i think my clutch is slipping

This is a discussion on i think my clutch is slipping within the Manual Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; so... heading to school yesterday, a guy from our class was behind me, just driving along in 5-6th 45-55, its ...

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

i think my clutch is slipping

so... heading to school yesterday, a guy from our class was behind me, just driving along in 5-6th 45-55, its a 55 but a i had a couple cars in front of me who weren't staying steady so i couldn't either.

about halfway there i started smelling clutch, didn't notice any speedo-rpm differences and couldn't tell if it was my car or maybe one in front of me. we get to school and he tells me he was smelling clutch strong. and the smell was lingering around our cars. it was raining so i didn't look for anything then. when i was headed home i put it in third on the highway and stomped it, no slippage the speedo and tach both moved in sync.

whats going on?

im hoping a fluid change will help, hopefully fix it.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

um, if you dont notice any rpm "bounces" or increases without speed increase, you clutch is NOT slipping.

Could have been a car ahead of you? Maybe it was slipping during your shifts?

A good way to see if your clutch is on the way out is to do the following:

go 60 or so on the highway in 5th gear, put pressure on the brake pedal and simultaneoulsy give it some gas, if the clutch is going bad the rpms will increase under load due to clutch slippage.

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

it could of been the car in front of me, that would be ideal, but why would the smell linger around our cars?

the fluid neeeeeeeds changing, its the original fluid with 140k miles on it, so im gonna change that regardless.

1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

lingering smell maybe due to rain? not sure, i know the smell ur talking about tho, i've experienced it many times with my car! hah

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

whenever i hit the brakes HARD i get the same smell, had a kid run out in front of me and slammed the brakes and had that smell for around 3 minutes. ive since tested at 60 with the car in neutral and slammed the brakes and the same thing, so it couldnt of been the clutch for that.

the day before i had one of the guys from class in it, he has a mustang and wanted to see what i could do. from a 5(ish) roll i nailed it in first, chirped 2nd, chirped 3 and let off before 4th, a car was coming.

if it was my clutch slipping for whatever reason 5 miles of slipping at 45-55 would probably seal the clutches fate, wouldnt it

1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

ok, sounds like you have a brake caliper that is locking up or sticking, creating brake smell which sometimes smells like clutch! check ur rims see if one has more brake dust, check the rotor / pads and see if one looks different than the others

let us know

Thread Information