I got a problem..

This is a discussion on I got a problem.. within the Manual Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; First off I have a 01 TA with a few mods. When I am driving normally or just slightly getting ...

Blue
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am M6

I got a problem..

First off I have a 01 TA with a few mods. When I am driving normally or just slightly getting on it(low-normal rpm shifting), it has no problem going into 3rd/ 4th gear. But when I took it to the track like a few weeks ago (high rpm shifting) it doesn't like to go into gear. Like it locks me out? I put my foot down on the clutch pedal and it felt like it was almost on the floor. I pumped it a few times and then it would eventually go into gear but now without some force/help. I've had the tranny rebuilt a little over a year ago now and the clutch was replaced at the same time, but it still a stock clutch. WTF?! SO is my problem the clutch or tranny? Any ideas? Thanks

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Sounds like a bad clutch to me.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Candy Blue
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by chieftransam View Post
    First off I have a 01 TA with a few mods. When I am driving normally or just slightly getting on it(low-normal rpm shifting), it has no problem going into 3rd/ 4th gear. But when I took it to the track like a few weeks ago (high rpm shifting) it doesn't like to go into gear. Like it locks me out? I put my foot down on the clutch pedal and it felt like it was almost on the floor. I pumped it a few times and then it would eventually go into gear but now without some force/help. I've had the tranny rebuilt a little over a year ago now and the clutch was replaced at the same time, but it still a stock clutch. WTF?! SO is my problem the clutch or tranny? Any ideas? Thanks
    I had the same problem.... one of my buddies has it worse... but anyways, I replaced the clutch with a centerforce dual friction, and I still get it sometimes at high rpm for some reason... not sure what that is, I replaced the slave cylinder, and master cylinder at the same time... I think it could be the flywheel (process of elimination) because I was told I shouldn't have to change this unless it was horribly worn....?

Blue
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am M6

well I'm thinking that I will change the flywheel/clutch and make sure the slave and master cylinder are still working good.

Candy Blue
    2000 Camaro SS

see this thread... Sticking clutch pedal write-up it'll help... and if you DO change the clutch and the flywheel.... change the slave cylinder too...

Black
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMagic08 View Post
    see this thread... Sticking clutch pedal write-up it'll help... and if you DO change the clutch and the flywheel.... change the slave cylinder too...
    You beat me to it.

Does it only do it 3rd to 4th or is it in all gears? That seems to be were it starts with the sticking clutch pedal 3rd to 4th as the hydrolics get worse you may have it in other gears at high rpms.

Blue
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am M6

No it only seems to do it in 3rd and 4th but sometimes out on the interstate 5th will give me trouble. It's not the tranny, so it has to be the clutch/flywheel or hydraulics? I'll go read up on the thread... thanks.

Silver
    2004 SVT Cobra

My old trans am did this too. Only on the highway though. Change your clutch fluid and make sure theres no air in the system. If your fluids over 3 years old, that could be part of the problem.

Blue
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am M6

excuse my ignorance...but how do I change the fluid? I know where it's located but I have never changed it before.

Black
    98 Trans Am

there is a bleeder valve on the front left side of the bellhousing on the tranny... Unscrew the bleeder and have someone pump the clutch, screw back in pump clutch, check fluid.. Continue till feels good,. BEWARE tho, try not to get fluid in the bellhousing, If that occurs, the fluid will get on the clutch and eat away at it.l I have a friend who just had someone do hers and fluid is all over the clutch and hey clutch is slipping like hell.. Its a brand new clutch about 7 mon old.. Spec Stg 3 plus..

Thread Information