Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 31 of 31

Just Wondering...

This is a discussion on Just Wondering... within the Manual Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; Originally Posted by egod I hear that the Richmond are noisey as hell Only if setup incorrectly. I have 3 ...

  1. #21
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by egod View Post
    I hear that the Richmond are noisey as hell
    Only if setup incorrectly. I have 3 cars here with Richmonds, all nice and quiet. I've setup others with Richmonds without noise issues.

    All gears will make noise if not setup with correct pinion depth and back lash. Some more than others. Also Poly bushings magnify things 2 times over.
    Motive has the reputation of being quiet, but they also go though a different heat treating process, that makes me believe it's somewhat a softer gear that would obviously run quieter as a result. Probably leaves a little fudge room when setting them up for those that never take the time to get the Richmonds right to begin with.
    Because of that I've felt that Motives are an inferior gear as far as strength, and longevity wear and tear.
    In any event, I've used them if the person so desires, but you won't find them in my stuff. To Motives credit though, I recently setup a 9 inch with Motives for my neighbors 67 stang. They came out fine, no noise either. For a part time cruiser they will work fine.

  2. #22
    Member TRANS-DAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    PASADENA,TEXAS
    Posts
    391

    BLACK
    2001 T/A VERT.

    I'm runnin 4.10's now (GM gear) very quiet.....& I actually use 6th gear now!! with the stock 3.42 & 26.5" tall tire I felt like I had to be speeding just to use 6th gear!! lol!!
    Hell even now I'm only runnin 2000rpms @ 70mph!!

  3. #23
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by TRANS-DAD View Post
    I'm runnin 4.10's now (GM gear) very quiet.....& I actually use 6th gear now!! with the stock 3.42 & 26.5" tall tire I felt like I had to be speeding just to use 6th gear!! lol!!
    Hell even now I'm only runnin 2000rpms @ 70mph!!
    Really?? I use 6th at anything over 40 mph with the stock 3.42's and 26 inch tall tires.
    Even has a mild cam and it lugs down pretty well. I can even hit 35 mph, give it some throttle and it picks up speed just fine without bucking or kicking.

    With 4.10's I'd just leave it in 6th and never have to down shift to slow and make turns,,,lol. Be like driving an automatic.

  4. #24
    Member TRANS-DAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    PASADENA,TEXAS
    Posts
    391

    BLACK
    2001 T/A VERT.

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Really?? I use 6th at anything over 40 mph with the stock 3.42's and 26 inch tall tires.
    Even has a mild cam and it lugs down pretty well. I can even hit 35 mph, give it some throttle and it picks up speed just fine without bucking or kicking.

    With 4.10's I'd just leave it in 6th and never have to down shift to slow and make turns,,,lol. Be like driving an automatic.
    HaHaHa!!! you must be think-n bout one of your big block cars i've seen in your garage!!!.....are you sure you can remember driving the 4th gen.? lol!! J/K!! ........... but really prob. just me but when the 3.42's were in I would be
    constantly shifting back & forth from 5th & 6th on the freeway if i slowed down any!!!......

  5. #25
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by TRANS-DAD View Post
    HaHaHa!!! you must be think-n bout one of your big block cars i've seen in your garage!!!.....are you sure you can remember driving the 4th gen.? lol!! J/K!! ........... but really prob. just me but when the 3.42's were in I would be
    constantly shifting back & forth from 5th & 6th on the freeway if i slowed down any!!!......
    Haha, although I'll admit my wifes 4th gen doesn't have the grunt of our BBC, it does chug down in 6th pretty well. I've found no need to downshift from 6th when slowing down to even 40 mph if I don't have to.
    Granted now if I wanted to pick up speed in a hurry than ya, I'd have to find another gear, but putting around town it does rather well.

  6. #26
    Senior Member karpetcm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Tujunga, CA
    Posts
    1,646

    White
    01 Camaro 6speed

    i go into 6th 80% of the time above 50mph and sometimes above 40mph.
    1993 Z28 M6: K&N Intake, 52mm TB, TB Bypass, No Cats, Exhaust Cutout, Flowmaster Muffler, 3.90 Gears, 160 Thermo, Tune, BMR Springs, Bilstein Shocks, 3 Point SFC,s & MGW Shifter.

  7. #27
    Member TRANS-DAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    PASADENA,TEXAS
    Posts
    391

    BLACK
    2001 T/A VERT.

    Quote Originally Posted by karpetcm View Post
    i go into 6th 80% of the time above 50mph and sometimes above 40mph.
    Yeah! but you have 4.10's!.......... I do the same , just cruise-n anything over 50 im in 6th now!........

  8. #28
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by TRANS-DAD View Post
    Yeah! but you have 4.10's!.......... I do the same , just cruise-n anything over 50 im in 6th now!........
    Ya I noticed that. I'm doing what he is describing with the 3.42's.

    With 4.10's I'd never need to leave 6th gear,,,lol.

    I think I'm starting to get an idea now as to why most everyone on here complains about crappy gas mileage around town.

  9. #29
    Member TRANS-DAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    PASADENA,TEXAS
    Posts
    391

    BLACK
    2001 T/A VERT.

    HaHaHa!!!! no I've never even checked my milage!!.....it's just a wknd car! But really it's probably just because I DD a Dodge truck w/an auto & a 3.91 gear (factory) & it's a torque monster!!......Just diff. drivin habits i'm sure!!!

  10. #30
    Junior Member incbed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    49

    Black
    2000 Z28 M6 Y3F

    I don't know about the rest of yall ,but I use mine as a daily driver just because I love driving this car wether i'm driving slow or fast.

    I always skip gears,,,If I am starting from a stop I start from 1st then to 3rd to 5th then 6th and if I am in traffic I go from 2nd to 4th to 5th.

    When I drive like this and never get the rpms over 1,800 I will get 27.7mpg to 28mpg in return I only have to fill up my tank once a week for getting me back and fourth to work.

    As for the rear end noise my old 99 Z28 M6 hummed loud when I bought it new and so the GM dealer replaced the gears it didn't humm for about two weeks ,but after giving it He!! every single day it was humming agian, so I just let it humm and I never had any problems out of it and I drove it like that for over 2 years until I had to sale it.
    As for my 2000 Z28 M6 I have now it hummms also.

    I have never heard of anyone locally that has been able to stop the rearend from humming with any brand ring and pinion and bearings.

    All in all I just enjoy driving these cars wether the rearend is humming, the rear brake pads are squealling,the rear hatch squeaking,the big long heavy doors,the slow window motors, the cosole lid breaking, the head lights fogging over, and O2's causing the check engine light to come on,,I am always excited to drive it.

  11. #31
    Member Baluchitherium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    46
    Posts
    319
    It has a big wing!

    Quote Originally Posted by incbed View Post

    All in all I just enjoy driving these cars wether the rearend is humming, the rear brake pads are squealling,the rear hatch squeaking,the big long heavy doors,the slow window motors, the cosole lid breaking, the head lights fogging over, and O2's causing the check engine light to come on,,I am always excited to drive it.
    Well said!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Just wondering...
    By FORD RECOVERY EXPERT in forum Request and Feedback
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-17-2009, 07:27 PM
  2. Just Wondering
    By Retired Cop in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-05-2008, 09:07 AM
  3. Just wondering
    By sidewayz in forum Request and Feedback
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-16-2008, 05:55 PM
  4. I am just wondering...
    By JwMonE99 in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-14-2008, 10:25 PM
  5. i was wondering.....
    By a-mean-89-iroc in forum LT1
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-13-2005, 09:43 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •