Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Improved shifting now

Over the weekend I installed a 6.5 inch shifter stick and a MK1 knob. I have been considering a pro 5.0 shifter, but this inexpensive mod (less than $50) has made such a difference I don't think I'll worry about any other shifter for a while.

The MK1 knob was the biggest expense ($30 or so) but it feels great. The short stick included a metal spacer for the offset and used 6mm allen head bolts. It only requires removal of the shift boot, neither piece of the console had to be removed. The only problem was the knob was SAE threaded. This was solved by wrapping electrical tape two times around the shaft. Then the knob screws down, it's still tight but leaves just a little wiggle room so the knob can be rotated with a little effort. The boot terminates just inside the bottom of the knob and looks like a custom fit.

I love it.

If anyone wants a me to post a pic, say so and I'll try to take one.

John

Pewter
    2000 Z28

boot removal

How did you get the shifter boot off w/out removing the console? I bought the same short stick I think (sounds the same) and I can only get to 2 of the tabs that hold the boot. They're the ones just inside of the ashtray. My interior is near mint, and I dont want to brake anything.
    FOR SALE 2000 Z28 M6
    It's pretty much Raw Awesome

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by buswwa View Post
    How did you get the shifter boot off w/out removing the console? I bought the same short stick I think (sounds the same) and I can only get to 2 of the tabs that hold the boot. They're the ones just inside of the ashtray. My interior is near mint, and I dont want to brake anything.
    If you are careful, you can bend the plastic piece that is in the bottom of the boot enough to clear the tabs, then just lift. Be very careful though. It will break. Mine actually was already broken prior to me buying the car, which made it easier. I was able to epoxy it back together and now it is solid.

Just take your time and it will come off. You will have to take the knob off so the boot can slide up.

Thread Information