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

That's common sense.... If you are really trying to make some real power or run some good et's I think people are not trying to cut corners!!
    Not getting the flywheel turned is about like buying new tires and not getting them balanced.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I've always heard they were P'sOS. Everyone I've ever known with six speeds run Mcleod. I've punished mine for over 35,000 miles and still no problems.

Black
    2000 Z28

Well, back in 05 I got a SPEC 3 with a SPEC aluminum fly and that stupid thing lasted like 4 months tops. I drove it hard but that is still no excuse for a "high performance" clutch to waste that soon. I then dished out another wallet full of money for my current and still kicking a**, Centerforce dual friction and steel fly.
    So, I'll never go back to SPEC unless they hook me up with a freebie.
    I've used Centerforce on previous vehicles and never had problems so with that said, Centerforce!
    Camaro Z28/SS...40+ years of mustang humiliation.
    View my garage: http://www.fquick.com/Y2KBlackZ28

Black
    99 SS

got a spec3+, i absolutly love it so far only have 400 miles on it, been to the track once, feels great just like a stock clutch. also

insert witty title here Blk00ws6's Avatar

Black
    2000 WS6

Just got a spec 3+ in today. I'll let you know when the chatter stops and I get some quality time in

Le Mans Blue
    2004 Z16

Update on my SPEC 3:
    Drove it to SC and beat the snot out of it. Proceded to drive directly to FL and beat the snot out of it. Drove it back to VA and beat the snot out of it some more. The only complaint I have is that the pedal seems to slightly "hang up" sometimes. This could be caused by something else tho...

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by danziger View Post
    Update on my SPEC 3:
    Drove it to SC and beat the snot out of it. Proceded to drive directly to FL and beat the snot out of it. Drove it back to VA and beat the snot out of it some more. The only complaint I have is that the pedal seems to slightly "hang up" sometimes. This could be caused by something else tho...
    When you say your beating the snot out of it what kind of power are you puting through it?
    What kind of mods are done on your car?
    Also are you even hooking....As in a sticky drag radial or are you on regulaer street tires?
    I would bleed your hyd. slave system and see if it changes the pedal feel at all and then proceed from there on your pedal issue.

Thread Information