Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

how to powershift?

This is a discussion on how to powershift? within the Manual Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; Originally Posted by third_shift|studios so then what's it called when you up-shift w/out the clutch? It's not "rev matching" i ...

Senior Member 440 rwhp trans am's Avatar

red ta orange gto
    97 trans am 06 gto

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    so then what's it called when you up-shift w/out the clutch? It's not "rev matching" i know.
    they call it floating the gears i do it all the time in my f-250 but thats deferent. its ok to do it but you really have to know how. i would not recomend it. if you dont want to shift buy a a4.

Black
    99 SS

dont do it, and the warrenty will not cover abuse, and you can tell when a trans is abused. there is no need to power shift IMO.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel P. View Post
    I can drive a big rig without the clutch, but our only has a 5 spd, wish it had a couple more. after learnin to drive the big truck i drove my z around town one night without the clutch but i was at real low rpms, let off gas and pull out at 2500 then put backinto gear at 2000 with no grinding, but I got worried about wear so I quit.
    YES! I found that myself! shift @ 2500 and slides like oil back in @ 2000

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

Quote Originally Posted by Zboner View Post
    dont do it, and the warrenty will not cover abuse, and you can tell when a trans is abused. there is no need to power shift IMO.
    correct its pretty obvious when the car has so many miles and your chipping teeth or breaking synchros! when i was a tech for the dealer i would do anything in my power to make sure that im not doing warranty work, i mean get paid less for the same work and obviously the car has been abused, you can always look at rear tire wear and pretty much start your case as driver error!

but thats just me, drive it nice, and when a stang pulls up next to you, ... well you should now what to do kick its ass

Black
    2001 T/A M6

Big trucks are designed to be shifted without a clutch, it helps them save the clutch itself, most trucks get an average of 1 million miles on them, so to make that clutch last, they don't use it. And besides diesels operate at a much lower rpm gauge anyway. Their rev limiters are usually about 4,000 RPM's. And I think what someone was referring to before as " kicking " the clutch is actually called " sidestepping " the clutch. which isn't good for it.

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

Quote Originally Posted by BLK_On_BLK_01WS6 View Post
    Big trucks are designed to be shifted without a clutch, it helps them save the clutch itself, most trucks get an average of 1 million miles on them, so to make that clutch last, they don't use it. And besides diesels operate at a much lower rpm gauge anyway. Their rev limiters are usually about 4,000 RPM's. And I think what someone was referring to before as " kicking " the clutch is actually called " sidestepping " the clutch. which isn't good for it.
    i hope you dont mean that the clutches dont last the life of the truck lol?

Black
    2001 T/A M6

They may or may not, depends on the driver, what the truck is used to haul and of course the truck life itself.

down with the lot lizards blackhawk01's Avatar

Red
    2001 Camaro SS A4

This is how I power shift whenever I get a chance to drive a manual car thats worth power shifting.

Usually what I will do is while running at full throttle in a gear I will push the clutch in as the needle is touching redline then let off the throttle just BARELY and shift very fast and slam the throttle again and repeat.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information