Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Launched hard, couldnt get into ANY gear. Ideas???

Alright, I went to the track last night. First pass, Launched at 5500 RPM, pulled a 1.69 60'. Best ever Went to grab 2nd, and it was locked out. As was all other gears. Coasted all the way down the track. I tried repeatedly to get into any gear. No dice. Clutch did not stick to floor, doesnt feel spongey, and did not smell any odor of burnt clutch. I left the car there and went and watched the races with my girlfriend. (She loved it, first time going). Went back 1.5 hours later, and it went into gear... not willingly though. Another hour pass's and it drives fine. Not leaking, full.

Clutch is a Spec 3

Im thinking maybe, fluid burnt, its black Or a slave problem.

Anyone able to help me out with this problem? Im going to change the fluid, but I cant be having this happen at the track. Its just bad mojo Heres a video of when it happened. Announcer though I missed a gear After that he said "Looks like the Pontiac no longer owns a clutch"

http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h4...t=MVI_1837.flv

light grey
    1978 Volvo 242GT

Temperature Related Clutch Issue?

Try this simple test. Do another (safer) lower rpm burnout to heat up your clutch. Then try to shift your tranny again. If you can't shift while using the clutch, then just gently shift without using the clutch.

If the tranny up and down shifts without the clutch (do this gently--trying to match rpm shifting up and down going thru neutral) then it means the tranny appears to be OK. That just leaves the clutch as the source.

Sounds like some sort of temp related clutch releasing issue. Perhaps when hot, the clutch is not releasing? As to what could cause this, your idea is as good as mine. Are the components compatable? Wear? HB of CJ

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

If it wouldn't go into ANY gears I would say it's a clutch issue. Sounds like it got stuck and didn't disengage.

I think you might have the right idea and change fluids and possibly look at the slave.

BTW - You are right about these Nitto's and launching. I was at the track today finally....

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by HB of CJ View Post
    Try this simple test. Do another (safer) lower rpm burnout to heat up your clutch. Then try to shift your tranny again. If you can't shift while using the clutch, then just gently shift without using the clutch.

If the tranny up and down shifts without the clutch (do this gently--trying to match rpm shifting up and down going thru neutral) then it means the tranny appears to be OK. That just leaves the clutch as the source.

Sounds like some sort of temp related clutch releasing issue. Perhaps when hot, the clutch is not releasing? As to what could cause this, your idea is as good as mine. Are the components compatable? Wear? HB of CJ
    I was going to try that. Go out and just launch at a lower RPM a few times to see if it comes back. Its rained almost everyday here since the problem. I still cant replicate the same scenario though. The burn out at 4500 for 5-6 seconds, holding it at 5500 on the line etc. That all adds alot of heat to the hydraulics. I would look at the clutch being the culprit, but I didnt smell clutch at all. Not even the slightest bit. The car drove (normal) the whole way home roughly 65 miles. If I have to drop the transmission for any reason, a new (non Spec) clutch is going in for sure.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Well, I finally got a day where it wasnt raining. I put 50 miles on the car today. I didnt actually launch the car from a dead stop, that just tears the MT DR's up. But I went WOT 1st/2nd/3rd/ and touched 4th five times. It shifted fine. When I get back from my road trip, ill have time to flush it out and get back to the track. Hopefully I can mimick the 1.69 60' again and be able to shift the car

Thread Information