Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

I think it's bearing noise...

Oh, man! I've got a long list of stuff falling apart all at once... The transmission is making noise, the rear suspension is squeaking like a dying monkey, my A/C belt is worn out, my driver side window button does not operate the passenger side window, and the weather stripping just came off my convertible top.

Ugh....

Anyway, on to the transmission. In another thread a while back, I asked if my driving habits could be harming my drivetrain. I didn't have anyone to teach me how to drive manual, so I had to teach myself. Anyway, at stops, I'd leave it in gear, foot on clutch. When braking, I would downshift sequentially as road speed decreased. I usually punch the throttle through 2nd gear when getting onto an on-ramp.

Anyway, when in neutral, I can hear a little "grinding" sound (sounds a lot like a roller bearing rolling, to me). When I press the clutch in neutral, I can no longer hear the sound. Also, I can hear the same sound pretty clearly when moving between gears (right before I slot the gear). I'm not sure if I'm hearing it in gear, though I KNOW I can hear it in 4th. Also, in every gear (possibly including 4th, but it's hard to tell, since convertibles have a lot of road noise), there is a whining sound that increases in pitch with road speed (out-put shaft speed?).

All of this leads me to believe that my pocket bearing is going bad.

Anyone have any other ideas of what this could be? According to All-Data, replacing any part inside the transmission is a 5-hour job. I'd love to do it myself, but I don't have the resources to drop a transmission

Also, if I do wind up having to take it in, anyone have any recommendations in the Phoenix area? I don't like anyone to touch my car (especially dealers), but I may just have to bite the bullet on this one...

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    Oh, man! I've got a long list of stuff falling apart all at once... The transmission is making noise, the rear suspension is squeaking like a dying monkey, my A/C belt is worn out, my driver side window button does not operate the passenger side window, and the weather stripping just came off my convertible top.

Ugh....

Anyway, on to the transmission. In another thread a while back, I asked if my driving habits could be harming my drivetrain. I didn't have anyone to teach me how to drive manual, so I had to teach myself. Anyway, at stops, I'd leave it in gear, foot on clutch. When braking, I would downshift sequentially as road speed decreased. I usually punch the throttle through 2nd gear when getting onto an on-ramp.

Anyway, when in neutral, I can hear a little "grinding" sound (sounds a lot like a roller bearing rolling, to me). When I press the clutch in neutral, I can no longer hear the sound. Also, I can hear the same sound pretty clearly when moving between gears (right before I slot the gear). I'm not sure if I'm hearing it in gear, though I KNOW I can hear it in 4th. Also, in every gear (possibly including 4th, but it's hard to tell, since convertibles have a lot of road noise), there is a whining sound that increases in pitch with road speed (out-put shaft speed?).

All of this leads me to believe that my pocket bearing is going bad.

Anyone have any other ideas of what this could be? According to All-Data, replacing any part inside the transmission is a 5-hour job. I'd love to do it myself, but I don't have the resources to drop a transmission

Also, if I do wind up having to take it in, anyone have any recommendations in the Phoenix area? I don't like anyone to touch my car (especially dealers), but I may just have to bite the bullet on this one...
    I sound like a throwout bearing to me. Also, when braking just throw it in neutral and use the brakes, and why down shift if you do not have to. I was taught to stay away from the clutch as much as possible. Treat it like you will blow the car up if you touch the clutch just don't use it unless you have to. You are going to pay about 60 dollars for the throwout bearing and about 350.00 to install it. Get a good brand like Timken.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Would you be willing to elaborate on this? I thought the throw-out bearing only made noise with the clutch pedal down...?

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    Would you be willing to elaborate on this? I thought the throw-out bearing only made noise with the clutch pedal down...?
    If the bearing is bad it will make noise all the time. I would have to hear the noise to make a more accurate judgement.

Thread Information