redls1bird

lightwieght flywheel

Anyone know of a good lightweight out there? im going to be putting a clutch in, sometime in the next year, and want to put a lightweight flywheel in at the same time. anyone here of any driveability issues related to this? or how about crank bearing wear? i know some cars are prone to this since the flywheel is used to help balance the internals. any ideas?

Most wouldn't reccomend a lightweight flywheel for a daily driver. They take more effort and RPMs to get out of the hole and slightly help acceleration (less weight to spin). Fidanza makes a good aluminum flywheel (there's currently a Cobra in Vegas putting over 670 to the wheels with a Fidanza and a Spec 3). As for extra wear, I guess it would come to how you drive it. The balance issues are unknown to me. Hope I helped!

constant modder councelor hissin'98's Avatar

Black '98 Z/28 M6
    H/C/Turbo....why?

you will want to stay away from light flywheels. Light flywheels are mostly for 4 bangers cause they don't have the power to spin 'em. like posted above, it will take more rpm to get it moving and it sucks on launch because of the loss of inertia in a light flywheel. This is why big trucks and tow trucks have heavy flywheels for more momentum.

seabring silver
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by hissin'98
    you will want to stay away from light flywheels. Light flywheels are mostly for 4 bangers cause they don't have the power to spin 'em. like posted above, it will take more rpm to get it moving and it sucks on launch because of the loss of inertia in a light flywheel. This is why big trucks and tow trucks have heavy flywheels for more momentum.

Big trucks have big thick heavy fly wheels because they absorb and disapate heat better. I installed light weight fly wheel (23lb steel) and I noticed that it seems easier to take off and I droped a tenth off my quarter mile time.

Daily driving with one is fine unless you have 600+ HP you're playing with. Makes the streetablity and reving more fun. But if you're used to a launch RPM, count on upping it 1k

Silver & Black
    99 Camaro SS

Given the same diameter (which would be the case here) a lighter flywheel would allow more HP and Torque delivery to the rear wheels. It is based on Moment of Inertia "MOI", a spinning mass effectively weighs more the faster you rotate it, the more mass, radius, and how much mass is spread further out on the radius all increase this effect.

So if you are revving and drop the clutch in w/ the engine/flywheel @ 2000 rpm the flywheel will help you transfer more power to the wheels until your rpms bottom at full clutch engagement. It is basically transferring the energy through force or momentum that was there due to MOI. Once you starting climbing rpms it is then robbing you.

So both interpretations said here are true, guys that have changed can feel a little loss in the first part of take off, the others are noticing the latter accelerated time through the rpm band.

All in all, physics says the lighter flywheel will perform better. Also help you save gas.

Thread Information